Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Loud window squeal

I have the same issue and I have resolved it in the past using wd40 of all things.
  2. W

Loud screeching + battery light... Now what?

Doh! I wish I would have seen this a little earlier... Checked it out, belt was moving, so I tried to get it home, but snapped the belt and got her pretty hot. It's parked now at the Amar/Azusa McDonald's with plans to get it towed and checked out on Monday. Thanks again all for your...
  3. W

Okay, thanks for the quick answers. If it is the alternator, would it be safe to drive 2.5 miles back to my house? Or should I get a tow. It wasn't performing real well, but I would hate to pay for a tow when I don't need one, and then a 2nd tow later this week to the shop if I can't fix it...
  4. W

Hi, I was just driving today when I started to hear an odd noise, at first a slight rumble, then a screech type sound. I pulled over and shut it off, noticiing the battery light had come on. I let it sit for a few minutes, checked all the fluids, noticed no burn smell, and all fluids were...
  5. W

X Doesn't Start & Need Advice/Pic :(

Awesome, thanks!!! Joe :cool:
  6. W

Also what does the positive battery connect to. It seems to go to more than 1 place and how can I reach them?
  7. W

Ok, guys thanks for the confidence if nothing else. :thumbsup: Any idea if Napa's cable Item#: CBL717993 Price: $38.49 or Autozone's About this product: Part Number: 01459 Weight: 1.7 lbs. Note: Positive type 4 gauge; 3 wire lead; 69" length; top post; ring and butt...
  8. W

Hi, First of all let me say I have been looking on this forum and elsewhere for a day for some tips on this and/or diagrams & pics, to no avail, so forgive me if I am asking a repeat question. My 92 Explorer didn't want to start Friday, and it basically made a few clicks or electronic...
  9. W

Just Bought a 92 XLT Auto- Help me fix it? :)

HI, Well the old X has been working pretty well with the help of all of you and a few hundred spent here and there. Now I have a really bad problem. I am leaking tranny fluid pretty darn badly, and I am getting poor engagement into first when is cold. It is like when the engine is cold...
  10. W

power windows

Maybe you pressed the lock button that prevents that window from operating at its side? Try that. Joe
  11. W

rear abs brake light stays on. what do i do?

This is a super common problem. I have had this. If you want, take it to a shop that does free estimates and have them tell you the cost, probably around $500 for a new RABS valve or other part related to the anti-lock brakes. If you have no leaks and brakes work, like mine, it seems fine to...
  12. W

Broke down, won't start, 92' Explorer

My aunt lives in Springfield! Say Hi for me! Now about your problem, to a novice like me it sounds like a timing belt/chain or starter problem, or maybe the fuel pump switch that tends to need resetting on these Explorers. You can use the search feature here for how to do it. If you are...
  13. W

Noise/Rough Idle start after hot day.

Thanks for the reply. After testing it out a bit, it seems like it is back to "normal." However, when I drove it around during a hot afternoon again, it was a little weird. This time when I re-started it (after driving around for 30 minutes and leaving it sit for 10), it acted jumpy...
  14. W

Noise/Rough Idle start after hot day.

Hey there. My 92 explorer has really been doing well thanks to all of you on here. Then the weather decides to be 100 degrees today and I had to take the wife to the Doctor on a pretty steep hill. It seemed to struggle a bit, and as we started on the decline of the hill I noticed the...
  15. W

Mechanic says it isnt the Governor?

Well, I imagine there is a school of thought that the Lucas can help the Governor, and the 1st - 2nd shift improved after I added Lucas. Search around here and look for cleaning the governor or sticky governor. Good luck. Joe.
  16. W

Mechanic says it isnt the Governor?

From what I have heard, It is the governor, in that the governor is sticky. True if "broken" it wouldn't shift, but if it was "sticky" it would act like yours does. Stay tuned here for more expert advice, but I have heard this before. PS: I used Lucas Tranny Fix on my 92 a couple...
  17. W

Shifting Problems

This is very interesting! :thumbsup: Do you know what is recomended in terms of the adjustment of the tilt steering column? I have also noticed better shifting when the speedometer is not tweaking out. I have not touched the tilt once since I bought it used, but I am intirgued now...
  18. W

coolant

Personally, I think these stop leaks work unless you do a poor job of following the directions. The way they clog is if the radiator doesn't get hot enough right after you put it in, or if you put too much in. I followed the directions and it worked for me. If you are poor, like I am, it...
  19. W

how to set prices for individual parts on a 'soon to be parted out' X?

I always say with this stuff, take what anybody gives you. It is better to take $5.00 for a part that "retails" for $20.00, than to hold on to it for 2 years trying to sell it for your firm price. Start like this Engine/transsmission/big stuff $200 and up. Accessories like panels or...
  20. W

my 4.0 trany

Well it says you can put about half a bottle in when full with no problems, and I found this to be true as well. But there are those who don't like this stuff, but I like it and so do many others. I got mine at Autozone for about $8. Don't discount the Midas option. Those dudes WILL tell...
  21. W

my 4.0 trany

Take it to Midas to get a free diagnosis and then see if your friend can repair whatever Midas says is wrong. Either that or pour some Lucas Tranny Fix in. I did it in mine and it has improved about 50%. Good luck!
  22. W

What else is this truck famous for?

The engine is strong at least the guy at Firestone said he sees 1st gen explorers go through 3 trannies but the engine wont need replacing yet.
  23. W

No 4th gear, sluggish 2nd and 3rd...

Well, I added a half a bottle of Lucas tranny fix, and after about the 4th day the shifting has been much better. Earlier and smoother 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts and the overdrive-torque-converter-kinda 4th gear but not really thing also kicks in more regularly. That "4th" gear thing...
  24. W

I can drive my car in Neutral! (& park feels like it wants to move...?)

I mean this seriously, take it to AAMCO. Get their free diagnostic and then decide who will fix it them or you or someone else. Joseph.
  25. W

How to remove mold from seat belt?

Replacing it is probably the best thing, given the danger with mold, but if you are really determined not to do that, you might try a cheap bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide. If it is the right kind of mold, this is will take care of it and you can usually find a brown bottle of this stuff at a 99...
Back