Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

HOW TO: 2001 Sport Cluster Swap for 1998 Explorer

I'm performing the swap from a 2002 sport-trac 4wd to a 97XL 4wd. From my basic inspection, the peripheral gauges all look identical, a couple boards have "F77F" and "F87F" date codes. I've switched out the speedo/odo, it looks like the circuitry to it was different anyhow from the back of the...
  2. T

M5od-r1hd?

Alright, so judgement day has come and I think I'm going to have a donor tomorrow, depending on whether or not I can have someone definitively tell me that a 2wd M5OD + an extension housing for a 4wd will work for my 4wd AUTO explorer. I have the blinking light of doom.
  3. T

M5od-r1hd?

I've been told by a chip tuner guy that the 96 and 97 model year computers are identical, so that can ease a few folk's search for an exact compy. As curiousity, what is the limiter set at in neutral in relation to let's say 1:1 on the auto?
  4. T

M5od-r1hd?

It's on the transmission. I would assume it's for 2wd vehicles, since they don't have the transfer case to tell em the speed. :D I didn't think of that at first. But yes, in the manual it shows the Output Speed Sensor on the transmission and labels it as VSS. They probably all have the...
  5. T

M5od-r1hd?

The only reason I asked about the OSS is because I have the 97 explorer EVTM, and it clearly shows an output sensor, labeled as "Vehicle Speed Sensor", so I thought it odd that you wouldn't hook it up. :rolleyes: I'm still deciding what to do with the PRND21 spot, I'm half tempted to make...
  6. T

M5od-r1hd?

Yeah, I just searched everdrive for parts, they list 3 for 1997 OHV manual: F77F-GA/GB/GC Now, call me dumb, but couldn't that last letter just be revision? My auto is an F77F-AJC, updated by ford at some point in it's life (before I got it). The Auto's likewise came in AJA/B/C...
  7. T

M5od-r1hd?

would the computer out of a 99 explorer manual work in a 97 explorer? Also, does it make a difference if it's 2 or 4 door? Better yet, would someone with a 97 manual and 4wd (OHV) give me the ECU part number? I looked it up on EverDrive, and found 3 different ones. :(
  8. T

CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures)

G-96XLT: I had noise in the front end, the wheel didn't move. While I had the CV out (the first time), I spun the bearing by hand and it made really nice grinding noises, and was obviously bad. I figure that's your problem.
  9. T

Painting the Grill on a ’99 XLT - aldive

I used a 200 grit sanding block and black primer compliments wal-mart. Worked well so far, awiting to see if it stays or not (only on there 2 months so far, no noticeable chips/etc)
  10. T

Fender trimming in process....(pics!)

I like it, looks pretty good, and hopefully won't rust on you anytime soon. I've got to do some work on mine, A for rust and B, a shop (buddies garage) decided to try to jack it up by the little fender tab at the bottom near the driver's side door. So I've got a nice warp in it. Awesome dude!
  11. T

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

My Explorer doesn't show much of a difference on different gas, although sometimes it acts a bit sluggish on some gas. My old Dodge Stratus, however, was a very sensitive beast with gas. If I bought from, let's say, Quickfill, my car would stall at stopsigns. If I put in Amoco (that dates...
  12. T

Shackles??

I was at a fraternity house, so nobody cared too much. :D
  13. T

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

The way I saw it, I had the spindle most of the way off for the CV axles and upper ball joints, so I did the lowers while I was at it. When I took it out... Yeah, it needed it pretty bad. My wheel didn't move, either.
  14. T

Help!!! 97 Explorer Sick Don"tknow What Esle To Do!!!!

Yeah, on my 97 XL they are seperate units. Did it turn out to be the MAF sensor?
  15. T

Shackles??

Maybe a C-clamp press, like the one used for ball joints. I used it to get a few bolts pushed out that were stubborn before.
  16. T

Firestone spare?

Yeah, I have the 225 Firestone spare, I was told it was fine. I need a bigger spare anyhow, given my "real" tires are about 4" bigger...
  17. T

Shackles??

I used a BFH and a lot of 4 letter words, along with a ton of PB blaster and a breaker bar.
  18. T

Huge Before and After pics, Blacked out Rims, Lights, Grill

I'd have to say the billet is pretty cool, the blacked out corners aren't my style, I'd go with clears in your case, esp. if you're not going for a gangster look. Now, tinted rears are awesome looking, and I think would go well with yours...
  19. T

People and Yields

That sucks man. I guess now I was lucky that the woman that decided to use the passing lane as an expressway and slam into the side of my 97 with a trans-sport van ran. (Don't think she got far, she was leaking antifreeze and tranny fluid. The Flint Police never looked for her.) Long story...
  20. T

Huge Before and After pics, Blacked out Rims, Lights, Grill

I agree on painting all the trim/valence, I've just been too lazy to do the valence on mine... I kind of like the center caps, though... Overall, I like it!
  21. T

FMS Disgust, with pics.

Compared to that you could call me an artist, hahaha
  22. T

oops. I thought he'd measured the temp underhood and compared it with the reading from the IAT, I realize he was talking outdoor temp now.
  23. T

Goodbye Torsion Bars

That looks great! Let's see... What part of my explorer gets the #$%@ kicked out of it when I try to go over stuff... Oh yeah, my Torsion Bars! This is a great idea, I'll add it to the list of 'em I'm deciding to do...
  24. T

Use some contact cleaner on the plug to the intake temp sensor. if that doesn't help, replace it. What does your exhaust smell like?
  25. T

Well, without a MAF it's going open loop... if it does better that way, it could be your O2 Sensors, they have a VERY broad range before they'll throw a code, and can have a large impact on your performance.
Back