Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Howling noise from rear end at highway speeds

I would put money on the bearings. Mine did the same thing seemed to fade out at highway speeds. This was a couple of years ago I purchased the hub from a junkyard off a totaled EX with 30,000 miles on it. Has given me no problems since, saved about 1/2 the cost of a new one.
  2. J

Are extended warranties a good buy?..

Well getting a factory warranty is no longer an option due to higher mileage. I would like to know the companies that you guys have had success with. I have got a couple and will check them out. Thanks for the response.
  3. J

Are extended warranties a good buy?..

I am in the process of buying a new to me van for my wife. I have never purchased an extended warranty before but am seriously considering it. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? Good experiences and bad...with so many different companies out there who knows...
  4. J

What repairs have you done to your 3rd gen so far?

I have an 02 XLT bought with 92,000 on it two years ago. I have replaced: two wheel bearings, LF/RR. Servo unit for the CC. The actuator door for the rear AC. Also new battery, tires, and tranny fluid change and filter.
  5. J

I swear I looked!!!...Ticking under the dash

Well that figures I replaced the rear one a couple of years ago so now I have to pull the dang thing apart up front. Well I guess it sounds like a weekend project in the near future. Mine also sounds like it's coming from the behind the radio as well. So I guess we will have to poke around...
  6. J

Ok I must say this is getting quite annoying. It may be normal but is there any way to get it to stop? Would a new relay cure the problem and if so where does one find the thing?
  7. J

What kind of milage should I expect, and what do you get?

I get 13/17 with a majority of my miles in the city.
  8. J

Last fall I noticed that I was getting under the dash at infrequent intervals. I could shut the AC/Heater off and on then it would quit. Hadn't heard it all winter. I just recently started using the AC this summer and the sound has returned. There are times that cycling the AC on and off...
  9. J

Wheel bearing issue

I had the right rear and the left front go out on my 02 went to the junkyard and got the complete hub assembly ($60 each) from an 05 with 30,000 on it. Paid someone to put them on total cost was $350 for the both of them. The only issue was the rear hub would not swap out and he had to press...
  10. J

My rear is whining...no not that REAR!

Mine was doing the same thing and it turned out to be the RR wheel bearings. May want to consider that option before having the rear end pulled apart.
  11. J

Spark Plug Question...

Thanks Cornburner you learn something everyday around here.
  12. J

Spark Plug Question...

Changed the plugs yesterday in my 02 4.0. Not a big deal took me about an hour start to finish. My question is that the old plugs on the left side were gapped at about .90+. But the right side was only at about .75-.80. Is this common to find with old plugs? I guess I have never come...
  13. J

2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question

Yes that is what I meant, it took about 15 minutes from start to finish on the front the rear one was the issue.
  14. J

2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question

I had the left front and the right rear go on mine at the same time. I bought the hub assemblies from a junkyard off an 05 with 20,000 miles on it. The front one swaped out but had to press the back one out and replace it with the 05. The front one took 20 mins. The back one took 3 hours...
  15. J

Squeaky Window

I finally got tired of the noise and pulled the panel again. What I found was a pulley near the top of the door just about 2-3" from the rear of the window. May be able to see it with a light without pulling the panel. I took a can of WD-40 with a straw and placed the straw on the pulley...
  16. J

Foamy oil filler cap.

I have seen a couple of engines that have been torn down with the same type of substance you have described. When I asked I was told that Pennzoil was famous for it, and the cause. I was advised never to use it and I never have. Just so you know I am not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV...
  17. J

Foamy oil filler cap.

Just out of curiosity what type of oil do you run? Would it be Pennzoil by chance?
  18. J

Squeaky Window

Mine squeaks on the way up as well I pulled the door panel and sprayed the tracks and it didn't help at all. If anyone knows the cure PLEASE post it.
  19. J

Tranny Flush

Actually I checked around and found that the Dealership was the cheapest in my area, $120. Everywhere else I was quoted at least $160 - $210.
  20. J

Rear End Humming Noise

I was having the same noise on my 02 XLT and was fearing the rear end. It however turned out to be the right rear wheel bearing. I was never so happy to spend $300 on a repair bill. Take it to a couple of different repair shops before just turning it over to the dealership.
  21. J

2002 Explorer Transmission Problems...Please Help the NEWB!

Tranny Issues I was having the same problem with my 02' 4.0. I was having the issue shifting from 1st to 2nd. I took it to the the dealership (actually the cheapest I could find :eek: ) had the filter changed and flushed. That was this spring and the issue has disappeared. I say try the...
  22. J

Frustrated Explorer

OW- Assuming by the posts and the money spent I would assume the vehicle is no longer under warranty? How long after the warranty expired did the problem start. You may be able to speak with the manager of the dealership and reason with him to help pay for the cost of the repairs. If his...
  23. J

Rear Diff additive?

Had it in the shop today I was informed that I need a RR and a LF wheel (hub) bearings. I almost hate to say that it was a relief to find that out.
  24. J

Do I need new front wheel bearings?

How difficult is it to change the wheel bearings. I was just told that I need a LF and a RR replaced. I am wondering if this is a job a novice can tackle.
  25. J

Rear Diff additive?

My 02 is about to the the 100,000 mile mark. If I have the rear diff drained and replaceed with a quality syn. does that help the sound? What exactly is causing this issue? Thanks for the help
Back