Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

stock 283 into B4000?

I was thinking of buying a used B4000(or Ranger) 4X4 auto with good frame and TC. One way to make up for the gas guzzling would be to use a small stock 8. It would make up for that little bit of power it should have got out of the 4ltr, and offer 8 -10 additional HP for that extra...
  2. A

Drive train rumble at 60mph

On my 2006 Ranger,3ltr,auto(R55 I think),2X4,160K I get a floor pan rumble that starts at 60-62 MPH/2100rpm and gets worse the faster I go. UV joint was replaced at 110km, no shimmy in front end. I may have a slight use in my passenger tie rod, but the steering is calm. I'm thinking of...
  3. A

06 Ford Ranger VIN Digit 4 is a "Y"

Looking for towing a small camper, but not the canvas sided ones, all solid sides. Can anyone tell me what a Y classification in digit 4 represents. VIN aside, my truck has the Payload Package 2 and automatic trans(I thinks it's the R55, can't remember) with cooler options and is 3ltr. It...
  4. A

2002 Transmission gush

Manufacturing defect. Caused by dissimilar metals in contact and aggravated by exposure to road chemicals(especially salt in northern states). The snap ring is steel and the trans case is aluminum. Over time one gets eaten away and ring pops out of groove. The typical garage fix here up north is...
  5. A

Noise when shifting into park on replacement transmission

I don't think this is much help, but on a rebuilt Comanche standard tranny I had done, it was tight synchronizers that caused grinding gears on mine. I had to double shift to get it to go in.
  6. A

Oil Pouring out 5R44 transmission, Passenger sideof

I brought it to the shop he suggested and they fixed it with no problem. Cost me 250 including the tow and a new snap ring, which i figure was pretty good. I would guess the heat shields needed to be removed. (I was ready to crawl under it in my driveway and change it, but my wife reminded me I...
  7. A

I'd say so, it dropped to -24 that day. But I did a call to a transmission shop and happened to get to talk to a retired old timer. When I explained everything he said he did a lot of the 5R and 4R with that same problem. He said it's the groove in the servo tube. The "C" ring and the tube...
  8. A

2006 Ranger, 3ltr, Mileage 150K. Oil&filter changed at 105K. Oil is seeping out the front servo aperture (nearest bell housing). #904 at the following site: http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/A4LD.pdf The snap ring end is protruding. Can anyone tell me why cap...
  9. A

Poor Gas Mileage,Locking Hubs B4000

Just looking at the front axle on the 2003 4Ltr Mazda B4000 4X4 Standard, and wondering if putting locking hubs on it would improve the horrendous gas mileage for these vehicles. Years ago I did that on my Jeep Wagoneer because it was designed to free wheel the front drive train up to the T...
  10. A

Very Cold 5W55W, won't go to 3rd unless warm

Since I bought my new 3ltr 2006 Ranger Auto, it always shifted to the 3rd gear when cold. Now I'm talking around -20 celsius, no problem. This winter it doesn't seem to want to third gear shift until warmed up. I went onto the highway this morning right from a friend's place 1/4 mile away, tried...
  11. A

Trailer capacity/Axle Limits

I'm building a deep keel trailer for my sailboat which weighs in at 3500lbs. The trailer I would guess would be 500 +-, but I can't tell right now. I have two options for a drop axle tandem w/ brakes. I could go 2500lbs each, or, 3500lbs each, which I was happy to learn were the same...
  12. A

2006 Ranger engine tranny replace (by dealer)?

Can I swap out a 3litre to a new 4, and upgrade my tranny for a new one known to be tougher for towing?. What would a dealer charge for this? Could it handle 4000lbs towing?. Thanks
  13. A

Ranger 2006 v6 auto swap out cost?

Can I swap out my 3 litre auto for a beefier 4litre and new towing tranny? I need to pull 4500lbs quite a distance. It already has a towing package and payload II, and it does OK with 2500-3000lbs because I've been doing it since new hauling crushed stone and rock powder. I like the...
  14. A

Stop light fuse location 3litre 2006

Anyone know the fuse number of the brake light fuse on 2006 ranger?. Thanks.
  15. A

Need to Trailer Keel Boat

I have a Ranger 2006 3ltr auto, payload pack II, w/trailer package. I have hauled 2 cords of wood at a time(in the box) with this truck, 16 cords a year since new w/air shocks. Truck doesn't seem to mind this at 70Khr. Runs like a dream. I have a 3500 lb hitch. I need to make one trip with...
  16. A

Oil Filter QS3600 WARNING 06 Rangers 3 ltr

This is the second time I had a QS3600 oil filter removed from my 06 Ranger 3 litre with an empty and dry main cavity after 5000 miles. I didn't think much of it the first time around as I change oil frequently and use a Fram. Then I forgot about it and bought another QS3600. This time...
  17. A

How to flush out a cooling system?

Just one caution I would like to make for owner coolant changes. The block thermostat is activated on hot coolant, not the air temperature within the block channels. If you manage to get all the water out of the block and the thermostat is cold, and you run the engine to hot, then heat...
  18. A

Solved Transmission Common Sense If You Have A Problem....

Blaaaaaaat "contestant is wrong, you lose 500 points". The first thing you do is "CHECK FUSES". Ford in it's wisdom decided to group incompatible components onto one fuse. ie: heating circuits with conventional. (Ref: Fuse #41, 2006 Rangers). In the 2006 the tran codes you...
  19. A

Just quick F150Raptor question

Since i'm already a member on a Ford Forum, I was wondering if I could ask a question concerning the Raptor. Is the 4X4 raptor available in the XL LB version?. Actually it would even look better in this style without the "mommie" back seat. Thanx Andy
  20. A

"O/D" Flashing,no 1st gear, SES Solved

I was trying to post this in the technician tips but we're not allowed. There should be a solution forum for follow up. Please transfer this if there is one. My classic symptoms "O/D: flashing, limp home mode,no 1st gear, SES" with engine rough idle, turned out to be overheating component on...
  21. A

Mechanic Incompetence

If asked how much would I be willing to pay for diagnostic work, since it's electrical and could take time, what do you answer?. Not knowing how to answer a question like this I say, "What is the reasonable timeline that Ford expects you to provide for this area of my truck". If I say...
  22. A

2011 Ranger not for U.S.

KPSquared: My 06 ranger 3l LB auto, is a farm truck and it does the job. Every season I carry 2 cords firewood a trip until I get 20 cords, and that's where I can get the wood which could be 25miles. I can hook the trailer on for an extra cord and I'm sure it could take it. It had 300 miles on...
  23. A

3 Litre, Bad Filter or Flow Problem?

Would restricted flow through a filter throw an error code on my Ranger.? My filter sits to the rear a little so when I take it off I usually get some spill out. When I took it off to change it the central cavity was clean, but it was bottom heavy with sediment because it was heavier than...
  24. A

Ranger sits lower driver side.

Thanks everyone. Guess it's no big deal. Andy
  25. A

Ranger sits lower driver side.

My 06 ranger LB sits 1/2in lower on driver side on level ground measured from inside box well to tire tread. First thing that came to mind was a broken spring, but they seem to be ok. Next is weak spring, but that seems premature too. Nothing loaded on one side either. I sport Payload...
Back