Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

I just did both fronts on my 2002. I will say this is the only time I regret buying the 4x4, the 2wd would have been gravy. Using thin wall sockets, I was able to get the hub bolts off without too much effort after using the air hammer with the blunt point chisel, to push the axle back. I feel...
  2. F

Rear sway bar stabilizer bushing replacement info

I noticed my entire rear bar was loose, from the end links, and both frame to bar bushings were toast. No parts house could find the bushings listed, so I ended up at the dealership. I got the new Moog endlinks online. For what it's worth it a pretty easy job, though access is very limited...
  3. F

installing OEM running boards on 2002 explorer?

Yeah I wish I could just swap with someone, both my wife and I are in school so spare change is hard to come by these days. I'm a pretty simple person, so I think the plain boards are more my style. I prefer function over flash/fashion. That's probably obvious from my completely stock...
  4. F

Those pics are exactly what I was hoping for. This gives me the confidence that the holes are all there, just need all the bracketry, nuts, bolts, etc. Thanks 1996EB for the pics, and thanks Tankentaisha for the thoughts, agreed that the running boards will be handy.
  5. F

Guys, I've owned my 2002 Explorer since new, and have never needed running boards since I'm 6'3" tall. But now I have young kids, and it's tough for them to climb in the truck. So I'm looking to buy a pair of boards from a wrecked truck, and prefer the OEM look (and junk yard price). My...
  6. F

Disappointing towing performance

What gears does your truck have? All 4 door explorers came with a trailer tow package 2002 and newer, but there was a HD towing package that was optional.
  7. F

guy48065 My expectations come from a direct comparison between a 1995 F-150 5.0 V8 and my 2002 Explorer 4.6 V8. Hands down, no question, my Explorer out towed my F-150. My Explorer has more power (240 vs. 195), more torque (280 vs. 270), more gears in the tranny (5 vs. 4), better rear gears...
  8. F

I guess it all depends on your expectations. 1st thing is ST tires (trailer tires) are rated for 65 MPH, so at 70 you are over their limit. I pull a 23 foot full height travel trailer that weighs about a bit under 5K lbs. and has a massive amount of wind resistance. I won't win any races while...
  9. F

Sneak Peak: My Jurassic Park Explorer

Awesome job, and you are in Houston too, maybe I'll get to see it in person one day. I always wanted to make a screen accurate JP X, but I have A.D.D. and oh, something shiney!
  10. F

Parting Out 2000 Explorer XLS

Wanted to say thanks for the parts. They arrived as described and for a great price. Thanks again.
  11. F

Yep, that's the one. The seal that makes a complete loop, and fits on the body, that the door seals to when closed. If it's in good shape (not torn) sounds good to me. How do you like payment? Not sure if my PayPal is active.
  12. F

Got the driver side door seal in good shape? My moms mountaineer's seal is torn. If so, what you want for it shipped to 77385?
  13. F

Have a 4.6L? Here's a problem I bet you all have...

I just fixed this on my very late build '02 with 55K miles. Since none of my wires were damaged yet, I simply used a thick metal rod (about the size of a pencil) and ziptied it to the bottom of the harness. That metal rod will do a ton of damage to the plastic funnel long before the plastic...
  14. F

2003 Explorer dropped its rear gear housing (threaded insert fractured)

dang! that thing is RUSTY!!! Never seen the underside of a car look like that unless it lived on the beach.
  15. F

Travel Trailer

I have a 21 foot Travel Trailer, I purchased the equalizer brand WDH, and a prodigy brake controller. Been pleased with the setup, and glad I spent a bit more money on more expensive (better) towing accessories.
  16. F

Trailer towing ??

26 feet is pretty long for a Travel trailer behind the Explorer with it's 114" wheel base. The tail will likely wag the dog, and it will be a very uncomfortable tow. I tow a 21 foot travel trailer and wouldn't go ANY longer.
  17. F

are 2002's really that bad? (it's a bad title I'll try to explain)

I have a late build 7/2002 and I've had to replace a defective instrument cluster out of warranty. Everything else was replaced under the original 3 year 36K warranty and I really can't remember what all was done, but I'd say about three items were repaired, and none were terribly big deals.
  18. F

Factory Tow Wiring Harness

not sure if they are available for your controler, but for my Prodigy controler, I was able to get a wiring harness that had a matching connector to my Trucks harness on one end and a connector that hooked up to the controler on the other. I think it was 15 bucks and I didn't have to do any...
  19. F

Need honest opinion!!! Please help!

I would tend to agree with the nay sayers. I pull a ~4,500 lb 21' travel trailer with my V8/tow package equipped explorer and I wouldn't want to go much heavier. Also note there is a big difference between pulling a 5,000 lb. boat than a 5,000 lb. Travel Trailer. The Frontal Area creates a...
  20. F

What is the difference gen III 3.55 to 3.73 towing capacity?

I respectfully dissagree. Springs are computer selected during manufacture, and which spring is selected to go on the truck depends on which options are selected (basically what the truck is going to weigh when it's done) and packages like towing, 3rd seat and rear a/c, etc. My Explorer...
  21. F

U-Haul won't rent me an auto transport trailer

I had that problem as well. I wanted to move a Taurus across the state, but Uhaul wouldn't rent it to me because the tow vehicle didn't weigh enough. So I came back the next day and told them I was moving a Ford Festiva, and they rented me an auto transport to me no problem. Also your...
  22. F

What is the difference gen III 3.55 to 3.73 towing capacity?

Brakes are the same, but the spring rates are different to handle more tongue weight. The brake controler is only an aftermarket item, but the wiring is provided on the vehicle, at least with the tow package it is. There is also a question of oil cooler, transmission cooler, etc. Not sure...
  23. F

Tow hook question/roof rack

Yeah, I added factory tow loops to my explorer, got them from ford. They had a bit of rust where some of the paint had been knocked off, so I know they are some type of iron.
  24. F

New guy, old truck...

Welcome. I've no experience with the products you've spoken of, but I just recently finsished detailing my explorer and giving it a nice coat of Meguiare's wax, and it looks awesome. For 8 year old paint that was abused the first three years of it's life you sure couldn't tell it's history...
  25. F

Ranger tow package electrical wiring.

Have you looked under the rear bumper? seems to me Rangers have been equipped with a flat 4 connector for towing for the last ~10 years standard.
Back