Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

2nd to 3rd Slip - Sometimes.....

Glacier - I hear ya. But at this point the guy at fordparts.com has gone out of his way to help me and I am going to go ahead and get the correct part. Hate to see a good deed punished.... Brad - Thanks a bunch, buddy. I'm going to go ahead and get a new EPC but I sure appreciate the...
  2. T

And I haven't even gotten dirty......... I just got an e-mail from fordparts.com. Ken says that EPC – XL2Z-7G383-AA is the wrong part for a 1996 with a 4R55E . Says it should be F5TZ-7H144-A and it's $242.23. Any comments greatly appreciated as I am getting that sinking feeling. He also...
  3. T

Parts are on the way..... If anyone else tries to follow this, I bought the first parts (EPC, Sol. Bracket, Sep Plate, TSB Kit) from fordparts.com. The second list of parts I did buy through bulkparts but, after some initial frustration, decided that Makco Distributing, Inc. must be the...
  4. T

Yes sir, I have been doing that since the very beginning. I appreciate the help the you, Glacier, and others offer and I want to avoid running to the computer every other time I remover a bolt or a screw. I have the Ford TSB CD now and an ATSG manual on the way and I have the wife braced for...
  5. T

OK, I hope you're saying that the 4R55E and 5R55E are similar enough that I should read the "5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary" sticky to familiarize myself with my 4R55E. If so, I'm on it. As for pointing out any errors and omissions I might find, please be advised that I can be annoying...
  6. T

Thanks. I have the 4.0L and I just ordered the ATSG manual. So hopefully my future questions will sound more like I belong under the car. Speaking of which, I just got under it for a quick look. That isn't going to be an easy place to work. I may have to start with some taller jack stands...
  7. T

Wilco on both. I think the TV show Trucks just did a shift kit on an S10 and I will watch it again too. Sorry to be dense, but can I see what transmission I have from underneath the Explorer? ATSG has a bookstore on their web site but I want to order the right book! Tom
  8. T

I have rebuilt several engines but it was so long ago that they had points and carburetors (over twenty years ago). The last couple of decades I did little more than oil changes and tire rotations. In February I was allowed to assist with some of the easier parts of an annual inspection on an...
  9. T

1996 Explorer XLT 4WD automatic - 76,000 miles - one owner, mainly wife driven (until now), no towing, no off road, no abuse other than not getting driven much the last 2 years. I have tried to read through the posts to learn a bit but I'm still no transmission man. I have saved and...
  10. T

96 Explorer - Emergency Brake

After some thought and a couple days delay, I did end up listening to you and MWKING. Yeah, both actuators were free when I put everything back together again but this isn't something I'm anxious to do again. I took the e-brakes apart again and used caliper grease on the two pieces that make up...
  11. T

Ford Dealership...need second opinion!

I just did my e-brake during a brake job. It holds the car now when I park but it got late and I didn't get to test it thoroughly. I'm trying to get a feel for just how tightly I should adjust it. Should I be able to lock the rears with that 'go cart' brake, or am I just remembering the old...
  12. T

Frozen Rotors - 96 Explorer - Front

I will make sure they are greased when it goes back together. I bought the proper grease yesterday. I'm still trying to understand how lack of grease would cause the inner rotor surface to wear out but not the inner pad........
  13. T

I think maybe I was being a little impatient with the penetrating oil. I had plans and went to get cleaned up. Half an hour later I was the only one ready to go. I went down to the garage to glare at mess I got myself into. Knowing I couldn't really do much, I picked up the big rubber mallet...
  14. T

Will do. Am near the point of collapse amid a chorus of whimpering & cursing and starting to blow spit bubbles.......
  15. T

96 XLT 4WD My 'little' project continues..... Rear is nearly complete but I wanted to get the front rotors machined today, which is looking pretty unlikely. I don't have a manual yet but I have one on the way. Autozone...
  16. T

Thanks. I see what you're saying and the actuator is free. I don't think I did a very good job of describing what's bothering me. The cables aren't locked together at the 'Y' junction. http://home.fuse.net/tjmcquinn/Explorer_EmBrkCable.jpg The single cable coming from the e-brake...
  17. T

96 Explorer, XLT, 4WD I have a couple of questions about the emergency brakes. First, is it really, really hard to replace the brake shoes or have I just failed some demonic IQ test that Ford was giving me? I have one of them back together but it was a pretty hard little space to try to...
  18. T

96 Explorer XLT - safe jack stand position?

Thanks again! When I put the floor jack under the center crossmember it lifted both wheels and I saw that the tabs are more substantial than I thought they were. I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do all four wheels at once. First off, I need the garage back. Second, a friend has...
  19. T

Thanks. I see in the owner's manual that this is where the jack goes but it looked a little shaky for getting all 4 wheels in the air. I will give it a try!
  20. T

Hello all. I am brand new here. I used to be a car guy but I've spent the last 20 years working in offices and letting my mechanical skills decline. I hate to start out with a really ignorant question but I have to start somewhere if I'm ever going to become mechanically proficient again...
Back