Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

2001 Tune-up Top Ten Items

i just picked up the K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) for my '99 XLT and my scangage II reported it raised my gas mileage by over 3 MPG. not bad seeing how i was only getting about 13 MPG. (stupid city driving, i have an average speed of about 15 MPH, lol) so yea, if you are...
  2. V

Factory Alarm in a 1999 XLT?

I have a '99 XLT and i have a factory alarm. if you look under the steering wheel next to the handle to pop the hood you should see a little LED light that looks aftermarket (just screwed in) also, pop your hood, on the right hand side under the brake master cylinder you should see a blow...
  3. V

Abs Lite Always On

most places like Midas charge you an arm and a leg to scan the ABS codes. The light constantly on means that the ABS has failed a saftey check and is disabled... nothing to worry about really, unless you get into an accident. mine went on about 1-2 months ago and i got it read and they said...
  4. V

Rattling Explorer

Welcome to the forums!! I had the same thing a while back, turned out it was the loose change in my cupholder.... j/k where does the sound come from? Front, rear, left, right, interior? Just to help us pinpoint it... maybe your tires need to be balanced and your hood needs to be...
  5. V

Changing light bulbs in gauges.

yea, kinda easy to do but timestaking follow Dead Link Removed to tear apart your dash. you only have to go to like step 14. I think i read somewhere that you use bulb #194. the whole process should take you no longer than 1 1/2 hours start to finish. GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN. edit: I...
  6. V

Unlock Back Windows

Mbrooks420 is right. the shape of inside the door prevents the window going all the way down. no mod that i know of can make it go all the way down.
  7. V

How Do I Know If I Have A Factory Alarm System?

yea, the PATS is working. to test your PATS system go to a locksmith and get a copy of your key WITHOUT the pats chip in it (so it looks kinda like a house key) and try to start your truck with that. it shouldn't start. (make sure you dont have the real key on you when you test. leave it in...
  8. V

How Do I Know If I Have A Factory Alarm System?

when i arm my system (either with the fob or mannually by hitting the lock button on the door) i hear a chirp from my alarm horn. if i hit it twice then the horn will chirp. best bet is to look in your engine compartment for the alarm horn. i have the 4.0L and it is right underneath the...
  9. V

V8 5.0 Oil Pressure woes..

it is your sending unit... mine only worked when the outside temp was ~60 F. any hotter than that and it would go down to 0. replaced the unit (~$20) took me around 20 min for install (i have the 4.0L and to get to that one you had to take off the drivers side wheel) very easy fix. Viper
  10. V

white gauge face

mine dont do that, i have about 2 mm clearance on my needles... i did notice that around 50 mph yesterday it jumped alittle when deaccelerating, but only that once... Yea, i forgot to tell you, i broke it off and LOST it!! lol, it sucked... that's why i had to cut another one up... Viper
  11. V

white gauge face

old topic i know. mine had a dimmer switch attached to the "brain" that routes down to where the hood latch is. And yes it's way too bright on full blast, i had to dim mine down alittle so i didn't get so much glare from it... couldn't see out the window... To CISURFER: when you broke...
  12. V

-Your Explorer-

1. 1999 XLT SOHC - all the bells and whistles.. 2. $8,000 ($2,000 under KBB) 3. 60,000 4. 75,000 5. bought it aproxx. one year ago it was a "corporate lease vehicle" so it was babied it's first few years and since i've had it. not a scratch on it, like showroom when bought. Very...
  13. V

[HELP!] I think my fuel system is messing up.

no, i noticed it was like that shortly after i bought it about 1 year ago and it hasn't cause any problems so i left it alone till i got enough money to get a new battery. but when i took of the terminals i noticed that they were sort of corrroded(sp.) so i cleaned them good with a wire brush...
  14. V

ok, today i pulled out the battery and took it up to autozone and had it checked. He said it was a good battery BUT it appears someone tried to put the negative terminal on with a hammer and smashed it in alittle. when we tilted it sideways battery acid started pouring out. LOL. Not really...
  15. V

I also used the search and found this other thread that said: if a fuel pump has a high pitched buzz to it then it is healthy, but if it's a low pitched tone than it's going bad. can anyone confirm or deny this theory? mine (after i switched the relays) is a high pitched buzz. didn't really...
  16. V

ok, so yesterday i get ready for work and go to start my truck and it starts right up like every other time then about 3-4 seconds later it just dies... it would not start again. it was turning over but it was like it wasn't getting any fuel. So i turned off the radio and all the warning...
  17. V

96 explorer, MAX AC switches to Defrost under any accelleration

you might have a vacuum leak somewhere or your selector might be going out on you (which is very bad, expensive to replace)
  18. V

Stock speakers cutting in and out

or by the picture in your avatar you have some serious flooding issues ;) j/k the connectors on the back of the speakers would be my first guess. (it looks hard to take the door panel off but it takes about 10-15 min to fully disassemble it) Good luck Viper
  19. V

How to: Flushing Radiators With Pressure

question: i'm starting to see this "radiator flush" stuff on the shelves at my local auto parts store. supposably you pour this into your radiator, turn the truck on for like 15-30 min (idle or crusing) then drain the radiator and it gets rid of all the crap in it. my question is...
  20. V

'97 4.0 OHV idle shudder problem

my dad had an old cutlass and it did that shuttering at idle thing. he replaced the fuel filter and it ran like it was brand new. plus your is a '97, it couldn't hurt to do that. it's like an hour job max. i also had a contour where the motor mounts were completely wore out and got those...
  21. V

help, I changed my spark plugs and then my ((ABS)) light came on...

Well, i had to do it. i took it to the shop today and had the codes pulled for $40 and they came back as: C1230 - REAR SPEED SENSOR FAULT C1102 - ACCELERATION SWITCH FAULT the guy said when the first one goes off, the second one goes off as well because of the automatic 4WD. i went...
  22. V

Life of stock spark plugs?

just replaced mine on my '99 X about 2 weeks ago with 75000 miles and they were way out of range (about like daveleeander's plugs). might be a good idea to have the shop do it. although it will be costly ($200-$300) it might be worth it. It took me and a buddy 3 1/2 hours to replace them all...
  23. V

c'mon, i know someone out there knows the answer to this... i have to go on a 6 hour trip next week and it would be a pleasure for the ABS to work for that trip... THANKS ALOT :banghead: Viper
  24. V

No reverse lights

nevermind this post.....I was alittle "toasty" last night. I don't remember writing this post... :o
  25. V

OK, let's see what input we can get... i think i messed with that one. but i dont know what it does. i think it goes to the power steering pump but im not sure. i didn't even touch the abs system although i might have messed with the master brake cylinder plugs while reaching for the...
Back