Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Fuel Pump - Preventative Maintenance?

My 2006 V8 has ~130k on it, Is the fuel pump something you would do proactively? For those that have had a pump replaced, at what mileage did you need to have it done?
  2. B

Acceleration issue

In the 4 times it has done this only once did I see the RSC light come on.
  3. B

Acceleration issue

Today when trying to pull out into heavy traffic I accelerated at full throttle which was greeted by rapid acceleration followed by the engine being depowered. If I accelerate normally everything is fine but if I go to full throttle either from a dead stop or a roll the vehicle acts as if the...
  4. B

Slipping during start up

mine has done it for years. I attribute it to the converter leaking down while sitting.
  5. B

Actual gas mileage of ford explorers?

2006 V8 4x4. Normal day to day suburban driving - 14-17 depending on temp and fuel. Hwy doing 70-77 18-20 depending on temp and fuel. Best I have ever done was a bit over 23 Worst was a trip up north when it was no warmer than -20 f with strong head wind Hwy driving I got 12
  6. B

poll: pull head or engine

I also say motor, while you are in there replace the rear main seal, take a look at the motor mounts, etc.
  7. B

2008 Limited 4.6L small coolant leak.

I had the exact same issue on my 06 V8 limited. Got some of the Ford stop leak tablets and so far so good....
  8. B

New struts

Anyone have any experience with the Monroe Quick-Struts? They are full bolt in assembles for the struts, no need to swap any parts over to the new strut. Figure this could be a real time saver not having to run all 4 struts to Napa and wait for them to swap the springs. Just curious if they...
  9. B

08 4.6l exhaust manifold leak, snapped bolts

If they can't drill out a broken bolt due to engine compartment interference, yes. When I trade it in I will just make sure it is good and warm....
  10. B

Clean and shiny engine

From new I lightly coat the engine with no touch tire spray. Makes it very easy to just rinse the engine off. I would avoid pressure washing the engine unless you cover all the wire harness connections but hose pressure has always been fine for me.
  11. B

08 4.6l exhaust manifold leak, snapped bolts

I decided to let the ticking occur when the shop gave me the times to pull the head on that motor. Book time is only 1 hour more to pull the whole engine...
  12. B

Brake pad life

I had to do mine around 70k, front and rear both pads and rotors.
  13. B

Highest mileage on 06 and up Explorers (over 100K miles)

Close enough to 100k to count (98k). 2006 v8 Limited 3rd row motor (2x) broken again Drivers lumbar support (2x) broken again Intake manifold Radiator factory issue with left rear ABS wire Exhaust manifold 2 TPMS sensors
  14. B

Upper intake manifold gasket

Thanks for the note but from diagram they had at Ford those are still the lower.
  15. B

Upper intake manifold gasket

I need to replace the intake gasket on my 06 Explorer V8. I have the intake off and can see that there is some damage to the upper gasket for cylinder 6 but according to ford the upper gaskets are not serviced separate from the manifold assembly. Has anyone found a source for the upper...
  16. B

Disappointing Gas Mileage When Towing

I towed a ~ 4,000 lbs boat with an F-150 Ecoboost 250 miles mostly highway averaging around 70. The truck had huge power, towed great, but returned ~ 11mpg. This was from Illinois into Wisconsin, no huge hills and I wasn't beating on it. The return trip (unloaded) gave me 20mpg.
  17. B

Disappointing Gas Mileage When Towing

My experience has been doing better than 12mpg with more than 3,000 lbs behind you requires a diesel.... And yes, that includes an experience with an Ecoboost.
  18. B

V8 Exhaust Gasket Leak

Thanks swetrid. So it is only the right side manifold that warps?
  19. B

V8 Exhaust Gasket Leak

After speaking to the shop that is going to do the work for me we decided if the studs break they are going to pull the engine from the vehicle. Labor to R/I passenger head is ~ 21hrs, labor to R/I the long block is ~ 23hrs. If they need to pull the engine I will have the exhaust gaskets on...
  20. B

V8 Exhaust Gasket Leak

Took my 06 V8 with 95k into my local shop to have them locate an exhaust leak that has been going on for a few month. The leak is not that bad and only occurs when the car is cold. Shop located the leak and the culprit appears to be a passenger side manifold gasket. They did not want to...
  21. B

Scangauge II problems

Buying one James, Be sure to tell your boss that your answers to these question resulted in sales of your product. I just ordered one. Thanks for the help.
  22. B

Noisey Lifter - 2007 4.6 litre, 110K km

I also have a noisy lifter, just for bit when first started. Mine started doing this @ 25k miles, Ford said nothing to worry about, I told them put their money where their mouth is and got a 100k mile engine warranty. 90k on the vehicle now and, knock on wood, no issues.
  23. B

V8 Spark Plug Replacement

I have also heard a HEAVY dose of a product like Seafoam (think 2-3 cans to one tank of gas) can help to break up the carbon. Buy the extraction tool and have it handy, it is easy to use if you end up needing it.
  24. B

Misfire diagnosis

Have not done the job yet, I have determined the main culprit is very cold temps. When the exterior temp is very cold the block and the intake are warming and expanding at different rates and until the intake comes up to the same temp as the block there is a leak. We have had much warmer temps...
Back