Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

4r44e dropped reverse

Deja Vue
  2. J

I need to convert a 96 4x4 to 2x4 temporarily

You can add a spacer behind the high/low gear to lock it in high range. It can also be "Lincoln Lockered" but not as reverseable. Are you working on an B/W 1354 or 4405?
  3. J

MPG reading after recalibration

It should go up by the margin of error. I would think it is reading more than 8% slow if everything else is stock. The way I like to check is to go to one of those "Measured one mile" markers on the highway and see what my odometer measures down to the tenths. The tenths over or under directly...
  4. J

Boom, I will answer your question about, "What is a torsion bar?". It is what you have to twist down in the morning so you don't mess up the oval office. It is also what you use on that "ass essory" <sp> on your RF wheel. Let me know if either is incorrect.
  5. J

I have a 2WD output shaft and adapter but you probably don't have time to mess with that. I would remove the shift motor and see if you can manually shift it to 4HI or 2WD with visegrips. If all you can get to is 4HI you will have to disengage at least one of your front axles to drive it on the...
  6. J

351 windsor

Maintenance will be rough. If you are going to do that you might as well go whole hog and buy my C6 auto that bolts to the small block. You might break the frame before the drivetrain! LOL
  7. J

engine rebuild on 97 xlt

www.jasperengines.com
  8. J

help asap poorly 4x4

That blows 3 of the 4 ideas out of the water. Let us know if disconnecting the wire to the starter while the engine is running helps.
  9. J

Tire recommendations

I just checked the rack and the Hydroedge isn't available in that size. My friend has had good fortune with the Yoko's and I noticed they are rated about the same as the two you mentioned but cost 1/3 less, maybe worth looking into. Personally on my personal X I run 20" tires and the difference...
  10. J

Tire recommendations

If the worst weather you usually get in SF is rain I would go with the Michelin Hydroedge or the one you mentioned. Goodyear has tried to copy this tire but unless their quality has changed recently I have had better value from the Michelins than the Goodyears. Sounds like you only want to...
  11. J

Engine Damage Need Help!!!!!!!!!!

So you think the oil pump broke? Do you have oil pressure?
  12. J

5 Speed Shifting Question

Wears the synchos faster. I got so good at it on a semi that you almost couldn't tell I was changing gears except for the sound of the turbo. Still caused me to fail a CDL re-test and that is when I stopped that foolishness.
  13. J

Another idea. It maybe the starter hanging on. After you start it disconnect the power wire to the starter to see if it stops the noise.
  14. J

OK, if it started then it is not broken but it could have allowed the gears to jump a few teeth and what you maybe hearing is the valves slightly touching the pistons. Would you say the frequency of the sound matchs the RPM's of the engine or one-half the speed of the engine?
  15. J

what tire do you think is best

I like that tire myself.
  16. J

help asap poorly 4x4

Pull the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and see if gas leaks out of it indicating a ruptured diaphram and the need for replacement.
  17. J

Timing chain may have broken. With someone starting the engine look in the valve cover to see if the cam is turning.
  18. J

help asap poorly 4x4

Maybe reduced fuel flow from clogged fuel filter or malfunctioning fuel pump.
  19. J

I think it's totalled

Sounds like that will do it. Buy it back for the salvage price and strip it for off-roading? That Missouri mud will not know what hit it.
  20. J

hey guys I'm back!

Exploder-less family? What's the world coming to? At the shop I was teased about becoming a two exploder family so bad I got rid of one of them. God bless you.
  21. J

Intake & Exhaust Inquiries

I would use a dry drop-in filter. The X likes to accumulate water around the RF, just ask ExplorerDMB. If you remove the first-stage cats you risk "showing" the post O2 sensor a rich condition. May have to search for a shop to remove your second-stage cats since they could be fined 10K large for...
  22. J

sulfer smell engine running rough

Antifreeze going through the combustion chamber ruins your O2 sensors and cats.. Sorry.
  23. J

What about snow?

Bridgestone Blizzack or similiar dedicated snow tire at all four corners is considered the state-of-the-art right now for snow traction. If you try to run them all year long they will not last long at all.
  24. J

2.25" VS. 2.5"...That big of a diff?

Use the 2 1/4" since having too little back-pressure has detrimental effects.
Back