Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

2WD transmission into 4WD explorer sport

Can a 2WD transmission be easily put in a 4WD explorer sport? The transmission on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4X4 died. I found a guy that has a 2001 Explorer Sport 2WD with a good transmission. Is it an easy swap? What other parts would I need off of the 2WD Explorer Sport?
  2. 9

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

I got a little concerned. The mechanic told me I should try and find a working salvage transmission or purchase a rebuilt one because he said it was not cost effective for him to continue trying to fix the one that came out of the Explorer. I think I am just going to forget the whole thing and...
  3. 9

Tranny filter change on 2001 Explorer Sport, V-6, automaitc 4x4

I took the pan of my 2001 Explorer sport not too long ago. Was not difficult at all. I didnt take the heat shield off. I just pushed it to the side and took all of the pan bolts out. Only issue is that there is no drain plug so prepare for a fluid bath if you are not careful.
  4. 9

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4X4 I replaced the valve body with a kit from Donnie. No change. Took it to the local transmission expert. He rebuilt the transmission, new bands and torque converter along with a bunch of other new parts. After putting the transmission back in the vehicle it...
  5. 9

Do they make a transmission pan with plug?

Still looking for one. If anyone knows where they sale one that isn't an arm and a leg let me know.
  6. 9

Do they make a transmission pan with plug?

Does anyone know if they make a transmission pan with a plug for a 2001 Explorer Sport. I know you can add it yourself but I am looking to purchase one ready to bolt on. Anyone know where I can get one?
  7. 9

Ok spent all weekend working on this project. Just got finished. Started the explorer and it would not go into gear at all. It went into gear and was drivable before trying to install the valve body. I purchased the rebuilt unit from Central Valve Body so I am pretty sure the valve body is in...
  8. 9

Need copy of TSB #00M12 Camshaft Chain Tensioner

Can anyone get me a copy of the Ford Technical Service Bulletin #00M12 regarding the Camshaft Chain Tensioner?
  9. 9

01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps

Just got through replacing the drivers side rear one based on the directions provided by skrylla. Those directions were great! I used a bottle jack instead of the factory jack because it was easier to crank up and down, but other than that everything else was the same as in the directions...
  10. 9

01 expl-sport loud knocking in rear over bumps

What is funny to me is that if you are going to replace these bushings you have to replace them with the same exact crap. You would think Ford would have gone with a different material but nope. If you order one you get the same exact crap that is on your vehicle now that disintegrated in...
  11. 9

What is this hose?

So I guess it is supposed to be just sitting there not connected to anything. It seemed a bit odd so I wanted to make sure that it wasn't supposed to be connected to anything.
  12. 9

What is this hose?

I was underneath the explorer putting on some new shocks this weekend when I noticed this hose coming off the left side of the rear axle. It was capped off and I could not figure out what purpose it served. Can someone enlighten me? It is marked in red in the photo.
  13. 9

How to: Install Your Own Shocks

Changed my rear shocks. Just got through installing my rear shocks. Was a bit of a PITA to complete but not overly complicated...just a bit time consuming. Definitely recommend everyone try to do this one yourself instead of paying someone to do it. I chose Monroe Sensa-Trac load adjusting...
  14. 9

Any pictures of an explorer with black wheels?

ok. I finally got tired of looking at everyone else's black wheels so I did it myself. Not bad. This was just a quick paint job. Once I decide if I like it or not I probably will get them powder coated and new tires.
  15. 9

Will 265/65/17 tires fit???

I guess whether they "fit" or not is a relative question. I ran some numbers and my stock 255/70/16 equates to a diameter of 30.1 and the 265/65/17 would have a diameter of 30.6 so they should "fit". The speedometer will be 1 MPH off according to the calculations.
  16. 9

Unless I am blind or can not read English that chart does not list anything but 15" wheels. Am I missing something???
  17. 9

suspension on an 01 sport

I am looking at shocks and was considering the Monroe Load Leveler also. I have a 2001 Explorer Sport 4X4. What part number did you order? The chart that I was looking at did not list a part number for a 2001 Explorer Sport, only for a 2002-3 Sport. The part number they listed for the...
  18. 9

I have a friend that has some brand new 265 65 17 tires that he says he will give me. Since I was wanting new wheels for the explorer anyway..... I thought I might just buy some 17" wheels and take his tires (since they are FREE). :D Does anyone know if they will fit a 2001 Explorer Sport 4X4...
  19. 9

Where are all of my grease fittings???

I went under my 2001 Explorer Sport 4X4 today to lube the grease fittings and could not find any. The Haynes manual says to lube the tie rod ends and the pittman arm. I didn't see any grease fittings anywhere. Anyone got any idea where I should have grease fittings?
  20. 9

Anyone have the Dick Cepek DC-1 black wheels?

Does anyone have pictures of the Dick Cepek DC-1 black and silver wheels on their Explorer?
  21. 9

anyone else???? keep the pics coming!!!
  22. 9

I am looking for pictures of a 2nd generation explorer (preferably a Sport edition) in white with black wheels. I am considering black wheels for my 2001 explorer sport and wanted to see how they looked with a white vehicle.
  23. 9

American Racing Fuel (Black Teflon) Anyone???

Ok.....does anyone have pictures of other black wheels on an Explorer?
  24. 9

American Racing Fuel (Black Teflon) Anyone???

Does anyone have the American Racing Fuel (Black Teflon) wheels on their Explorer? My son has picked these wheels out for his 2001 Explorer Sport. I am not a fan of all black wheels and I just wanted to see how they looked on an Explorer. If anyone has them or knows of any pics of these...
  25. 9

Just purchased Explorer...brake lights do not work!!!

I have brake lights!!!!! I decided to throw a few more things at it and I think I found the problem. I read about a few others having problems with the multifunction switch so I decided to jiggle around with it and the steering wheel. Evidently something is shorting out in the steering...
Back