Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

have code P1121

I have a 96 explorer 5.0 and it is giving me this code. The last two mornings going to work it acts like a converter plugging up on the hills but both times it comes back home fine. Today is the first I have ever seen this code. Would a plugged cat give me this code or do I need to start with...
  2. C

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

I am curious why a 1356 tcase isn't used? I ask because I have a 90 bronco sitting here rusting away with an electric shift case. My 96 has a double cardon ujoint on the front of the transfer case instead of a cv joint.. can I reuse my factory driveshaft on the 4406? Is there a slipjoint...
  3. C

Helpful suggestions? 93 autotran questionable

Wish I had more time to read around on here, love to see all the things everyone else has learned. So the 94 is the best? I didn't realize they had made changes. The computer won't give me any troubles will it? I would still like to get the other one working right regardless because would...
  4. C

Helpful suggestions? 93 autotran questionable

Sorry for posting a question that is probably answered here but I dont have a net connection at my home and its getting late. I just purchased a 93 exp to replace the 94 I had that now has a locked up engine. The 93 that I haven't got to bring home yet supposidly needs a tranny. It did move...
  5. C

'91 shudders then dies - any thoughts?

Any idea for sure what the problem (and fix) would be? My 94 explorer just started doing the same thing today. Feels like the torque converter is trying not to dissengage. Check engine light has been coming on more frequently lately as well, not sure if thats related though.. ???
  6. C

How to: Make Oil pressure gauge perform like "real" gauge

Thanks :) I always wondered what the oil light was for there, never seen it come on yet.. (fortunatly..) I do have an actual pressure sensor.. I got a new one from advance yesterday but haven't had a chance to install it to see if its more accutrate. I got a little impatient on my last...
  7. C

95 EX 4x4 with Codes 172, 173, 176, 177, 543

Did you find the problem yet? I went on a trip yesterday and was expeirencing similar problems. I checked my codes, 172, 173 and 176.. I also noticed that the vacuum line was off of my fuel pressure regulator.. I'm hoping this was my culprit??
  8. C

Black Ox Solid Axle Swap 1991

I already have a 76 eb.. Not sure if the 9 is big bearing or little bearing but I figure its stronger than the 8.8 either way? I was thinking of keeping the 8.8 and swapping in rear antilock from an earlier explorer though.. probably not worth the time on that one though. As for the front...
  9. C

Ok.. I was afraid it wouldn't be that easy.. Will the mounting points of an eb axle and the cut down fullsize be the same if I decided to go with the eb for now and wanted high pinion later? Also, would you suggest goin to a 9in rear end or sticking with the 8.8 and changing the lug pattern?
  10. C

How hard would it be to convert a 76eb axle to high pinion? I assume just have to get ahold of a 78-79 front end and have them switched or what? Would it be worth the hastle?
  11. C

I'm sure it can be done... when the gauge drops to so many ohms it turns on the light.. but I don't know enough about resistors and stuff to figure it out off hand.. have to do some research I guess.. anyway.. to update my last post, once my oil warms up my gauge actually moves now...
  12. C

Need for the Correct Speed

I think this might be what most of you are looking for.. Hope this helps.. Superlift Truspeed http://www.superlift.com/products/misc/truspeed.asp
  13. C

Ok, I got impatient so I stole the sending unit off of my 84f150 w/300I6.. (I'll replace it with a pressure one again later) My gauge in the X now reads lower but I can not see any noticable difference if I rev the engine. I have not tried driving it yet but does this sound right since I...
  14. C

Did My 94 come with a 130 amp alternator?

haven't tried the cables yet.. It did it right before the alt. went bad and still did it afterward too.. It's never seemed to cause any problems other than being annoying at least.
  15. C

Door Panels

It has grey int. I thought about that but the front panels seem to be ok and it has tinted windows in the rear.. I wouldn't think the rear lower panels would be affected much by the sun? I've only owned the ex for about a year now.. Its been like that since I got it but I think its...
  16. C

ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments

I think the 700r4 would be the best choice because of its low first gear.. From what I've seen it doesn't really matter if its a 700, a4ld or aod.. Its probably going to need rebuilt.. But which can be rebuilt the strongest to last the longest? I also don't know the exact 1st gear ratios for...
  17. C

Did My 94 come with a 130 amp alternator?

dim lights Does anyone know why the lights on a 91 would be constantly dimming? (all lights, int, etc) The bat gauge while running always moves slightly up and down and all the lights slightly dim and go bright all the time..??? The alternator was replaced at one time and it did this before...
  18. C

Door Panels

My rear door panels and my front leather seats both seem to be turning green.. I have no idea why..?? Any ideas? Any idea how to get rid of it?
  19. C

Need more HP

What rear end ratio's are in your explorer? My aunt's 91 with 3.55's had a LOT more power and acceleration than what my 94 (with less than half the miles) does with its... 3.11's I think it is.. 3.08's maybe.. something like that..
  20. C

D44 conversion with a '66-'77 Bronco?

Has anyone done this swap yet? I have a 76 bronco waiting to donate its axles and tcase to my x.. :) I want to be absolutly positive what I'm doing and goin to run into though before I start tearing things apart (or spend more money on parts I don't need).
  21. C

ford 4.0 trans failure? AA wants comments

I would like to see a 700r4 possibly along with a dana 20 tcase maybe? (ok.. so I have both laying around) :) I haven't had any problems with the 700 in my 92 gmc jimmy with 162k on it.. (and the low first gear would be a plus.. the np uhm.. 232 I think it was isn't bad either imo)...
  22. C

Blackjack pic

Nice truck.. (Looks right at home in the photo location to) :)
  23. C

Mud Lite lift completed

Looks good.. What kind of tail fin is that? Let me know when ya get those flairs put on.. and how much of the tires they cover.. (trying to decide what size of tires to go with, wv law.. tires cant' stick out of the flairs)
  24. C

Fake hood scoop?

Yeah, I want to see them too... (and I just wanted the lil email to update me on posts) :)
  25. C

B&M Shift Improver Kit

Ok, thanks.. I usually only use od in mine because the biggest part of my drive to work is interstate.. I have to drop to drive to go up the one mountain though.. I had thought about switching to a 302 and aod.. is that tranny any better? I can't really afford to drive this thing without od...
Back