Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

cutting rivets method (rad arm bushing)

You need an Acetylene Torch Set to heat them up.
  2. R

need new brake lines

Most Ford Brake Lines are 3/16. You will need Unions after you cut the rusted lines. The Brake Lines use a Double-Flare for proper sealing. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316121
  3. R

electric fan problems

I agree with JD, 20-Amps is too small for the Fan. Try putting two 30-Amp Fuses in Parallel. This will help with the In-rush Current, when the Fan first starts, which is usually 5-times normal running current.
  4. R

97 4.0 OHV No-Start. Tried everything. Any advice????

The Capacitor is used to Filter Noise from the Coil Pack. It prevents feedback into the Radio. Leave it unplugged.
  5. R

Great Place for Help and Info

Welcome to the Site. Good Luck with the Ex. I wouldn't part with either of mine.
  6. R

junkyard find :) tire swingout!

I would have drove down to Atlanta for that find. Congrats
  7. R

99 XP Runs rough after plug wire change

You may have grounded the Coil Secondary Voltage Output for too long and damaged the Coil.
  8. R

Explorer down, and out... HELP!

Diode Check Reply I would leave the Noise Suppressor unhooked from the Circuit. It is only a Filter Capacitor and probably not the source of the issue. The PCM Diode can be checked with an Analog Volt-Ohm (Needle-Type) on the Diode Test Range. You could also check it with a good quality Digital...
  9. R

Explorer down, and out... HELP!

Short Detector Insert a Short Detector in place on Fuse 19, then get a Electrical Schematic for the Loads on this Fuse and verify each circuit individually. If you can't find a Short Detector fabricate one using Seal-Beam Headlamp, attach some lead wires to it with some blade terminals and...
  10. R

97 mountaineer plug blowout

PB Blaster is your friend. Two or Three Applications a day for a few days should be enough with a Good Quality Snap-On or Craftsmans Spark Plug Socket. Good Luck
  11. R

alternator caught on fire !

I have seen this happen on Nissans in the Past. The issue is usually caused by a Loss of Torque on the B+ Cable (Main 12VDC Power Lead) Attachment Nut. It starts as Minor Arcing at the Alternator Stud and as the loss of torque increases over time, the Arcing Increases until Alternator Function...
  12. R

1993 Ford Explorer. The starter won't turn over, and it just clicks.

Remove the Starter and Bench Test it with Jumper Cables and a Battery. You must use a Jumper Wire to Jump the Starter Solenoid to Positive Battery Terminal. Good Luck
  13. R

Shift linkage won't stay connected! HELP!

Mine did the same thing about two years ago. You will need to order the complete Shift Cable Assembly from Ford. Check your Ball for excessive rust. Put a little Lithium Grease on the Ball prior to attaching the new cable.
  14. R

Temp gauge going crazy

Also check your Plastic Fan for Cracking too.
  15. R

96 Ex Power Window Bushing Fix with Pics!

I think you reversed the Brush Positon at the Commutator. DC Motors are designed to work in both directions. I think reversing the wire position that was previously mentioned is a better then taking everything apart to reverse the brushes.
  16. R

Rearended

Reply It don't take much to total a 2nd Gen. My Mountaineer was stolen last year and later recovered with a dented fender, quarter panel dent, scratched body side mouldings, lost PATS Key and they totaled it. I bought it back from the Insurance Company and have got it about 85%. Best of Luck to...
  17. R

1997 UK explorer power drain problem?

Reply It sounds like you have Excessive Current Draw on the Battery when the Vehicle is turned off. To confirm this, take off the Negative Battery Cable when you turn off the vehicle overnight. Reattach the Cable in the morning and see if the vehicle will start. If the Battery Drain is...
  18. R

how to test a relay ?

Reply At first you need to check the resistance through the Relay Coil. The Relay Coil Terminals should be marked on the Cover. The resistance should be less than 10 ohms. High Resistance (> 1 Meg-Ohm) means the Relay Coil is Open. Most Automotive Relays are either SPST (Single-Pole/Single...
  19. R

92 Navajo brake line flares and fittings?

Reply http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316121 This link might help you. I don't know the exact Metric Brake Line Nut Size for the Rear Wheel Cylinders. You need a good Double-Flaring Tool and Tubing Cutter.
  20. R

Help with passing emissions in TN

Glad you finally got through the Test. You have alot of miles on that engine. I am at 158k, only one cracked head and a A4LD Rebuild.
  21. R

Parking/Running lights short?

Short Detector Make a Short Detector from a old Seal-Beam Headlamp or a 1157 Dual Filament Bulb/Socket (Tie-each filament in parallel). Solder or crimp some male terminals on the two wires from the lamp and insert them in place of the fuse. If the Short is Present, the Lamp will be on "Full...
  22. R

Rear Frame Brake Line Replacement

Sorry, I didn't include any pictures on the previous post on dropping the tank. It has been about two months ago and I think their is two additional bolts that hold the fuel tank shield (Rear Axle Side of the Tank). The straps are under the shield. I would take the small cover off just to get...
  23. R

FRont coil spring/shock support rusted through

I think he is talking about the Coil Spring Bucket. My Driver's Side is in bad condition but has failed yet. I plan on changing mine in the Autumn Season. I got two good replacements from another member on the site.
  24. R

Help with passing emissions in TN

I agree go the Antioch Inspection Station. They are not picky like other stations I have been. Hopefully you will pass the Sniff Test. Do the Alcohol thing just prior to the test.
  25. R

no sound out of speakers

Best way is to use an Oscilloscope to verify the Pre-Amp Outputs for the Head Unit (Radio) at the Amp Inputs. If there is a waveform present on the inputs to the Amp when the Radio is on with a CD, the problem is local to the Amp. If no waveform is present the issue is the Head Unit.
Back