Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

Installing 99+ premium (CD player) into 98 or older

Just in case anyone was curious, my speedometer didn't work over 75 because of the radio. It would drop to zero. The speed-volume control never worked right anyway, it's designed for a different kind of VSS (the 97s and older use a dedicated VSS, the 98+ trucks get it from the ABS rear axle sensor).
  2. V

Speedometer drops to 0 at 85mph.

Just in case anyone was curious, it was because of the radio. The speed-volume control never worked right anyway. It's designed for a different kind of VSS.
  3. V

Speedometer drops to 0 at 85mph.

hey all- Odd problem. When I am accelerating past 70, the speedometer will rise normally until about 75, at which case it will start twitching and go down. It dosen't drop to 0, it gradually slows down, so that by 78ish, it shows 60, at 80 it shows 40, and by about 85 it's at zero. I *think*...
  4. V

Factory Radio Self Test

Well, I know, but what kind of DTCs can the radio give? :P
  5. V

message Center question... not your typical question...

You need to run a few wires. It's not too difficult. One wire to the ECU, 3 to the cluster (fuel, temp, and tach gauges), ground, constant and switched power are all you need to get basic function. You could also go the extra mile and get the oil level/temp sensor and washer fluid sensor like I...
  6. V

message Center question... not your typical question...

I installed a Message Center in my '97 Sport. It works all fine and dandy. But, I had a question about the display. There is a separate, 8-segment display above the regular 3-line dot matrix, set up to look like a clock. I've never seen this display come to life, except for the brief moment...
  7. V

Message Center - Need Help!!!!!!

Obviously, the VSS is hooked up correctly (it knows how fast you're going for the trip odometer). If DTE works, then that means it knows the fuel level as well. Did you hook it up to the right pin on the ECU? Pin 43, blue/pink wire. That's the fuel flow wire. EDIT: I just realized I answered a...
  8. V

Message Center - Attention sticker on back

It can't be modified. That number is probably so Ford can tell you which part numbers work, or how badly raped you're going to get when replacing it through them. You want a '98+ message center. You can probably sell the one you have for a decent amount to cover the cost of another one on eBay...
  9. V

Looks like we can use my 95' for a crash test dummy!

If it's something simple like replacing a bumper or the hatch, I'd definitely do it myself, with junkyard parts. Much cheaper then paying someone else to do it with new parts, and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself :thumbsup: :D Even the quarter panel, you could try and do as much...
  10. V

Factory Radio Self Test

It gives DTCs?
  11. V

Running Rich. Oxygen sensor, or more?

All 4 sensors are identical? I'm going to replace both upwind ones, because I can not get to the connectors to test. But they cost anywhere from $50-$75 at Autozone.
  12. V

Running Rich. Oxygen sensor, or more?

Ok. Here's where I'm at. The truck ('97 Sport SOHC) was throwing a "cat failure" pending code when I bought it a year ago (light not on yet, but we cleared it and forgot about it). Months later, it threw a light for an oxygen sensor (forgot which one, but I bet it's the same as the one below)...
  13. V

It's not a theory, it's been proven because his has P100s and it's a '98. And the official Ford diagrams show both kinds of premium systems in '98 (it shows three, actually: one just labeled "Premium" with T100s, one labeled "Premium w/o High Series Console", with P100s, and a third labeled...
  14. V

Well, by looking at the Ford wiring diagrams (got off of FordCDs.com), it looks like the '98 base radio uses the T100, as well as some premiums (and the JBL, but it uses a whole remote control unit and is completely different). But, so e premiums in '98 did come with an external amp :( Must be...
  15. V

No problem... I'm used to it. I love helping when I can :) Todd, perhaps you'd know: is the VSS the same signal as the ABS signal? because this radio has the volume adjustment, and I want to make sure it's the same... Also, any idea why this radio would need power from the starter? It has...
  16. V

Oh, sorry. it's quite simple actually. Ford used the same color wires at the speakers (after the amp) in the amped radios as they used right at the radio in non-amp versions. Basically, all you have to do is look at the color codes for a '98 radio, and match those with the wire colors from a...
  17. V

For the message center? There is a thread here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80670 And the auto climate: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/14 that is for going into a Ranger, I'll see what needs to be changed to adapt it to an Explorer, but it should be...
  18. V

I really like this radio. I might keep it for my VW! :D The Explorer is always for sale, but I'm liking it more and more. I plan to add auto climate and the trip computer next. i've been reading up and it seems pretty easy (for me, anyway ;) ). Now, if I wanted to convert to all green lights...
  19. V

Just wanted to say: Thanks Todd! I got the amp out of there, and spliced the wires together (not the ideal way to do it, but it works). Sounds great! I think you said that the '98 HU put out 145w combined, speakers and sub included. What does the OEM 97 amp put out? Thanks!
  20. V

Factory Radio Self Test

Hmm, it didn't work on my new radio ('98 single CD w/selective lighting). I can't turn off the rear controls either. EDIT: on the original 97 HU, it only takes a quick push of the buttons. On this one, you have to hold them for a few seconds :D
  21. V

Ok... I'm confused. Mine looks like this. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Explorer-CD-Radio-RDS-Mach_W0QQitemZ170102632933QQihZ007QQcategoryZ38640QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem It says "Premium" on the bottom, but dosen't look like theis...
  22. V

Something bothers me about that. I got this out of a basic truck, with 4 speakers, no amp, no CD changer, not even rear controls. yet, it says "premium" on the bottom. Did only the JBL systems come with an amp in '98? My '97 Premium has an amp (obviously). Looking at all the different diagrams...
  23. V

I didn't need to :) I used a tiny screwdriver to switch pins between connectors (between the small black connectors), and used an adapter on the big gray one. But if you are not familiar with his sort of technique, I recommend using an aftermarket radio adapter harness on both connectors in...
  24. V

Well, the problem witht aht is... the rear speakers are wired directly to the rear control panel (at least one side). I can help you figure ut which wires you need to tap into to run to the radio though :)
  25. V

Ok... just spent some time with diagram programs as downloaded off FordCDs.com... here's what I found. EDIT: see attachment for an easier explanation. With this data, it should be easy to convert from one to the other ;) Note that the speaker colors are the only real differences. Also...
Back