Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Where are the Mustang guys?

Sadly, no. My bank is stupid. I bought my '03 GT from a dealership and financed it through the bank. Because the '04 Mach is being sold by a private party, they won't loan on it. I checked multiple other banks and they all gave me the same story. I inquired about a personal loan, but it carried...
  2. X

Ok, after a few short months, I've sold the 'Stang. In fact, I sold it last Sunday and just haven't gotten around to posting about it. I'll be taking a drive this Saturday to pick up an '04 Mach 1... as long as it isn't a total POS when I get there. JD, I've already joined Mach1Registry.org...
  3. X

How to: Install Your Own Shocks

Having extra weight won't help in this situation. Honestly, you're probably fine the way you are. I just like to see that mine are compressed for sure. There's probably no need to risk damaging the shock.
  4. X

I would probably try to snug them down a little more. Maybe 1.5-2 turns. As for the nose dive, replacing your worn out front shocks always helps the front suspension rebound much quicker. You won't feel like your Explorer is about to flip end-over-end in a hard braking situation now. At...
  5. X

Oh, someone should have warned you of the blood sacrifice required when you do any repairs at home, haha. I'm glad you got it fixed. Keep in mind that the torque values I gave you aren't really that much. They're not going to require a significant amount of leverage to achieve. The bushings...
  6. X

According to RockAuto, those are the correct shocks for your Explorer. Take a second jack and place it under the lower control arm. Don't raise it so much that it compresses the shock and takes the bulk of the weight of the vehicle. Just raise it enough so that you can snugg the upper nut.
  7. X

No problem! I don't frequent EF as much as I used to. I've owned 4 Explorers in the past, but I'm currently Explorerless and have been since February.
  8. X

Just for the heck of it, I looked up the specs for the rear shocks too. The specs are as follows: Shock-to-Frame Nut: 17 ft. lbs. Shock Lower Bolt: 45 ft. lbs.
  9. X

According to the Mitchell1 repair guide, the upper nut should be 30-41 ft lbs. The lowers should be 15-21 ft. lbs. These readings should be achieved after the vehicle is lowered from the jack.
  10. X

If you're in a dry climate away from salt water, it probably won't be too bad if you soak them overnight. I live in an environment where they dump salt by the tons all winter. I've soaked mine on all of the Explorers I've owned, and I've still managed to break the top stud on almost all of the...
  11. X

Depending on the type of jack you have, you'll have some options. If you use a scissor jack, PLEASE make sure you place some blocks under the vehicle. Scissor jacks are fine for a quick tire change beside the road, but any time you are partially under the vehicle, a floorjack is preferred. With...
  12. X

Help identify this fluid inside my rear brake shroud

I've done the parking brake shoes with the axles in. Of course, the entire differential was on jack stands, but it was still difficult. Needlenose pliers and a flathead screwdriver...
  13. X

Help identify this fluid inside my rear brake shroud

It could be gear oil from a leaky axle seal. Did you smell it? Gear oil has a very distinctive smell. It is almost fish-like.
  14. X

Rear Wiper Arm problem

This is a common problem that plagues Explorers. Sometimes, the solution is as simple as rebending the arm. I've owned four 2nd gen Explorers that have all had this problem and it didn't hit me until I got rid of the last one that I should have just taken a small 12"-14" piece of...
  15. X

Be careful: "premium" and "Mach" head-units look identical

This is great news, Si! It's nice to see the good guy finish first for once.
  16. X

I would love to have an '86 notch. I absolutely love the bug eyes and notches are the best Foxes, imo. Here's another shot of the '03 after it received the full detail treatment. I stripped the old wax, claybarred, polished, and waxed it. I also installed a Mach 1 chin spoiler, grille delete...
  17. X

The '03 Stang's First Wash

Thanks man. It takes some good old fashioned elbow grease to get black looking like that, lol.
  18. X

I knew when I made the initial purchase that I was committing to a 2nd full-time job in maintaining the black exterior. With that in mind, I decided to buy a DA to make life a little easier. With my newly acquired Meguiar's G110v2 in hand, I decided to perform some light swirl correction over...
  19. X

Don't be fooled by the shine. It is definitely in need of some correction. I think the wax in the wash concentrate is just making it pop a little. The whole car is covered with swirls from years of improper washing technique. I've been bouncing back and forth between Meguiar's and Poorboy's...
  20. X

I only used half for the car. I was thirsty!
  21. X

Ok, the title is a little misleading. I'm sure it's been washed many times, but I just bought it a at the beginning of the month and this is the first chance I've had to wash it. As the pictures below illustrate, it is currently in, what I like to call, "10 ft" condition. This, of course, means...
  22. X

The $200 Detailing Challenge

Dirt, where are you?!?!
  23. X

The $200 Detailing Challenge

I just bought a black 2003 Mustang that I plan to use as a daily driver. As one might expect, the previous owner had absolutely no idea how to properly care for black paint. As soon as the weather breaks and it warms up outside, I'm going to task myself with correcting the paint. I've used a lot...
  24. X

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

I might have to send you some Stang parts so you can put that matte black to use again.
  25. X

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

Ah man, that black is as nice as it gets. That is killer!
Back