Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

General consensus on tires

Ha. Actually Corkey i wasn't recommending them, just letting everyone know that i had bought a set and would report back on them. Yes, i agree there are a lot of Canucks on this forum. So far the tires are very quiet, the ride has improved 100%, on ice they are decent but not enough snow...
  2. N

Well, today i installed a set of four Canadian Tire Motomaster Total Terrain A/P tires and the ride is just great. I read the reviews and was certainly impressed. The noise from the old tires is gone and the truck now hits the bumps much softer. The tires were well within my budget @ $119...
  3. N

Tire choices That's a great site Boner...thanks...
  4. N

I'm looking to replace the worn out tires on my 02 E/B. I do virtually no off roading however with the winters up here in Canada traction is certainly a requirement. Looking to find a tire that is a good all season tire, not noisy on the highway and not a deep lug agressive tread. What are...
  5. N

Out of the blue, battery dead

What i would do first is to fully charge the battery and then do a load test on it to confirm the state of the battery. I've seen fairly new batteries go kaput with a dead cell in it. If the battery checks out ok and the terminals are corrosion free then maybe a drain test is in order...
  6. N

2002 E/B 4wd not working

Thanks for the response Rondo.....unlike yours, the lights aren't flashing on the dash. As soon as I press the 4x4 high and 4x4 buttons on the switch, the lights come on solid on the dash. They don't flash. Prior to me upgrading / replacing the module behind the glovebox, they did flash ...
  7. N

2002 E/B 4wd not working

I have an 02 EB with a non working 4 wd system. A year or so back i replaced the module behind the glove box with the updated one. My problem is: Key on ..both 4x4 high/ 4x4 low lights prove on. Press 4 high, light comes on the dash and i can hear click at module. Same with 4 low...
  8. N

Noise diagnosis - wheel bearing???

I just replaced the left front on my 02 E/B and i ordered in an SKF. When i removed it from the box the bearing was clearly marked Timken. Fit like a glove. ....John
  9. N

2002 Explorer Temp gauge/ECT problems

Disregard...i fixed it....
  10. N

2002 Explorer Temp gauge/ECT problems

Driving up the highway today. Dash beeped and msg stated "check temp gauge". Gauge was pegged at cold. Then shot up to normal and msg went out. A few minutes later ...same thing. Not a slow 'creeping' movement of the gauge...an instant drop to cold and then an identical instant shot to...
  11. N

Rattling upon acceleration

Rattling blovell...that's what i was thinking. I've had many a torque convertor apart and there's nothing inside it that would duplicate this type of noise. It's annoying for sure. With the mileage on it i'm going to open it up and have a peek and repair. ......John
  12. N

Rattling upon acceleration

Hello. I have an 02 EB with the 4.0sohc and 122K miles on it. Lately i've noticed that upon accelerating briskly from a dead stop or while merging onto a highway i can hear a rattling sound coming from the engine. Not pinging or detonation but a definite rattling....i'm thinking the chain...
  13. N

Hard to get key into ignition.

Key problem Yep..mine is doing the same. Sometimes the key slides right in but most times you have to just jab it in and hope for the best...time for me to change it out too. John
  14. N

What's your gas Mileage?

Explorer mileage Since I purchased my 02 e/b with the 4.0 sohc it has consistently given me 22-24 mpg with it dropping about 3-4 mpg as of late coupled with a stalling issue when placed in gear.(previously posted separately). I also get a spike in idle to @ 1200-1400rpm as the truck lurches...
  15. N

Error code PO401

DPFE sensor Hello. Replacing the dpfe sensor is a piece of cake. It's located on the passenger side of the vehicle. Has a harness plugged into it and has two hoses coming from it. It attaches to two stainless tubes that run vertically downward to a larger pipe that runs from the exhaust...
  16. N

2002 Won't start...

Warranty issues No where in your warranty does it say that a 'dealer' has to perform your oil changes,no where. I agree with the previous posts, have a second examination of the vehicle conducted. Certain sounds like scare tactics to me. It's a service manager just trying to lessen his...
  17. N

whistle sound

Whistle I just had mine apart and examined the gasket and it looks fine. It's a tough rubber seal that fits into a groove. I was unable to order it from my parts guy. Might be a dealer only part.. If anyone locates it aftermarket plse post the part number. Mine appeared to be fine, so I cleaned...
  18. N

2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question

front bearing thanks.............
  19. N

hubs I'm assuming that when you say the front one swapped out you're referring to the entire hub assembly..correct? Not just the bearing. ........John
  20. N

whistle sound

Hi pitch whistle Up here in Canada it's fairly cold right now and my 02X does this while driving under light throttle or cruise. Go a tad faster and it disappears. I spoke with a friend at a Ford dealership and he advises that they receive lots of complaints about the hi pitched whistle and...
  21. N

Bearing issue Hello Roger...good talking to you over the phone. I just had a look at your F150..that's one clean truck! No rust?? Price is certainly in the ballpark for the shape it's in . Good luck in selling it....John
  22. N

02 Explorer slips when shifting into 3rd Gear

Shifting Rar...these transmissions had solenoid pack issues. Do a search on the forum for the solenoid pack. There's lots of reading on that topic. Is it slipping or does it seems like it is going into neutral instead of going into? ............John
  23. N

02 Explorer slips when shifting into 3rd Gear

Tranny issues Hello Rar and welcome to the forum. I have the same Xplorer as you. Just make sure that when you take it in or if you're doing it yourself, that the tranny gets flushed. Just taking off the pan will only get a portion of the fluid. Don't forget the cooler, lines and torque...
  24. N

Erratic idle/stalling when put in gear

erratic idle ummdh...I too noticed a 3-4 mpg drop . Initially I thought it was the severe cold we are having up here right now but then I recalled during last years cold winter months it got much better mileage. Yes, 4MYBOYZ...I certainly don't understand why this isn't a recall but then...
  25. N

Erratic idle/stalling when put in gear

stalling problem Truck is still stalling when put in gear. Spoke with the local ford dealership's top tech today and filled him in on the problem. He feels that it isn't the solenoid block because when it stalls I put it in neutral start it and it immediately dies. The tcc isn't applied at...
Back