Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Towing report: 06 V8 with 22’ travel trailer.

Does the manual say 40 sq ft absolute, or equivalent? i.e. A trailer with 80 sq ft frontal area, but 0.5 Cd, has an equivalent 40 sq ft drag area.
  2. R

Towing report: 06 V8 with 22’ travel trailer.

You'll need a heavy tongue with no WD to max out the rear, and since our chassis is design to tow 7000+ lbs, it's highly unlikely to max it out in a V6 truck. A quick trick to gain valuable rear axle payload is move as much weight off the truck and into the trailer. I've removed both my...
  3. R

Tried and Tried Engine Overheating

A little more detail would help? When is it overheating, heavy traffic at idle? A/C on or off? Hard mountain climbs at speed? Towing? Have you tested the thermostat to make sure it's opening all the way? If overheating at idle, carefully put your hand behind the rad fan, is the air furnace hot...
  4. R

4 x 4 comparison question

No I didn't read it wrong, just worded myself poorly... I had no doubt that you didn't get stuck, and was just wondering if you used the turning off RSC trick. I find that in mud, it kills the power too quickly unless I turn it off. I too have surprised many in the "lowly" Explorer! I've...
  5. R

4 x 4 comparison question

Did you try turning off the stability control (pressing the button once)? I believe that allow more power application under wheelspin, while still retaining the brake based traction control to route power to the opposite wheel. I'm going to try to remove both sway bars and see if the...
  6. R

Air Lift?

There's not way to fit such a product onto a 4th gen Explorer - it uses IRS. We would have to get a Land Rover style strut with and air bellow spring. Doubt it's worth the effort.
  7. R

2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer Overheating

If you're experiencing the same temp at the inlet and outlet rad hoses, then I would NOT bother with upgrading the pump. There's already an over-abundance of water flow, and shortage of convectional heat transfer by the rad core. Increasing the mass flow of water becomes useless. Upgrading...
  8. R

About engine oil

??? Unless your air filter is in really poor condition, there should be very little "dirt", aka silica accumulation in oil. This can be shown in an oil analysis. Larger factors are viscosity breakdown of the oil, and accumulation of metals due to engine wear (too fine for filter to filter...
  9. R

Radiator leak?

That would be nice, but highly doubt it based on the location (tank to core seam). Mine leaked at the exact same place, just put in a Spectra Premium yesterday. 3rd radiator since new! And I'm only running a 13 psi cap. BTW, you can build a cheap pressure tester from an old cap (highly...
  10. R

ranger explorer 4.0 alternator interchange?

Adding a 2nd battery doesn't necessarily stress the alt more, unless you purposely run down both batts before starting the truck. A battery or bank of batteries only absorb as much charging current from the alt as it takes to re-charge them (based on state of charge). But have you thought...
  11. R

Fan clutch engaged on cold startup on 4.6 V8?

But upon startup? Even with no coolant the metal block would take a minute or two to warm up. I wonder if it's the re-programmed ECU to help prevent leaking rads. That's one of Ford's TSBs to help combat the failing radiators, suppose to increase fan running cycle. Obviously it isn't...
  12. R

Rancho QL on V8 - Clarification

Hmm, that's actually very good news for me. I carry a heavy load in the rear (roof top tent, expedition gear, sometimes dirt bike) and was afraid the leveled out stance would sag too much. If you guys are experiencing more lift in the rear than front, then I'm getting it for sure!
  13. R

Any pics of front hitch?

Very interesting how they changed the front mount mid-model year in 2006: https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-2006_Ford_Explorer.htm I could've sworn all 4th gens are identical!
  14. R

4th Gen Lifts

Just thinking out loud here, if the loaded Rancho QL advertises 1.75/1.00" and the struts only QL advertises 1.5/1.25" lift, that seems to imply the OEM rear springs are a tad stiffer / taller. So if we replace the loaded QL's rear springs with the OEM ones, wouldn't we end up with 1.75/1.25"...
  15. R

Is ford crazy or what?

Seems pretty normal for us Canadians... Not uncommon to see $80k Suburbans, or $90k diesel trucks. But hunt around and there'll be a bargain. Was almost getting another SUV/crossover, but ended up with a Ram 1500 Sport that I couldn't refuse - Crew Cab, 395hp Hemi, 8 spd ZF, every option...
  16. R

Hum @ speed

Almost guaranteed wheel bearing. Mine turned out to be the driver's front bearing. First symptoms were just like yours, started around 100 km/h or so. Eventually it got to the point that it'll hum at 40 km/h. It sounded like I had mud tires by the end...
  17. R

class 3 trailer hitch

A cheap solution is to get smaller tires. May or may not be cheaper depending on the situation. I have a spare set for my Intrepid, with 26.6" diameter vs the Explorer's 29.5". Effectively turns my 3.55 into 3.94s. Looks weird, but if I really need to tow heavy and save my drive train, why...
  18. R

265/70/17 Tires

The computer does it for you, if conditions are right. Say at 65 mph, if your throttle is light enough (10%, rough guess), then it locks it and stays locked unless you punch it (then it unlocks first, and downshifts if needed). If your tires/gears are too tall, and you need say, 15% of...
  19. R

265/70/17 Tires

Your torque converter. When it's locked your RPMs are steady like a manual. When it's unlocked, it jumps all over the place, even within a gear. That's good for acceleration and throttle response, but had for heat and fuel economy. If your gear is too tall, then it'll stay unlocked longer...
  20. R

4th Gen Explorer Pictures

That looks awesome! I think the Quicklifts are perfect in terms of height and stance. A bit more clearance than stock, not not too much wear and tear on ball joints and CVs like the spacer lifts. The Explorer will never be a Rubicon, so no sense lifting it too high, especially if you don't...
  21. R

Front hitch spare tire.

Good to know we're speaking on the safe wavelength ;) I don't think counter-weighting the front end is going to help with "handling", only steering feel. And you're right, it may very well hurt handling from increased moment of inertia (about the Z axis). But don't think I'd be slaloming with...
  22. R

4th Gen Explorer Pictures

Another request for a side shot, Eric. I really want the Quicklifts fro the damping adjustment, but I want to know how much it lifts the front because I carry a heavy load at the back.
  23. R

Front hitch spare tire.

And I agree it won't change much - problem with being an engineer is I get caught up on theoretical gains. By my calculations, a 300 lbs concentrated load at 24" past the rear bumper roughly unloads the front axle by 157 lbs. If I hang a 80 lbs concentrated load (mass average of tire +...
  24. R

Front hitch spare tire.

Don't get me wrong, my truck is fine as well. In fact, I'm amazed at the sturdiness of the 4th gen frame and suspension, handles the bike 10x better than my old Xterra. I'm just picky about my handling I guess; don't want to compromise any steering feel, especially on long trips with lots of...
  25. R

265/70/17 Tires

To answer your question - what's your rpm at 65 mph when your mpg starts going downhill? More importantly, is your converter locked? If it is, with 3.55s, you must be around 1700 ish. If you re-gear, it would only hurt your level ground hwy mileage. If your converter is UNLOCKED, your rpm...
Back