Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Install Fog Lights into XLS Bumper

Nice! I have the same lights in a box in my garage as well as another style that are not flush mount. One set will go in my front bumper and the other set will go somewhere in the back either up high or in the rear bumper.
  2. A

Install Fog Lights into XLS Bumper

How did you mount the lights? Was there anything behind those punch outs? I have an 04 xls too and I need more light.
  3. A

Just picked up my 3rd explorer.

Wow CoolHand that's incredible. I painted the grill black to match the rest of the X today. I'll get pictures when its light out again. I also picked up a 52 inch led light bar from a local auction and I cant wait to install it.
  4. A

I'm not sure why I typed power steering. As a Ford service advisor I installed more of those damn fuse wires than I could count. As soon as i have the money I want to do a filter change. I know the trans was replaced about 30k or 40k or so under warranty , so the trans does not even have the...
  5. A

I figured out the smoking. I pulled the stock radio out and the back of it was burnt and smelled like smoke. I could not find and evidence of cooked wiring anywhere else so I installed an aftermarket head unit and have not had any problems since. Drew it has 138,000 miles on it
  6. A

3rd generation brown wire mod

my understanding was that the brown wire mod was for the 2nd gen because the v8 are all wheel drive where as our 3rd gen are automatic 4x4. So unless your tires are slipping you are in 2wd . That's just my thoughts
  7. A

It's good to be back! I'm curious if the explorer has the 05s28 recall on the power steering. I know when I worked at ford they were expanding the vehicles it covered. I know the radio didn't work so I pulled it but it was too dark out to throw a new fuse in and look for smoke. I'll check...
  8. A

I haven't been active here in years because when I moved from Alaska to Washington I had to sell my 2nd explorer. But today I finally got my 3rd explorer. It is a 3rd gen 2004 xls. So far the things I have found wrong with it are, slight rough shift between 1,2,3, air bag code 42, cruse control...
  9. A

Belt length. Opinion needed!

I think you may be better off getting an ac bypass pulley. That way you dont have to worry what belt you need in an emergency situation. I know that they have them at NAPA the part number should be # 6601830. Good Luck
  10. A

Operation: Smooth Idle

96 xlt ohv 210,051 miles same problem
  11. A

Rear Brake Advise?

well looks like it wasn't as easy as i thought. I decided to be cheep and fast and didn't take the rotors off but i must have jarred something because i am getting a loud "key jingling" noise from the pass rear wheel my tech buddy said its probably the e brake hardware was old and warn out and...
  12. A

Fog machine to smoke EVAP?

the smoke was a bit weak imo but i don't know what a professional one looks like. It seemed as though it had plenty of pressure the leak was for lack of a better discription the vent hose off the filler neck just cracked not really sure how. I used my led flashlight and when it hit the smoke it...
  13. A

Well finally got the time away from the family to try this project, the fog machine was very easy to modify. I used the evap port under the green cap I could not find a schrader fitting large enough so I removed the valve and used a pointy rubber fitting shoved in the hole.
  14. A

Rear Brake Advise?

I have never gotten a defective part like that right out of the box so for a min I was looking at it like ok... what did I do wrong then I jammed the clip back on the pad and looked at my welder and decided nah I will just return it for safety sake.
  15. A

Rear Brake Advise?

Went off without a hitch rotors looked great so it was just a quick pad slap... well it would have been had the pads i bought not been defective. On the first side I did, i put the pad in the caliper piston, then went to put the second pad on and the first fell off but the hardware was still in...
  16. A

Chrome Grill

any pics of how that looks?
  17. A

Rear Brake Advise?

I have a 96 XLT X ohv and im looking to change the rear pads and rotors. I have change front rotors before but this is my first rig with rear disc so I'm just checking before i break in to this is there any tips, tricks, or advice anyone could impart on me. Thanks:salute:
  18. A

Automatic transmission service question.

The lubeguard is a great idea. Just about every trans shop in Alaska has at least one case sitting in there parts room. Might I recommend you use the platinum Lubeguard. when I bought my 96 I got a great deal on it because the guy said the trans was going out I put the platnum in as well as some...
  19. A

Still waiting for the last part to complete my homemade smoker. I plan on hooking it to the little schrader valve with the green cap so I'm waiting for a connector. hopefully i can get this done tonight maybe tomorrow.
  20. A

Im not just trying to make smoke to make smoke so I'm not sure why how the seafoam would help in this instance. I love seafoam and use it often both in the gas tank as well as in the intake. I already changed the gas cap as well as the evap vent solenoid under the battery. I checked the filler...
  21. A

I have a 96 xlt ohv with a CEL code p0455 gross evap leak. I have looked at every inch of the vacuum system and i can not find anything i also changed the gas cap for good measure. My question is has anyone ever used a Halloween fog machine to smoke there evap to find a leak. Can anyone here see...
  22. A

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

The ones that i have had the best of luck with are AC Delco chassis parts they are made by spicer to the specs by ACDelco and they are much stronger and last longer than the motorcraft. my last set of moogs lasted bout 2 years and i don't off road with my explorer anymore moog is junk and its a...
  23. A

Light theft

most alarms have a feature if then installer knows about it where the aux lighting is tied in to the alarm so that when the thief cuts or disconnects the wires in anyway the alarm sounds.
Back