Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Cam position sensor

Good idea.
  2. D

Power Window Bushing Replacement

Thanks, TAC. I had to look at the photos many times to understand what those bushings do. I used to work on motorcycles and Kawasaki 900s have three balls that go into a part of the transmission as I recall, and you have to spin some parts just so with your fingers to get them to go in. This...
  3. D

Ignition Switch

Probably better than the way I did it. I think I just installed the switch gadget, but it's been a while. Kind of a nuisance to have to pull the steering wheel and all, I have to psych up for all that hooey. Many thanks for the idea though. Interesting that every once in a great while I...
  4. D

Fail test only smog

Did that work? Did that do it? Did the check engine light come on?
  5. D

Ignition Switch

I have a '94 4 dr 4wd with an ignition switch problem. I have replaced the part on the steering column and the key switch still does not work. I did a shade tree fix with a wire from the relay to a switch inside the cab; wondering if anyone else has had the same situation. There is some...
  6. D

Cam position sensor

If it is bad will it make the check engine light come on, but only sometimes?
  7. D

Power Window Bushing Replacement

Window problems The problem I have may be the one you addressed. The motor seems to work but the window doesn't move most of the time. Do the bushings you replaced hold gears in mesh?
  8. D

ignition switch problem

According to Ford there are two parts of the ignition; the cylinder where the key goes and the ignition switch, which I think has all the wiring to the starter. Does anyone know if I can replace the ignition switch without pulling the steering wheel?
  9. D

Ignition switch 93 ranger

Replacing the actual Ignition Switch -91~94 Ranger & Explorer This is a question more than a reply. It would appear that the actual ignition switch can be replaced by simply; 1. Pull steering wheel. 2. Remove the upper and lower plastic covers to expose parts. 3. Carefully mark...
  10. D

Points and Condenser Guy needs help! (long)

More from the points and condensor guy Thanks for the kind words, not-so-tall-one. Lessee.... No, my SSII tester did not give me a 111 after the KOEO test, come to think of it. It happens pretty fast with the SSII tester; I get a 10 and then the 214. I am going to test again maybe...
  11. D

Points and Condenser Guy needs help! (long)

Hello to all; I really appreciate this part of the forum. I have not seen such helpful info anywhere else. As I have said before, I am a points and condenser guy; somewhat (more than somewhat, actually) baffled by this new to me EEC-IV technology. The vehicle I am working on is a 1994...
  12. D

A Primer on "Breakout Boxes" and Accessories

Breakout boxes, meters, etc. Glacier; I have an OTC 60 pin breakout box for Ford (it arrived last week) and also the Ford T90P-50-ALA Teves Anti-Lock Brake Harness. However I did not get any instructions with either tool. Will the factory shop manuals have enough instructions for me to be...
  13. D

Code 214

Cam and Crank Position Sensors I think you have that backwards. The crank position sensor is easy to find the cam position sensor about impossible. I have the CD shop book and a paper EVTM and still have no idea what the thing looks like. I don't know if the cam position sensor can even be...
  14. D

A Primer on "Breakout Boxes" and Accessories

Breakout boxes and such I have two 90s cars; a '94 Explorer and a '93 MK VIII. The factory manuals for both have lots of tests which involve breakout boxes. I was very interested to read these posts. I have found some used breakout boxes and purchased one; has not arrived yet...
  15. D

Where and what is a MAF Sensor

To All; I looked at the emissions part of my CD (supposedly from Ford originally). My particular Explorer, being made for California, has SFI-MAF fuel injection. Apparently that means it has a Cam Sensor. I have yet to identify that particular part on my motor however. I have never seen...
  16. D

Hi Brooklyn; That is a pretty informative link (to MAF info). Somewhat over my head, but informative nonetheless. I have no plans to tweak my MAF; I just hope it does not generate any error codes! I gather you are from Brooklyn; I was born in Manhattan, at the Doctor's Hospital (don't...
  17. D

Code 214 - SO much $$ Anyone tried to replace the crankshaft sensor?

I have a 1994 Explorer and also the sales brochure I think more or less came with the truck. It says that the induction system is "Multi-Port electronic fuel injection with EEC-IV computer." Which type is that? Thanks; DJ94
  18. D

Hi James; Thanks for the reply and Happy Birthday to Us! I am a little older; I will be 64 this year. I do remember the day Elvis died; for some reason I thought it was the day after out B'Day but maybe not. Thanks for your generous offer for sensors! I need to find an OBDII tester, I am...
  19. D

Magalia Hi Biggs; I take it you are from Biggs? As in the Sacramento Valley? Yes that is close! And we have the same birthday?? Now that is a conincidence! I will be 'way too old this year; how about you? Sadly I am not a beer drinker but we can go out in my front yard and shoot...
  20. D

Code 214?

I am researching the same thing you are. Apparently there are a number of possibilities from bad wiring to cam and/or crank sensors. I hope to see pictures of those sensors one of these days. DJ94
  21. D

Need Help

I am reading these threads with great interest as I also have the 214 code problem and need to solve it so I can get my Explorer smogged; and I need to get on it pretty soon. I hope to have a breakout box soon and also a shop manual; paper or CD or both. In this day and age what are we to...
  22. D

Code 214 - SO much $$ Anyone tried to replace the crankshaft sensor?

Does anyone have photos of these parts and their locations? (I might not know one if it came over and bit me!) Thanks; DJ94
  23. D

Thanks for the help! I did read some other posts about this part and the screws also; and then I found it on my vehicle. Those photos are excellent and confirm what the part looks like. I have also read about what it does and how to clean it ... and now the sad part ... my little code reader...
  24. D

Code 214?

I have exactly the same situation in my 1994 Explorer. Did you resolve yours? If so; what did you find? Mr. Shorty; Obviously you know your way around this newfamgled electronic complication whereas I, read all these little 3letter abbreviations for things and have no idea what these...
  25. D

Hello; and thanks for letting me post here. I am a newbie to this forum. I have a stock 1994 Explorer with automatic transmission and 4WD. I have a cheapie code reader which told me that my check engine light is coming on because of my MAF. I would not know an MAF if it stood up and...
Back