Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

fuel pump replacement

Ditto Koda's learning curve. Experience definitely makes this job faster. Do yourself a favor and get a fuel pressure tester (you should be able to rent one from the parts store). It screws onto the fuel rail with a Schrader valve (liked your tire). You can just turn the key on and see if you...
  2. N

cooling system and spark plugs 98explorer 5.0

My suggestion is to rent a pressure pump and put 5-7 lbs of pressure on it. This should show you where it's leaking without the engine running. Your cap should blow @ 16 lbs but you car runs around 5-7. putting a large strain could bring more problems you don't need.
  3. N

96 5.0 - Observations while troubleshooting cooling system problems

Hey Bill, I seriously considered following your lead on both builds. I now know that the low pressure, 5#, makes that possible.
  4. N

PLEASE HELP NEEDED QUICKLY! Tranny fluid leaks

You mentioned that it's hard to tell on the dipstick. Most likely because the fluid level is too low to show at all. What you see is fluid from the side of the tube. Once you have enough fluid it will show on the stick. Also, your stick likely has 2 measurements. 1 for cold and 1 for hot. If...
  5. N

What spins

It might be an intermittent misfire. Misfires may be caused by: 1. Bad spark plug 2. Bad spark plug wire 3. Bad coil pack 4. Bad fuel injector 5. Loss of compression
  6. N

Agreed... It became obvious that the radiator and the repair shop were the weak points. Hopefully someone will read this and learn they are better off to do their own testing with the right tools.
  7. N

After doing this job on two different Gen II's and seeing the similarities in the problems I just couldn't help but chuckle and share the story. From now on I will pressure test any coolant repair I make before starting the vehicle.
  8. N

Driver door lock key question

Sounds like the linkage may not be connected to the outside door handle. The unlock button is likely a broken spring. There's an easy fix if you get the right spring you can attach it and get it working again. There should be multiple threads about it. But it's pretty straight forward once...
  9. N

Key Fob

2nd the eBay fob. I've had good luck with them. Programming is easy.
  10. N

The day after Christmas, the wife, middle son, and I were 100 miles out of town at the in-laws and were just starting back. After stopping to get a Jamba Juice for the road. As we were walking back to the car and I noticed a fair amount of fluid running out under the Ex. A quick inspection...
  11. N

Could use some advice.

You have a great list here. Did you ever sort this out?
  12. N

What I believe is lifter tick....

I solved my tick with new fuel injectors. Bad spray patterns can cause all sorts of burn behavior.
  13. N

1996 Cranks but Wont start....Fuel pump?

You can check the pressure at the Schrader valve. Then you'll know if you're on the right track.
  14. N

Felpro timing cover gasket kit

I've done this same job a couple of times. You only need to remove the 4 bolts from the oil pan into the timing cover. Reuse the gasket as it is a one piece and much better quality gasket than the cork. Use rtv in the corner to prevent leaking. Most important, make sure the tabs on the U...
  15. N

Front end and steering wheel shakes after fuel pump installation

I know this is an old thread but I just want to say thanks. This thread helped me out after I had to move my truck mid water pump / timing cover job. The wheels developed a terrible shimmy after I moved the truck without the belt on. After the job was completed I turned the wheels full right...
  16. N

Rear fan blower R&R

I decided to redo the wifes 96 5.0 XLT interior last weekend. All went well, I tore out seats, console, carpet. I took advantage of having the carpet out to use the access panel and swap a couple of O2 sensors. This car has had a problem with the rear fan blower in the console since I...
  17. N

Door wont unlock

Just like everyone else I found the spring in the Latch. I've been opening the door from the rear for so long it's embarassing! Thanks for posting the pics on this thread. I'll finish my door tomorrow.
  18. N

98 Explorer won't restart - occassionally

This is just a plug and play thing and relatively inexpensive. For the future, just get used to listening for the pump when you turn the key to the on posistion before you try to turn it over. It's finally not raining here so I'm troubleshooting a couple of things myself.
  19. N

"How to" on a Billit Grille

Get yourself a latch from a 98. It opens from the top. Otherwise it's a real hassle to open the hood.
  20. N

4.0 Injectors

There are fuel injector cleaning services that are very affordable http://www.accurateis.com/ is one. Good luck! It is well worth having them cleaned.
  21. N

replacing dash switch bulbs (4x4, rear defrost, rear wiper)

Hey, I think it's the same as the light on the headlight switch. 7219 Micro lamp from Radio Shack. Pkg of 2 $1.19.
  22. N

Used explorer check list

This list has been done before. On the list for me: All fluids - Radiator - Engine oil - Transmision - Front Diff - Rear Diff - Transfer Case - Brake Fluid (yes, it wicks moisture over the years) All filters - Air, oil, fuel. - I added a duel by-pass oil filter (look it up, well...
  23. N

Back doors open from outside but not inside

This is super common (especially if you have kids that ride in the back). I've probably replaced a 1/2 dozen through the years in 4 vehicles. Just ask the dealer for the correct side. Then plan 10-15 minutes your first time. Enjoy!
  24. N

How to deal with your significant other

Once I upgraded to Wife version 2.0 all of those issues about not spending money on cars, motorcycles, boats went away. Wife 2.0 likes her Ex and wouldn't trade it.
  25. N

I just want to say that I got 334.9 miles

Just a quick point here for reference. The 2 door Ex has a 17.5 gallon tank while the 4 door has a 21 gallon tank. This may account for some of the range differences.
Back