Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Intermittent low idle & stall - No codes from OBD-II

I cleaned the IAC and there was no improvement. I may just replace it, but with no codes, I am hard pressed to think that sensor is bad. The MAF is clean.
  2. T

Harbor Freight OBD-II Reader

OBD-II readers are universal on all vehicles 96 and newer. :thumbsup:
  3. T

Intermittent low idle & stall - No codes from OBD-II

I have an intermittent problem with a low idle approx 500 & less. The truck will then stall. Always starts right up. My obd-ii is not showing any codes. The truck has had the 90k w/ new filters, fi was also cleaned. Any ideas on what is causing this? It was doing this before and after the...
  4. T

I'm thinking even more of joining the darkside...

Jeeps are for chicks. j/k. I like jeeps but everyone has one at least in AZ, and they all look the same (black crawlers, 4" lift). Then again unless your ex is heavily moded you are in the same boat. Why not just buy a limited?
  5. T

Tom M. 98 Ford Explorer

6. T

What Stock Gear Ratio?

Sorry, I read the axle wrong. I have a 3.73 LS. I saw 8.8 after the code & thought that was the gear number.
  7. T

for real or just looks

It's all Go here. I want it to look good, but all mods are to make it wheel better and to get my a$$ home.
  8. T

What Stock Gear Ratio?

Checked the axle code and I have 3.88 open.
  9. T

My weekend project..

Tom, That thing is awesome, you did a great job. I really like the new front end and cage.
  10. T

Beating a dead horse but any one know of a web site that has a step by step ...

They are pretty easy, just 4 bolts to remove the caliper and the bracket it sits in. Remember to tie off the caliper so it doesn't hang by the brake line. There should be some little metal rings around a couple of the studs, just pull those off. After that the rotor will slide right off. If it...
  11. T

New wheels/tires out of round?

Need help Possible wheels/tire out of round? I am getting a bad vibration around 65mph. I just put on my wheels MB70 (589 style) w/ 31x10.5. I did the TT also. The truck did not vibrate prior. I did have the wheels balanced and rotated with no luck. Does anyone know where I can take them to see...
  12. T

Looking for 4-6" lift for 98 explorer 4x4

That RCD kit looks very nice, but will completely void my warranty on the truck. I think I will continue looking at the Superlift since it is about $1500.00 complete. Thanks for the help.
  13. T

After market wheels for 1st gen bolt 2nd gen ex

Thanks guys. I did bolt them on last night. I blew a stock tire while out wheeling so I did the TT & put on the wheels. The only thing that did not go was the center caps as I expected. Thanks for the help.
  14. T

I forgot to mention my 92 was a 2wd & the 98 is a 4wd. No problem except new front center caps, right?
  15. T

Thanks, I plan on the TT & AAL but wanted to make sure my wheels would go first.
  16. T

Thanks. Was there a Trailmaster lift that was coming out too? I thought there was a featured ride on here showing it. I checked Trailmaster's site but came up with nothing.
  17. T

The Shakes!

I tried all the above on my 92 and nothing fixed the 65-75 shakes. This is a common problem on 91-94 explorers. I got so tired of it, I finally traded mine in for a 98 4x4. There is a place on here that discussed it, there was fix which Ford did that added a fifth shock over the rear axle to...
  18. T

I kept my 589's w. 31x10.5's they are a 15x8 w/ standard offset off my old 92 ex . I just purchased a 98 ex 4x4. Will the 589's go onto the new truck without any problems?
  19. T

98 Explorer factory CD/Tape unit problem

Hey guys, I have a 98 exploder with the in dash cd/tape combo. The display screen is not working, but the stereo/cd work just fine. Does anybody know what could have caused this and how to fix it?
  20. T

Does anybody know who make a 4-6" lift kit for the 98 4x4 explorer? I know about the TT & Shackle, but I want something bigger w/o a body lift. I did a search & came up with nothing. Youre help would be greatly appreciated.
  21. T

New Front End. Still Shakes over 60mph?

It was shaking long before the new wheels. Replacing the bushings made it feel tighter but did nothing to take out the vibration.
  22. T

The tires & wheels are brand new. They were put on the week before it went to the shop. I have been thinking it might be in the rear end now. Could the driveshaft or rearend cause a bad virbration like this, that only appears at highway speeds?
  23. T

Hey Guys, I had my truck in the shop. They replaced the RA bushings & Axle Pivot bushings. The shop said that the ball joints were good. They suggested repacking the bearings & getting aligned, which I will. The thing is that the truck now shakes just as bad if not worse than before I took it...
  24. T

Ditching the rear sway bar. Good or Bad.

Thanks guys, I do tow a small trailer that carries the dirt bikes. I pulled the overloads and there was not a big difference in towing. I am definetely going to take off the rear sway bar for awhile and see how I like it.
  25. T

Ditching the rear sway bar. Good or Bad.

Has anyone taken out the rear sway bar on their 1st gen explorer? Any pros cons? Is a second shock needed? Can any more drop travel be obtained by pulling the sway bar? I am running adjustable Ranchos so can I stiffen the rear for roll? Thanks ahead of time.
Back