Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

1st gen Upgrades?...

Hi All, I'm considering various upgrades to my X. I have a '93 Explorer. She is my DD but I'd like to do something special for it. I don't have a lot of currency to throw at it. However she needs a suspension rebuild. I want to put a lift kit on her. I mean really, if I'm going to go...
  2. K

No heat, tried so many things,

Well I ran into this same problem and found this thread. I pulled the ashtray out and sure enough the cable is disconnected. Thanks for the diagnosis. I have however run into 1 small issue. There doesn't seem to be any way to secure the cable to the post. The post on the adjustment arm seems...
  3. K

93 Explorer suspension worn out. Lift kit replacement?

Thanks for the responses. I will have to look into what needs to be done to the axles for the 32" tires. Also I'll have to look into using the the longer shackles as a temp fix, but I've decided to make this a project truck. I live in Sedona, AZ now and would like to be able to take it on the...
  4. K

Update to my question. I've done some further digging online, and I've found that there seem to be 2 manufacturers that have kits that include full sets of rear leaf springs in addition to all the other parts: Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift (Part #440 .20)and Super Lift (SKU: K490). They...
  5. K

I am at a crossroad and have a decision to make. I have a 1993 Explorer XLT with 189,000 mi on it, and I have replaced numerous items including the A4LD transmission 3 times. It has a bunch of issues, but what I am concerned about at the moment is the suspension. The coils and leaves are worn...
  6. K

Checking the Electronic Shift Control Module

Manual Hubs Hey there Anmag. Question for you. I don't see much reason to be using the Electronic Shift Control Module if you installed manual locking hubs. Manual as in you have to get out of the vehicle and turn the "dial" on the hub to engage the 4wheel drive. I'm no expert but it just...
  7. K

Yes I am aware of the motor and it's teardown procedures, and if it still doesn't workafter I replace the module, I'll pull the motor and do the the teardown then. But since there isn't any power passing through the electronic shift control module I'm going to start by replacing it...
  8. K

Thanks for the info maroon93limited. I will try that on my next day off. I just got a gig at a national parts store chain and they have been working me frantically. I'll post back the results after I can perform the test.
  9. K

Where to go for Transmission Problems - Opinions Needed

Thanks to everyone who answered this post. It's been a while since I accessed the site and I thought it would be good to let you all know what I did. The idea of swapping over from an A4LD to a 700R4 was intriguing, but after talking it over with a guy at a shop seemed very expensive. I would...
  10. K

Hello Enthusiasts! I've been having trouble with the 4x4 in my 93 Explorer. So I took it to my cousins shop here in the northeast and he did some testing and apparently there is no signal getting past the ESCM. So of course I pulled it and have one coming from a salvage place close to me...
  11. K

Responses Thanks Scott for detailing your experiences. I just had this tranny rebuilt 2 years ago at a small shop in Central Florida (technically its still under warranty for several more days, but that is local only and now I live in CT.) After installing a new PCU I have run into a problem...
  12. K

Hi again everyone. I'm trying to make a decision so this may be more of a rambling instead of anything productive, and I think I already have my answer, but if I could get some opinions it may help me. I need to get some tranny work done on my 93 Explorer XLT and I'm having trouble...
  13. K

New PCM Installed. What's next?

Hey all, I just installed a new PCM into my '93 X. This is the 2nd of 2. The one I installed before this ran the truck well for about 45 mins, after which it wouldn't properly control the overdrive switch. That was weird, because in any gear other than overdrive it would drive as if the...
  14. K

Replacing PCV valve on '93 X

Thanks for the tips. I will follow the steps you've outlined. Those open vacuum lines are there because I had to pull them to get a clean pic of the PCV assembly. I reconnected them after I had the picture. Good spot though. ;)
  15. K

Replacing PCV valve on '93 X

Hey all, I'm in the process of replacing my X's PCV valve and could use some help confirming its connected properly. The replacement part I got is manufactured by/for Champion from Autozone. It is a valve with a double 90 plastic hose connector connected to the top. The PCV I have in there...
  16. K

Mass Air Flow

Wish I had known that before I ran out to Ford and got a new MAF sensor from them. I had a mechanic friend of mine test it with the multimeter and he told me it was bad and would have to be replaced. I'm wondering now if I spent money I didn't have to (even though I got a shop discount.)
  17. K

Anybody use Dynomax Exhaust?

I'm running a Flowmaster 40 (yes I know that wasn't the question) cat back system, single muffler. It gives the truck a real throaty sound that I like. Only now am I wishing I had it modded and did dual outs.
  18. K

Duralast vs. Bosch Wiresets. My Problems and Your Opinions.

My problem isn't in the wires. Grrrr... So I replaced the Duralast wires with the Bosch the other night, and now I'm getting a surging in the engine. That was why I replaced the plugs and the wires in the first place. Anywho, that's for another topic thread. I checked the Duralast wires...
  19. K

2 bad sets back to back? OK I'm going to go out and get the Bosch wires today. It's an extra $7. Big deal right? I'll replace them tomorrow since its Mom's B-day today and I promised to spend time. But really what is the possibility that I got 2 sets of bad Duralast's back to back? Is...
  20. K

Hey all. I need your opinons. I just changed out a few parts on my 93 XLT and after getting the firing order correct on the wires everything seemed to run fine. The wires are where my question for you all lies. The truck ran fine like I said, but only for a short time. After a few hours...
  21. K

What is the average age of people on the forum????

A lively 33 here. Been with this forum for a couple of months.
  22. K

Problem shifting from 1-2

Ok BrooklynBay. I checked the ATF level twice yesterday (cold and hot). Both times on flat ground, running, and in park. When cold the fluid level is overfull, but when hot its normal. What components in the Tranny hold fluid when the engine is off besides the trans pan? What I think is...
  23. K

Problem shifting from 1-2

Hi Explorer Gurus... I'm also having a problem with the tranny in my '93 Explorer XLT. I had the transmission rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago, and the people who did it told me they changed everything but the transmission casing. Now all of a sudden during the last week it won't shift right...
  24. K

Help! I can't remove my rear brake drum

You probably have a worn drum that is getting hung up on the brake shoes. The drum develops a bit of a "lip" around the edge of the drum as it wears, and if this isn't periodically filed down it can cause a problem with drum removal. When this happened to me I just grabbed a trusty hammer and...
Back