Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

96 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6 suddenly dies- changed relays

Thanks for the reply Dono, vroomzoomboom. Much appreciated. I had the oem Ford fuel pump replaced when it died 50,000 miles ago at 120,000 miles, which is about normal for the Explorers, along with a new fuel filter. The fuel pump is cycling, heard it when I did do the key on test. I replaced...
  2. 1

I have a 96 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6, 170,000 miles, that has twice suddenly died at random times when driving on surface streets the last 2 weeks. Truck died on me today after driving half a block. Engine just suddenly cut out, quit, would not immediately re-start, starter cranked fine, no problem...
  3. 1

I have a 96 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6, 170,000 miles, that has twice suddenly died at random times when driving on surface streets the last 2 weeks. Truck died on me today after driving half a block. Engine just suddenly cut out, quit, would not immediately re-start, starter cranked fine, no problem...
  4. 1

Check Your Fan Blade!!!!!

IMHO, if you have cracks at the fan blade & hub, replace the fan. It is just a matter of time as to when that fan will fail, the blade(s) separates from the hub. Actually the white plastic cooling fans that always crack like this within a year or 2 or 3 are the cheapo replacement aftermarket...
  5. 1

how do i bypass amp without a amp bypass harness???

There are pigtail harnesses, with the correct male and female factory plugs needed, that connect together all the wires, WITHOUT any cutting / splicing of wires. Check your local auto sound installer or look on eBay. What sort of amp did you pull out of the back? Did u have the factory JBL...
  6. 1

96 Explorer 4.0L 2WD - 4R55E saga. Help needed!

Good luck and I am sure it will turn out OK! :thumbsup: :D Dave, No worries. Make sure this person gives you all the hard and soft parts he replaced when you pick up your truck. Have this person put the trannie back together and reinstall it in the truck and have the codes read out by...
  7. 1

Dave is losing coolant!

Same problem Yep, I live in SoCal. I have the same problem right now on a 96 Explorer 4.0 V6 "X" version engine with 119,000 miles. I checked the radiator overflow tank and it is empty and I check the radiator next (WHEN IT IS STONE COLD) and the coolant is low. I am starting to see a slight...
  8. 1

Get The Dtc Codes Read By Someone Else Hi Dave, Your mechanic has got to be kidding. If the transmission is not working correctly, there will be DTC codes stored in the PCM detailing what the problem is. Approach this step by step, logically. 1. As I have said in my earlier emails to you and...
  9. 1

Hi Dave, Replace the trannie. Sue the mechanic at the repair shop. May I suggest this place on eBay? This guy who owns and runs this shop, gives a great warranty, 2 years, 24000 miles and is very reasonable. I emailed back and forth with him when I had my problems and he was very helpful...
  10. 1

Get the DTC codes with your unit, post them here, buy ATSG rebuild manual :us: Hi Dave, If your trannie runs fine initially and then is still shifting from 1st to 3rd with no 2nd, you must have DTC PO732, incorrect gear ratio, which means a mechanical failure in the trannie, like the...
  11. 1

IMHO, some suggestions...... Hi Dave, Sorry to hear your situation. I re-read all the posts on this thread. This is just a transmission and yes, there are people out there that know how to repair it. Take it to one of them and just pay the money to get it fixed. Initially my...
  12. 1

Get all the DTC codes again from the truck and post them Hey Dave, Happy new year. Sorry to hear no solution for you and your mechanic. I would get all DTC codes again for your truck to see what is going on and post them here. I do have the ATSG transmission rebuild book for this trannie that...
  13. 1

Could be almost anything in the drivetrain electronics or a battery... Hey Dave, Could be a battery going bad, an alternator going bad causing weird electrical problems and problems in a computer controlled drivetrain and engine...... A bad ground at the battery or on the wiring harness in the...
  14. 1

Check The Dtc Codes 1st Now... Then Step By Step... Thanks Dave, I saw what you did initially with your trans at the very start. What DTC codes are you now getting from your truck and from the transmission? Have you had them read by a Ford dealer? The DTC codes are very accurate and...
  15. 1

Torque Convertor Woes

Hi, IMHO, I have had GREAT experience with Mobil1 Synthetic ATF fluid for all my trannies from my 2 Explorers to my BMW's. It works great. Changing the ATF fluid and filter every 12,000 miles is cheap and a no brainer as well as a fluid flush if you are towing a boat. My 2wd 94 Explorer with...
  16. 1

flashing O/D light on 95 explorer

Hi, Take things step by step in figuring out what is wrong. Try reading this posting first on figuring out what is wrong with your transmission. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170162 Taking off the battery cable and "resetting"/erasing all the stored faults in your PCM...
  17. 1

Disconnect Torque Converter? - Transmission Slip between 1st and 2nd

Did you get the OBDII diganostic codes???? Hi, Again, what were the OBD II DTC codes that were read out from your Explorer with a scan tool? Did any of the places you went to write down on the work order sheet those codes when they scanned the PCM? They should have. It makes it alot easier to...
  18. 1

dammit

you bought the extended warranty for your truck, why not use it? I agree, if you have the extended warranty from when you bought your truck, does it cover transmission repairs? Is it a FORD extended warranty or an aftermarket one from a used car lot? Read your warranty to see if your...
  19. 1

Slipping

You're welcome. He read the OBD II DTC codes and the 2nd code accurately reflected what was wrong with the transmission, a mechanical problem. We dropped the valve body and saw a broken intermediate band retainer. Let us know what you find out.
  20. 1

Slipping

Matt, Could be a few things but I would get it checked out ASAP before you do additional damage. Since you are in L.A., go to Gaby at Jul's Transmission on Hyperion (323)666-1955 in Hollywood, have him drive the truck, and have him scan the OBD II DTC codes for your transmission and he will...
  21. 1

Solved Transmission Common Sense If You Have A Problem....

Thanks, to you too. VW automatics have always been nightmares; but especially the newer ones for the last 4 years....
  22. 1

Disconnect Torque Converter? - Transmission Slip between 1st and 2nd

Hi LeonJack, First off, if you don't have the money to fix your transmission problems and if you plan to drive the truck/transmission for awhile with a check engine light and especially a flashing OD light, plan on doing a complete rebuild of your transmission at some point in the near future...
  23. 1

Solved Transmission Common Sense If You Have A Problem....

Thanks Pete. It is very important to change the filter in the pan, at the valve body, even if you have an inline magnetic filter for the ATF and I will tell you why. My transmission mechanic Gaby, at Jul's Transmission in Hollywood, Ca. showed me last week a 2005 Ford Expedition 4wd automatic...
  24. 1

shifting problems and no reverse

Hi kcmoe, It is very hard to diagnose what is wrong with your transmission without you having the OBDII DTC codes. You need to go step by step in making an informed diagnosis of the problem otherwise you will spend many hours chasing down a fix, based on anecdotal information you read online...
  25. 1

You're welcome and thanks for all the insight and help initially. I wonder what bkDave ended up doing?
Back