Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Opening Driver Side Door

I have been looking at it for a couple of days and I do not know what else to do. I have been pulling on the metal bar to open the door to remove the panel but it is not working and since the outside latch is not working I am stumped. I am considering dynamite but am putting this back in the air...
  2. C

Opening Driver Side Door

I have gotten to the metal bar and I am tugging like hell but no give. I will look on it again on my day off.
  3. C

Opening Driver Side Door

My drivers side door had broke and I temporarily repaired it. I lent it to my father and he broke the inside door handle and now the door will not open from the inside or the outside. I need to remove the interior panel to replace the handle but I cannot do that if the door cannot open. What can...
  4. C

Coolant Huffing

Too late on the Accord just came home with a nice 03 Mountaineer. But I kept the explorer instead of trading it in for the pocket lint they were offering.
  5. C

Coolant Huffing

Well, that thermostat looks pretty expensive to fix... I might as well bite the bullet and get that 5.0 liter, leather seats, alloy rims, overhead console Mountaineer before that $30000 thermostat problem destroys the planet. Oh I feel so sad *snigger*
  6. C

Coolant Huffing

Weird title but that is what it feels like i'm doing. I will drive the truck, 99 sport ohv, and when I pull over and shut off the engine I will have this burning smell and see smoke coming from under the hood. When I pop the hood I see that there is coolant leaking from under the coolant tank...
  7. C

Locked Drivers Dor

Sorry about the title but I am having a problem with my drivers door on my 99 sport. The other day I realized that I could not open the door from the outside and the outside latch felt loose. I thought it was broken a decided to look at it on the weekend and just opened it from the passenger...
  8. C

Which GPS unit would you have Santa bring you this year?

This is mine. http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-StreetPilot-c330-Vehicle-Navigator/dp/B0007LJHVA/sr=8-1/qid=1169770610/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7182622-8980138?ie=UTF8&s=electronics Bought it as a beginners gps and stuck it above my registration sticker so I didn't have to think anymore and it is...
  9. C

Transmission Service

97redsport, my dad and I are going to check the brakes tomorrow. Do you have any tips as to what specifically to look for?
  10. C

Transmission Service

You could be right about the brakes. I tried the other gear ranges and there was no clunk. I also hear this whining noise when I increased my speed. I thought it was the transmission, now I am not so sure. Finally, I drove it one morning and forgot to release my parking brakes and it drove the...
  11. C

Transmission Service

Are you talking about a manual or automatic?
  12. C

Transmission Service

my transmission has started to do the customary bang at 2-3 (upshift and downshift always) and in reverse sometimes. The fluid was a bit low so I added half a quart of mercon v to hold it over, but decided that a transmission flush would be a good first step. My problem is that I am having...
  13. C

Power Steering Crisis

You were right. The grinding is starting to go away and the real problem is starting to emerge. The truck shudders and hesitates when accelerating from a stop, so it looks like I probably need a tuneup or some (expensive) sensors.
  14. C

Power Steering Crisis

Ok. I'll drive it around for a while and see what happens.
  15. C

Power Steering Crisis

Yeah, I tested it this morning and the driving was fine. The shuddering my sister reported was not caused by the engine but when you turned the steering wheel to go around a corner it was like turning a pepper grinder. It still turns easily, so I am getting power, it just turns like sand go into...
  16. C

Power Steering Crisis

I went out and bought a new steering pump just in case. When I went out there in the afternoon, there was a nice puddle of oil underneath the car that was not engine, transmission, etc. The power steering oil is still at the top of the neck where you put in the fluid and it is not going back...
  17. C

Power Steering Crisis

I own a 99 sport ohv engine and I do not know what to make of this problem. This morning I woke up and drove the explorer about 50 miles and then lent it to my sister. She called and said that it had died on her and it would not start. When I went to where she had broken down, I saw that the...
  18. C

Suspension Work

Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to leave it in the shops for a couple of days for it to get looked at properly. By the way, does autozone or oreillys sell any decent suspension and steering parts? I know the brands they sell, like EIBACH swaybars, but would like to know your opinions.
  19. C

Suspension Work

Yeah, my steering turns a bit before it catches. I am just afraid how much these problems are going to add up to.
  20. C

Suspension Work

Yeah, I know its a truck, I just did not expect to be thrown around like that in a corner at 10mph. I kind of liked the ranchos because if I didn't like one setting I could choose another without despairing that I had bought the wrong suspension. The ee swaybars look great and I am definitely...
  21. C

Suspension Work

What do you think about sway bars? I see people on this forum recommending saleen so I assume that the Mustang sway bar is compatible with our trucks.
  22. C

Suspension Work

I, frankly, am terrified of my explorer. When I got it, it had 165000 miles on it (cost $1900) and was in decent condition. Since then I am afraid to drive it on any road that has a corner ie; all of them. The body roll is phenomenal, especially when I am on a ramp interchange and I have to...
  23. C

Jack location?

I think ford has the manuals for download in pdf format, I just forgot the website.
Back