Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Atlas Leaf Springs in SoCal

http://atlasleafspring.com/index.html Anyone heard anything about this shops springs? I want to lose my sagging and stiff Old Man Emu and shackle setup so I need some new leaves with 4-5 inches of lift. And I don't want to go SOA. These guys say they will build custom packs for $220 per...
  2. J

Bending my suspension back into place

On the last run on Cleghorn I again bent my superlift suspension in a couple of areas in front of the crossmember on some rude rocks. This has happened before and the places where the metal is bending are annoying because as my suspension cycles it rubs on the lower control arm and makes aweful...
  3. J

Frazier Park run 6-25

I went out for a mild "run and picnic" with a Land Rover buddy of mine and the wives. It was really nice up there at about 6000 feet considering how hot it is elsewhere. We saw lots of wildlife and surprisingly there is still some running water around. On a side note my truck is absolutely...
  4. J

Volkswagen passat or Volvo S40

I am looking to buy an 2002 of either of these cars for the wife. I like the Passat because it is a 5 speed manual, only 38,000 miles, 4 cylinder turbo, and the owner just gave it the 40,000 mile service. I can probably get it for around $12000 and has a warranty good until 2008. The Volvo...
  5. J

Azusa Canyon may be more than just mud

Obstacle course offers a new option Hugo Martín December 6, 2005 Los Angeles Times THE U.S. Forest Service is considering adding a new obstacle course to the San Gabriel Canyon Off-Highway Vehicle Area. The proposed 2-acre course would include a rock garden, a bed of logs and a boulder...
  6. J

So that I can make truckhaven next weekend

I need some help. I am swapping my auto tcase in my '99 for the BW1354 manual. I have finally amassed everything I need, put the tcase in and am installing the driveshaft. But the damn driveshaft is too long! Both the tcase and driveshaft are from a '94. The driveshaft is too long by a half...
  7. J

Busted brake line...on the freeway!

Well, as I was just getting off the freeway anyway. Driving on the 5 freeway south getting off at Mcbean pkwy and as I start to brake the pedal goes to the floor. So I hit my nearly worthless ebrake which does stop me as I go into the intersection under a red light. I limp over to the side as a...
  8. J

Rancho Coil Overs for 3rd Gen Explorer on the way

Not sure if this has been discussed but looks like it will be a reality. ---------------- Nissan Titan, Ford F-150 Owners Now Can Enjoy Exclusive Rancho® "Triple-Adjustable" Suspensions New Technology Helps Consumers Easily Upgrade Wheel/Tire Packages, Enhance Vehicle Versatility With...
  9. J

Southern Cal trip this weekend

Is anyone doing any trips this weekend? I have Sunday off and was thinking of heading out somewhere. Miller Jeep and the trails up there just opened and should be more fun than usual, so I was thinking of checking that out for Sunday.
  10. J

Silverwood Lake pics

Went to fish/explore a few weeks back around Cleghorn Cyn. and Silverwood Lake. The gate for Cleghorn was closed so we went around to the lake and found a "most difficult" rated trail (2N17X) that turned out to be (at least I thought so) more challenging (if you took the optional routes) than...
  11. J

Overdrive on/off switch assembly

How do I take off the cover for the overdrive assembly on the shift column to change the switch? Just a screwdriver? I dont have my explorer manual with me. Thanks
  12. J

Pics of recent So Cal runs

I need a digital camera soon. I finally got these pictures of a couple of recent runs in January. The pics below are of a Big Bear run. We wanted to do the John Bull but as we got farther into the trail the snow and ice got worse, not a good combo for my low clearance and no sliders, and one of...
  13. J

John Bull Trail 1/25/04

I am planning on running the John Bull Trail this Sunday with some buddies to test out all the latest mods. One has a new Austrian Pinzgauer (and he has a cabin in Big Bear) and the others have well modded Disco's. Sunday looks like it may have snow flurries up there too so that will add an...
  14. J

Miller Jeep trail pics

Here are some pics from a run up Miller Jeep Trail last weekend. My buddy with his new Disco wanted to get it dirty as he just installed sliders, front and rear diff guards, and a rear trutrac. So we packed up and brought the girlfriends. I let my girlfriend drive most of the "difficult...
  15. J

10-11-03 Miller Jeep trail run

Anyone up for a Miller Jeep trail run this Saturday? If I didn't have other stuff to do in the morning I'd join Ken and others on Carlysle but so be it. A couple co-workers of mine want to test out their rigs, a slightly modified and new Disco, and a well built 80's land cruiser. Possibly...
  16. J

5r55e owners FYI

I am having the 2-3 shift flare problem discussed in the article below. I heard from some mechanics that I needed a rebuild. A good tranny mechanic I know had this article and said he sees the problem often. Rebuild rarely required, just a little knowledge. If you are having the problem take...
  17. J

5R55E tranny issues

After having my codes read and dealing with the "TCC Solenoid Malfunction" for a few months, I got the necessary parts and changed out the Solenoid this weekend. However the problem persists. And now after I changed the solenoid i am sometimes getting a delayed shift from 3-4. The revs rise...
  18. J

Photos Miller Jeep trail

Here are a few pics of a trip I took in early April to the Miller Jeep trail and Hungry Valley. The forest service said the trail opened for the season the day before and we were the first 4x4's taking it that he heard about. That was confirmed when we got to the top and there was a huge fallen...
  19. J

mystery leak

I've got a fluid leak somewhere, but I can't find it yet. I searched for a source under the car with lots of lights but can't find it. On the front passenger side axle there is a brownish oil layer on, above and around the CV shaft near the inside of the boot and on the front of the torsion...
  20. J

OME Nitrocharger equipped Xplorers

I just installed these shocks on my X. And they work great. But I had some extra washers when I was finished. Some larger steel washers and some small gasket like pieces. I could not see where these would go when I was installing the shocks, and from my past experience installing shocks, seem...
  21. J

Front locker concerns on the IFS

In the event that someone (ARB, Killer Axles, etc.) does eventually make a locker for the late model IFS Explorers, how do you think the front end (CV joints, auto hubs, etc. ) will hold up with the added torque off road? How have the IFS front ends been holding up for the few of you that...
  22. J

A few pics from yesterday

I went back out to Rowher Flats with my boss and his newly 31" BFG MT equipped GC yesterday to take advantage of the newly rutted trails after the rains we have been having here in Southern California. The trail was so much more difficult that we had to bypass the most difficult area after...
  23. J

Recent Rowher Flats Run w/pics

My buddy and I went out to get our trucks dirty at Rowher Flats 2 weeks ago after it rained. The trail was significantly more difficult as the rain had made the ground very loose and rutted and the clay very sticky. My draggin' tail is really starting to show now, as my leaves are further...
  24. J

front locker for IFS Xplorer.

http://www.killeraxles.com/html/locker.html[/URL] Looks like this locker will no longer be vacuum operated, rather air or electric due to strength reasons. Can't wait!
  25. J

changing the TPS on the SOHC

I finally solved my problem. My O/D light was flashing so I went through the list of possibilities as the tranny was still shifting perfectly and the fluid was clean. First I changed the solenoid in the tranny, with no luck. Then I went to Autozone and asked for a TPS for a '99 SOHC which...
Back