Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Now is time to say goodbye....

Alas, the time has come for me to retire the Ex. She was good over the 6 years or so that I owned her. Never left me stranded (well,.. not anywhere too bad). I planned on keeping her for emergency in the winters and buying a little 4cyl. to travel the 80 miles or so of my daily commute the...
  2. T

replace clutch slave cyl

4wd...clutch and slave just replaced about 2 years (10k miles) ago. (from what I recall of the job back then was writing a sizable check to the garage and waiting)
  3. T

replace clutch slave cyl

OK, backed out of driveway fine, stepped on clutch..it went to floor and stayed there...couldn't get truck back into gear. Checked clutch fluid..was low filled up tried pumping...clutch built some pressure then back to floor. (BTW: was pouring out so couldn't tell if vehicle was leaking...
  4. T

lift gate cyclinder mount

same problem no fix...been carrying around a 2x4 for when needed but primarily using just the glass hatch to load and unload
  5. T

1997 Explorer. It suddenly died, but will start if I pour gasoline into the intake.

hmmm... You only need 3 things to start, fuel, air and spark...if it will run when you add gas then you've eliminated the other 2. When you first turn the key to acc. position (do not try and start) do you hear the fuel pump start humming? (make sure doors are closed and the radio and fan...
  6. T

saying thanks yet again.....clutch bleed

Love this forum. Just finished replacing clutch master cylinder. Great tip on forum about inverting master to bleed. Thanks to poster. Let me pay it forward for the next guy with a few insights into my repair. After removing plunger from master, master from pedal bracket, stuffing master...
  7. T

little diagnostic quiz...(non explorer)

this was new to me... but apparently not that uncommon once I did some research... (not my pump..but identical to my situation) Shaft broke inside the pump and continued to spin but the impeller did not and thus no power steering. Thanks for playing.
  8. T

fair enough: you crawl under and all lines look good and no leaks anywhere....ball joints, tie rods, and rack appear untouched, also belt rotates as it should...and after removing tension you determine ps pump pulley rotates freely hmmm,...so what to check next guys?
  9. T

Here's one for all you "mechanics" OK little over a month ago bad snowstorm, bad roads and wife's minivan ('97 grand voyager)ends up with front passenger tire off road in a ditch (almost as if by divine intervention the way she tells it.) Anyway, gets towed out and she drives it home...
  10. T

Someone i am begging you to help me!!!

huh..? I think I forgot how to read...cause I didn't get any of that.
  11. T

to be cont.... Yay me....also the guys are right a plugged cat is sign of bigger and better adventures in your future...here's a linkhttp://www.easterncatalytic.com/education/archive/why.php
  12. T

just a thought... Another possibility is the catalytic converter may be plugged. Easy check is get a vacuum gauge. and "T" it in to a vacuum line n the engine that pulls vacuum whenever the engine is running. slowly throttle up, and if the gauge jumps up then slowly drops off to nothing at the...
  13. T

97 X awd question

what good is a 2wd truck?
  14. T

How Not to replace the rear shocks on a 1998 XLT

great write-up! but....after 3rd or 4th time..even I would have found a bungee cord for that thing.
  15. T

No brakes!!!!

interesting.... Really need more details.... My guess is you also have a ruptured line somewhere. (Happens a lot in winter.) Check your fluid level and if low....fill it, then lie on the ground while a friend pumps the brakes...it most likely will start dripping somewhere. Brake fluid...
  16. T

stupid question

what's a boat?
  17. T

Is my wheel hub assembly going bad?

but is it the hubs? many people are still stuck on the whole hub idea when the "evidence" doesn't seem to point to that. If it only makes the noise in 4wd and not in 2wd then I would have to agree with it being transfer case related. Someone also suggested front driveshaft, but this rotates...
  18. T

Help!!!!

man, wish i had an answer for ya. I've never come across a situation with the upper hose squashing flat. Would seem to be a vacuum created somehow. So still must be air in the system. When the upper hose imploded what happened to the level in the overflow? That should be getting sucked in...
  19. T

I need help with my new explorer

must be something... when I picked up me Ex a few years back I also had to replace the thermostat within the first week... Welcome to the forum, lots of helpful info here. These trucks are great but do require some "tweaking" periodically. Stick around and you'll learn alot. This forum...
  20. T

1997 sport liftgate glass

thanks guys... Done! Had to be one of the easiest jobs. Just slightly more complicated than installing new wipers. Get this, when I got to the junkyard there was an entire liftgate with glass off a '95 already removed and leaning up against some minivan parked next to the donor explorer...
  21. T

1997 sport liftgate glass

Need to replace the liftgate glass on my sport. Last night huge chunk of ice fell off the roof and managed to shatter and disintegrate the rear glass on the way down (rest of the truck was untouched). Going to junkyard this weekend but not sure how to R&R the glass. I figured I'll take all...
  22. T

What to do with '97 Explorer...

Nothing against any of the suggestions above, but first I want to ask what will you need it for? Daily driver, off-road 4x4 adventures, long distance travel, some kind of all purpose hybrid ??? How many miles do you average a year and why an explorer in the first place? How long do you plan...
  23. T

front washer not working

hey that was premature....no problem solved. I started this thread and problem continues for me. (Found a work-around it consist of an old windex bottle filled with windshield wiper fluid, me hanging my arm out the window and several curse words.) I've been busy tackling bigger drive train...
  24. T

HOw much $

really...? this has me thinking; who buys a 5 liter 2wd explorer?.... especially in Canada?
  25. T

Problem with the hood latch on my 2001 Explorer.

had same problem on my '97.... only two bolts hold the latch ...pull it out throw it in a vise add a bunch of PB and some elbow grease and get it moving again..then reinstall Good as new.
Back