Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

wife hit a damn deer! need part numbers

would love to just drop it off and go on with life......nut i dont trust the insurance guys for ****. i have had them want to deny claims or total vehicle out for stuff it shouldnt. ive combatted this by having my own set of prices and parts ive found and compare it to the repair shops. i...
  2. C

wife hit a damn deer! need part numbers

wife traveling home last night and hit a buck. what kills me is it was in a area to be expecting a deer to run out in front of you. what ever not that big a deal. i need part numbers for a 97 xlt. i need a grille and everything for it, grille emblem, drivers head and corner light assemblies...
  3. C

Cop lights

i purchased my wig-wag set up from galls also. i think the one for the front lights was $40-50 and the one for the rear lights(alternates the brake light and the reverse light) was $50. very easy to install. just tap into a switched power and then cut and splice. i installed mine in a grand...
  4. C

Belt tensioner broke!! help!!

yea.....it sure would have sucked to have to sleep over night on the beach:D steve
  5. C

How to Change Oil? :(

i dont even bother with putting it on with a filter socket. if you do though i would hold the ratchet right up close to the filter not at the end.....you would be suprised at how easy it turns holing it at the end and next thing you klnow it on way to tight. steve
  6. C

How to: 3rd row seating in a 1st & 2nd gen Explorer

great work so far. when you put the steel on the under side did you just use square plates at the mounting points or did you run a full lenght between the frame rails. im thinking if some one ran the full lenght they could weld it to the rails, possibly strengthen the set up. and with steel...
  7. C

How to Change Oil? :(

if your going to do this with a "warm" engine you might be ok just using your hands.....i mean like only ran for like 5 min or less. trust me that **** gets hot fast. i mean suff like the cat converter have burned my arms many times. i usually dont have a prob getting the filter off if i did...
  8. C

window lock switch question

is there a way to make the front passenger window separate from the lock out switch. my kids are big enough to hit the rear switch but im tired of my wife asking me to unlock the windows and then having to lock them again. i think it would be easier to modify than explaining why i pushed her...
  9. C

looking for computer relocate thread

i have seen a thread on here for relocating your pcm and still using your glove box. unfortunately i cant find it again. this would be for a genII ex. any pointing in the right direction would be great. i maight as well ask for any water proofing water crossing thread as well. im looking to...
  10. C

Child Lock Windows

does the sport trac have more room in the door for the rear window to go fully into the door? i have never opened one up but there may be a stop type pin or some thing on the mechanism that can be removed.
  11. C

'98 XLT Stuck in 4WD...HELP!!!

im no expert here on the transfer cases as this is my first 4x4......i have a 97 xlt. if i remember right i think you can try to turn the swich on the transfer case manually. i remember this from doing a t-case swap. on the side will be a black round thing that sticks into the case. maybe...
  12. C

body mount location

im looking for all the body mount locations for a 3"bl, any help would be appreciated. oh and i did search but was unsucsessful. thanks, steve
  13. C

brown wire mod question

im pretty sure the way i read it is you can have 2 hi, 2 low, 4 auto, 4 hi, and 4 low. this i think depends on if you have the switch thats in the brown wire open or closed. but then again i could be wrong. steve
  14. C

rears, tires, and new sppedo gear?

yup, its 4.0........might have to do some scouting around. any one know what axles will cost(salvage of course)? and must both front and rear be changed?
  15. C

rears, tires, and new sppedo gear?

im looking to install a 3" bl, a tt, and of course some bigger tires. i have a 97 xlt with ale code d4 which as i read is a limited slip with 3.73 gear set, correct? my quetion is should i try to find a diferent axle with 4.10. i only do mild wheeling (think the rock piles in mall parking...
  16. C

So I was driving today and my "Check Engine" light randomly came on...

hahhaaha..............that same thing happened to my wife once! that was going to be my guess if everything drove ok. my wife got gas didnt tighten and drove and freaked out calling me at work. i couldnt find a prob so i took to a-zone. i felt stupid but relieved at same time
  17. C

courtesy/puddle led questions

im looking to add some white leds to the underside of my truck and have a few questions. i would like to wire them in so when my doors open or i use the unlock button they come on. im sure i can figure that part out. i wold like them wired into the timer that shuts off the over head this is...
  18. C

what is this thing?

i have a 97 4dr 4x4 expl. 4.0 sohc and cant figure out what this little rubber covered push switch is. sorry cant post a pick. its on the pass side right in front of the washer and coolant reservoirs. it doesnt seem to turn on a light or stop the ignition for a safety like dervice or any thing...
  19. C

When The Speedometer Acts Up -- The Tranny gets stoned!

there are a few things that i know that make this happen most likely your vehicle speed sensor or the little gears at the end of the transfer case. when mine did this it was the gears that turn the gears on the speed sensor. if you pull the sensor and look at the teeth of the gears and they...
  20. C

1997 Explorer jerks & clunks at cruising speed

i am very interested in this. i have the exact same truck and i had this type of thing happen to me. in my case it was something in the transfer case. some thing in there was causing the front axle to engage and disengage in an instant. at first it felt like i ran over a crack in the road or...
  21. C

winch

here is some of the figures i found interesting: remember your truck probably weighs around 4,000 lbs LW = loaded weight Surface resistance A pull of 1/10 LW will cause a free wheeling truck to move on a hard, level surface. A pull of 1/3 LW will cause a free wheeling truck to move on...
  22. C

winch

this is a good article to read for some winch tips. i read it and found alot of things i didnt even think of. check it out it may help you in determining whic winch to get.....for example are you going to be using it to pull up a grade, in deep mud or snow, or what ever. obviously a stuck rig...
  23. C

more GOOD lift questions

i have a 97 explorer xlt completly stock except fot the airlift air springs i put in about a month ago and i love them. they improve the ride tremendously. i am looking to raise my truck to put atleast 31" or 32" tires on it. my wife is only 5' tall so i cant go huge and i dont want to...
  24. C

97 Explorer front drive shaft

this seems to be pretty common i broke several on mine before it came out...unfortunately for decided to use torx bits and still used thread locker stuff on it. i would have several of the sizes you needed trust me its a ***** when they break and you got to run to get them replaced under...
  25. C

Installing a sub in the rear

its easy....on my 97 xlt i had to remove the 3 plastic round plugs at the bottom of rear window and the ones around the top or rear window. if you carefully move the carpet from around the right rear tire hump there are 2 little phillips screws take them out. also use a larg torx bit to get...
Back