Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Bone Stock 1/4mile times

I came across this video the other day posted by a tuner who ran a couple of baseline vs custom tune runs. He got a 12.73 @ 108 mph out of it at the strip with a little dyno tuning.
  2. 9

Deerfield Precision Braided SS Brake Lines

I installed a set of the WRXtra SS brake lines on my 96 Sport this weekend. http://www.deerfieldprecision.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=89 Install went amazingly smooth. Not one fitment issue. The connectors and brackets all lined up and fit like OEM. I didn't use their copper banjo bolt washers...
  3. 9

Ready to install new valve body... but....

Well, after doing hours of googling, I found this ATRA tech bulletin which answers some of my questions.
  4. 9

I called and asked for an explanation. They say they have sold hundreds of 5R55E vb's to 4R55E owners and never had any problems. I'm still wary about installing it until I get more confirmation from some of the transmission gurus (BrooklynBay or Glacier991) on this forum or anyone who has...
  5. 9

Will a 5R55E valve body work properly without issues in a 4R55E transmission? I just purchased a new rebuilt valve body for my 1996 4.0 ohv 2wd Explorer Sport from one of the vendors recommended in this forum. I received a 5R55E valve body which the vendor insists will work nicely in my 4R55E...
  6. 9

Anyone know where to get this repaired or how to repair it?

Congrats on getting your beloved Explorer back on the road without breaking the bank. I'm curious since you didn't use any 'professional' repair shops in the rebuilding process and did a lot of work yourself, will you have any problems in getting the new salvage title issued? Pennsylvania...
  7. 9

98 Explorer v6 - v8 swap

All you need to know right here..... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174211
  8. 9

97 Explorer Oxygen Sensor Replacement---HOW TO??

Why didn't you fix the burned wires and fuse first? That's likely the source of the check engine light.
  9. 9

A true WTF moment this morning.

Sounds like an electrical issue. Are all your battery cables tight? (starter and frame ground connections too) Is your battery in good shape? I once had a battery post that completely fell off from internal corrosion. From the outside, it looked fine.
  10. 9

Rearended

I'm curious too. The Blue Book value of a 2000 Explorer is way less than the labor charges to straighten a bent frame and replace bumpers and rear suspension. I have always felt that if my truck needed frame work, it would never drive the same again.
  11. 9

Peeling paint

The roof on my 96' looks the same way. I went to a friend's body shop to get an estimate for repainting the roof. He told me the job was going to be very labor intensive. To refinish it correctly, ALL of the original paint had to be removed by sanding down to the base metal. If any of the old...
  12. 9

no factory keyless entry

Read this thread.... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192268&highlight=rap+module+replacement
  13. 9

Adding a aux input to factory stereo

I just came back from radio shack. Got the 2.5 to 3.5 mm adapter. The modualtordoes not appear to work through my ipod. No sound through my car radio when I plug it into the ipod. I guess this modulator only works with satellite radios.
  14. 9

Adding a aux input to factory stereo

I have one of those modulators and it works very well with my portable Sirius car dock. But the stereo plug sub-miniature, about half the size of a normal headphone output jack like the one on my ipod. How do you get it to fit?
  15. 9

Speedo works but odometer doesn't? I fixed mine..

You can buy high quality replacements from here.....http://www.speedometergears.com/ford-odometer-gears They will probably outlast your Explorer.
  16. 9

96 explorer questions

The odometer worm gear is probably stripped out. That's what happened to my 96' a couple of years ago. Here's a thread about it.....http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247368&highlight=odometer+gear Fairly common issue on Ford odometers. The gear is plastic and gets brittle with...
  17. 9

Curiosity: Cash for clunkers undo

I wouldn't rebuild it. You can never know if all the silicate has been completely washed out of all the oil passages and nooks and crannies in the motor. If the slightest trace is left behind, the motor will be worn out before it's even broken in. Buy an entire new engine and sleep well at night.
  18. 9

Stock Keyless (remote) Entry

My 96 Explorer didn't come with keyless entry either. I checked with a Ford tech friend about just plugging in a factory keyless system. He told me if it wasn't installed at the factory, you're SOL because most of the required modules and harnesses aren't installed in the vehicle. It would be a...
  19. 9

tires moving after lower balljoint replacement

It's very common. It's not related to any leakage problems. It happened to me once before when I turned the wheels lock to lock by hand while I had my 96' jacked up. The steering shuddered for about 10 miles or so, then everything returned to normal. Now I'm careful to not mess with the wheels...
  20. 9

Underdrive Water pump Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC

Just came across this e-pump during a google search... http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=747,587_3529&action=product I don't know anything about them but they look promising. Price isn't too bad either......
  21. 9

Underdrive Water pump Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC

If Al's still interested, he might want to consider trying one of these water pumps.: http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ElectPump Altough not cheap, these are the absolute best electric water pumps available IMHO. They simply mount inline onto the...
  22. 9

Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC

My 12 year old transmission has no leaks whatsoever and I'm not using any power steering fluid in it. :p:
  23. 9

Power Steering Fluid Flush: 4.0 SOHC

Don't automatic transmissions have seals made out of the same materials as those used in power steering systems? (example...front pump seal) Why don't automatic transmissions experience "seal leaks" caused from using ATF?
  24. 9

Camshaft Posistion Sensor Sqeak

I just replaced mine a few months ago. It's the shaft that makes the squeak. But it would be wise to replace the sensor too while you're at it. You have to remove the entire intake manifold and valve covers to get to it. I wouldn't want to have do it all over again in a couple of months if...
  25. 9

Body Roll

It's common for Explorers of these years to have lots of body roll. Insufficient (small diameter) sway bars are the main problem. Shocks help a little, but stiffer sway bars combined with shocks make a HUGE handling improvement. I bought sway bars and shocks from this place: Explorer Express My...
Back