Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

2002 4.0 4WD, sell or keep, 185k miles, what would you do?

Thats a good point, but I think this vehicle has been in 4WD one time for about 30 mins last winter when it iced up down here on the Gulf Coast. Guess what, it worked !! I was surprised. I assume it has 90 wt in it, Rear end has Trans fluid, of course it whines. But not to bad. Guess I'll...
  2. L

I'm not touching the tranny fluid, I have been advised that could cause carbon to break loose on the inside and stop up valves/passages. (since it has never been changed) Besides, that does not change the fluid in the torque converter, so its more like diluting the old fluid. I'll just drive...
  3. L

How many miles on your 4.0 SOHC?

2002, 4.0, 4wd, 185K and counting.....does not use oil.
  4. L

This vehicle has been in the family for 10 yrs, regular oil changes, trans never serviced, no major problems. I don't trust dealerships to do anything right is the reason for never servicing trans, and I was right as can be seen by miles. (one ele problem I cussed ford for), relay that...
  5. L

2003, battery died, replaced, now p/w and radio don't work?

Found the common point for P/W and radio,, its called the Accessory Delay Relay, and it located, according to the owner manual, ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE INSIDE FUSE PANEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (see your dealer for service on this box) I can barely get to the fuse's stuck under the...
  6. L

But it starts and runs just fine, does not show low charge on amp meter and I measure 14vdc at the battery with the engine running. How could an alternator cause the radio to not work? Its not like it causes a large amp draw. But I will put the charger on it overnite to see what its...
  7. L

Facts: Manf date 10/02 (second generation??) 7 days ago, 4.5 yr old Battery died at work, jumped and drove home. (had been working fine) Due to age of battery, just bought and installed a new one, trickle charged for 5 hrs. All good several days. 2 days ago, radio, cd, and all power windows...
  8. L

What is the last year produced with straight R/axle?

Thank for the quick replys. I did not know the newer sport tracks had solid R/A's. I will look that route in 2wd. Thanks again.
  9. L

What is the last year produced with straight R/axle?

I like the Explorer, I want to keep it, but I keep having rear end problems with this corvet rear end. I don't want to worry with CV joints, etc. What was the last year produced using a normal truck rear end? I'm going to sell my 2002 and find an older model.
  10. L

02 rear axle seal problems

ebay warning Just a warning, if you try to get the rear end mentioned down in this thread from ebay, DON'T, I did and the damn thing looked new, but roars worse than the old one. I'm screwed!
  11. L

Had rear end changed, $240 at Ford dealer.

correct, to change whole chunk.
  12. L

Tip on Getting a stuck Rotor off

I used a torch to heat the face of the rotor around the the lugs. Not glowing red of course, just to hot to touch. Tapped it with a hammer, and fell loose. For those that don't know, if first time, rotor will have the factory "keepers" around each lug and these must be removed before trying to...
  13. L

Had rear end changed, $240 at Ford dealer.

I thought the price was good. I supplied the new differential/oil, and they swapped it out. (Whine and leaking seal) BUT, they were suppose to check for recalls, they said they did and did'nt. WHY can't a dealer do anything right! There is still the rear door recall that takes a day to do...
  14. L

Can a shop screw up turning front rotors?

problem found Answer, yes they can, see first post edited.
  15. L

edit out,, accidental multi post
  16. L

Soft rotors cause quicker wearing, but not warping. Uneven wear does. Thats why one turns the rotors to make them true. (did a search, did not find much other than newer rotors wear quickly) Knew that. These were within spec of min thickness. My main question is can a rotor be turned wrong? If...
  17. L

edit out, accidental multi post
  18. L

They were pulsing slightly, thats why had the rotors turned. I changed the pad while I was doing it. I did the work. Its really bad now. I will pull them off tomorrow to see what I can see.
  19. L

Can a shop screw up turning front rotors? (problem found) I just replaced my front brake pads on my 2003 Xplor, had the rotors turned and now brake pedal pulsing badly. I did the work. I've done this many times on other vehicles and never had a problem. Any thoughts before I pull the wheels...
  20. L

5r55w fluid change (slow drain?)

OK, I have been reading for an hour through stickies and archives, but can't find what I'm looking for. I noticed on one great post with pics (sorry, lost link) where a guy was changing a "pack" after dropping the pan. He stated that after draining out 4 qts, it sat overnite and he got another...
  21. L

ABS Light and Cruise Control Question

To PiperRonnie, be advised that the top of the rear end is very dirty and needs to be blown off before you remove the old sensor. You could dump dirt into it. Also, I tried just changing the rear speed sensor and it helped, but did not solve the problem. The other two items did fix it...
  22. L

ABS Light and Cruise Control Question

2003, my cruise was not working, and ABS light was on sometimes. I replace rear speed sensor, changed fluid in noisy rear end and put a pin through the wires going to the master cly switch to bypass it. Cruise now works, abs light out and stepping on the break turns off the cruise. What...
  23. L

Famous rear differential noise

Forgot add, this is a 2003.
Back