Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Battery problem at Ford

The other day I was at Ford for an oil change. They checked the battery and fluids and everything. On the report it said "Battery tests OK at this time". In the parking lot my car started fine, then I drove to the cell phone store and then to the post office. Then my car didn't start<three miles...
  2. A

Review of console repair kit

The vinal that was sent to me is the same thickness that Ford uses. David Larson
  3. A

Review of console repair kit

Please bear with me, this is my first review of a product and I am not trying to give too much away about the instillation due to the vendor of this product having it password protected on his server only allowing access to people who purchase the product. I ordered the console repair...
  4. A

Ashtray screw size

Hello, I removed my ashtray to put switches in a number of years ago and I now want to replace it. I need to reattach the ashtray and lid back into the center console. Could somone please post the length, with and thread dimentions for me so I can get new bolts/screws at the hardware store? Any...
  5. A

Metal work - where to have it done

About two years ago I put a 3" body lift on my 1996 Expplorer. I have not had my Westin brush guard on since then. Its about time to wipe the dust off and attach it. The only problem is that it will sit about 3" too low. I need to get custom mounting brackets made. I was wondeirng if anyone knew...
  6. A

Extra Gas Tank Install

I want two tanks becasue I take quite a few long road trips and I hate stopping for gas. David Larson
  7. A

Extra Gas Tank Install

Hello, I did a search. I know that you can't find an extra gas tank for 2nd Gen explorers anymore. Thats not a problem. I have friends who can fabricate one. I just just wondering how I would go about installing it. I can figure out how to mount it where my spare tire currently is. What I am...
  8. A

High Speed Shaking and Rattling

I had the same problem. For me it is a bearing in my trandfer case that is about to go. David Larson
  9. A

Time to change out U-Joints. Question.

I would do them myself, but i don't have the time and I have to have them done for a 500 mile trip to and from Ohio this weekend. David Larson
  10. A

Time to change out U-Joints. Question.

I need to get the universal joints on my rear axle replaced. I am getting the tell tale sign of the ticking when accelerating at low speeds. What I would like to know is if somone who has the book that says how much time it should take to replace them to let me know that time so I know if the...
  11. A

truck sputtering and stalling at idle

Anyone else have any info on what may be happening?
  12. A

Engine rebuild question

They are both OHV, but the engine from the 93 is a diffrent model. It has like one less bolt for the engine mount or somthing like that. I just want to make sure that it will work.
  13. A

Engine rebuild question

Engine Swqp question. I have gotten ahold of a 93 explorer and I was wondering if the enging form it would bolt right into my 1996 explorer? My engine is starting to go on its way out, it would be alot easier for me to rebuild the one from the 93 and just install it in a day in my truck...
  14. A

I also noticed that when I am driving and at like 2500 RPM and at a good speed, I let off the accelerator, and for a few seconds it goes down to 400 to 500RPM. David Larson
  15. A

This morning when idling I was watching the gaugge and it was jumping from 1000RPM to 2500RPM. back and forth. If this helps anyone I would appreciate it. This started when I was driving from Ohio to Niagara Falls. I just had the fuel filter replaces. and last summer, I cleaned the MAF, IAC, and...
  16. A

Come on guys, please help me.
  17. A

I was wondering if you guys could help me diagnose a problem. My truck has 186,000 miles on it. It is a 1996 explorer with the 4.0 liter v6 engine. Just recently when I have been at idle, the RPM's will go between 800 and 900, the truck will shake <kind of pulse> and it is running rough. The...
  18. A

Need help with GPS for explorer

I have the Radio Shack Digitaveler for the handheld. I need to make it work with my laptop now with a serial connector. What I need is the wiring diagram for the RJ11 to serial so I can make the adapter. I know that a picture exists of how to do this, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would...
  19. A

Truck vibrating

I think I remember the tire I dropped, but I don't want to replace it with my spare, because my current tires are 32" and my spare is the stock 30" tire. My truck would look kinda funny leaning to one side, and if for so,me reason it kicked into 4 wheel drive, I don't want to blow the transfer...
  20. A

Truck vibrating

I forgot to mention that. I thoguth it was the lugnuts at first, so I parked my trunk and tightened them all some more, but it wasn't them and the truck still shakes. David Larson
  21. A

Truck vibrating

I would like to know what all of you think before I take my truck in. I have a 1996 explorer XLT. Recently, my truck has started shaking when I get up around 55MPH and higher. The strange thing is that it doesn't always shake, and somtimes it shakes alot. I recently had my transmission replaced...
  22. A

Is DPFE and EGR Valve Position sensors the same?

Awsome. Thankyou, now I can go buy it and replace it. David Larson
  23. A

Great, now I am in the same place as before. To make it clear, Does anyone know the part number for the DPFE sensor and the EGR Valve Position sensor on a 1996 Explorer 4.0? David Larson
  24. A

I was wondering if the DPFE sensor and the EGR Valve Position Sensor are the same sensor with different names. I did a search and I saw that it was inferred, but I could not find anything conclusive. I need to replace the DPFE sensor on my truck, but no place I have gone has DPFE listed, they...
  25. A

How many O2 sensors on 1996?

I go pheasant huntong on Bridgeport Hydraulics land in Redding. maybe its the same place you go. If it is, please don't tear up any bushes or piles of stuff. Also stay out of there in the fall and winter. Oh yea one last thing. The land got sold to the state, so if your caught trespassing you...
Back