Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

Help with oil leak

Long story short had the V6 in the 03 X replaced after timing chain failure about 3 years ago. I have never been happy with the replacement but that is a story for another day. Been noticing the driveway starting to get stained so I have been trying to track the leak. One other time the leak...
  2. 0

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Also I am seeing that MOOG has different designs, one with splines and one without. I read something about 3 different diameters of them as well. mrau92me, I am not doubting you in any way here so please do not take it as such. While the plants that make these parts do not have magic and...
  3. 0

I know that the arm does not need to come out. My problem, or better yet concerne is the possibility of the new balljoint popping out of the top of the arm later on down the road. See what I bolded in your above post. When the suspension is loaded up you probably have 3,000 lbs trying to push...
  4. 0

I need to do both upper ball joints on my 03. Is swapping just the ball joint a realistic fix or is this hey it works so people keep doing it. My main worry is that if the whole arm is supposed to be switched obviously Ford did that for a reason. Even though this may work what are the chances of...
  5. 0

03 Exp Steering shaft and throttle cable help

2003 Explorer 2wd Auto 4.0FFV I noticed that at the bottom end of the steering shaft near where it connects to the rack there is a boot and mine is torn. I think it is what they call the steering rack boot and I know MOOG makes a replacement. My question is do I just pack it with grease when...
  6. 0

Vacume leak @ Pulsation Damper

Over the weekend I changed the oil on the 03 4.0. After I got the oil change done I started it up to let it run a bit and noticed a hiss sound which I later tracked down to a vacume hose that goes onto the Fuel Pulsation Damper. Naturally it has fittings on it that the auto parts stores do not...
  7. 0

Can the CEL be permanantly turned off???

Well here is where I stand, the repair while simple as it may be is not going to be done by me. I paid good money to have a re-manufactured engine with a 3yr/100k warranty on it, why should I have to get my hands dirty and spend my money to buy parts that I already paid for once? Before they...
  8. 0

Anyone with access to Alldata?

I realize the DPFE, which looking under the hood does look new however it was replaced at the end of Jan. when the shop put the new motor in so in theory they really could have just wipped it off to clean it up and the one they put in 6 months ago would look like they just replaced it. I am...
  9. 0

Hey tower thanks for the help. I hate to be a bother but if I could ask one more favor of you. Not sure if you happened to see this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324007 where my mechanic covered the CEL but I was wondering if you could tell me what alldata...
  10. 0

Well we did not drive the truck at all over the weekend, at the most just moved it around the driveway doing other work to it(removed broken re-circ door) and the light did not come on all weekend. I was begining to think that the issue was fixed and they put the tape on there to prevent me from...
  11. 0

I do not plan on cashing the check. I feel that his reaction and quick agreement to send a check to me is as good as an admission of guilt. After looking around it seems as though he violated atleast 1 US code as it relates to tampering with emissions systems on vehicles and or altering the...
  12. 0

Anyone Taken Delivery or Seen a MY2012?

I have seen atleast 2 on the streets around the New Orleans, La area. I am going over to the Ford dealer this evening to pick up a part, if I have time I will see if I see any on the lot. ETA: By 2012 MY I assume you are refering to the new body style correct?
  13. 0

Well from the outset I figured this could turn into some form of legal action. I have photos documenting everything. I took a picture of the screw in the cupholder there the "tech" forgot it, a picture of the cluster in HEC mode during the bulb test that clearly shows the CEL not lit up. I also...
  14. 0

Well figured I would give a little update here. Got the cluster out last night to swap the CEL bulb out with one of the 4x4 bulbs that I know were good beacause they lit up during the HEC bulb test. Once I had access to the backside of the cluster I could not for the life of me remember which...
  15. 0

Yeah but the bulbs that light the gauges have been burning alot longer than the CEL and they are still going. I have also been having the door ajar problem which keeps that light lit and it is still burning just fine. If the light was out and the code did not show up when I put my scan tool...
  16. 0

The bulb does not come on at ACC or for a few seconds when you start the truck, nor does it come on when you get the cluster into test mode. Pretty much the bulb will not light up for anything. I thought about the bulb burning out but honestly I think it is a bit too much of a coincidence...
  17. 0

Long story short, around the begining of the year the timming chains in my 03 4.0 let loose. Not having the time to deal with it I paid a mechanic to put a new engine in the X. About a day after I picked the truck up the CEL came on. The code was 0401 Insufficient EGR flow. I called the...
  18. 0

so I gues I should be looking at somewhere in the 5 to 6.5 hour range correct. I am assuming that this takes into account the rear axle being in the truck correct?
  19. 0

The rear end on my 03 X is starting to howl pretty good. Currently I have the 3.55 open diff but I have a FRPP trac loc sitting around so I figured I would get a new set of 3.55's and use the trac loc I already have to re-build it. Before I start calling around it would be nice to know how many...
  20. 0

Door AJAR Switch Replacement on 2002XLT

Quick question. My 03 X is having the same issue. I can go months without it showing up but after a good rain it always pops up. Can I disconnect the wires going to the sensor to temporarily stop the issue until I can get around to going to Ford to get the new part? Also when you guys talk...
  21. 0

Anyone ever removed and replaced their 4.0

I am in the process of having the engine replcaed in my 03. The mechanic is trying to charge me an additional $140.00 to re-charge the AC system. I have never pulled a 4.0 but I know when I pulled my 4.6 out of my Mustang I was able to move the compressor to the side so that I did not have to...
  22. 0

How To: Install F150 Ford Emblem Backup Camera in Sport Trac

I would be interested to see what kind of view you get from that once its hooked up. Might just be the pictures but it looks like you will be seeing more of the ground than what is acctually behind you. Probably great for hooking up a trailer but I want to see how far behind the car you would be...
  23. 0

Disable Steering wheel Lock

I have been contemplating doing this to my Mach for a while now. I did not want to pull the column apart to remove the lock or try anything that would have ever have the slightest possibility of the wheel locking while driving. Here is what I was considering. My plan was to take a spare key and...
  24. 0

Very expensive balancer bolt

They are TTY bolts so while you could take them out and re-use them seeing as they are designed to stretch upon the initial tq sequence no matter what the wrench tells you it will never be torqued to spec again. That and you stand a pretty good chance of snapping the bolt off which would cost...
  25. 0

P/N for side emblem

I was wondering if anyone knew a P/N for the "Explorer" emblem off of the 02/04 doors, the one that is just the letters not the big block with Explorer written in it. I think I would like to add them to my 03 but have been having a hard time finding them. Everything I see on the bay says its...
Back