Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

I changed my own brakes and rotors! But some questions...

Since I didnt take a rag to the rotors after spraying them, I'm thinking there is a bit of residue oil still laying on there. If that's the case, I'm hoping that will all burn off after the first couple of runs in the car. If it continues to smoke, I'll try what you said and clean them...
  2. 9

Since I didnt take a rag to the rotors after spraying them, I'm thinking there is a bit of residue oil still laying on there. If that's the case, I'm hoping that will all burn off after the first couple of runs in the car. If it continues to smoke, I'll try what you said and clean them...
  3. 9

OK, I spoke too soon and have another question :) ... I drove around for a bit today and just got back. I noticed a greasy smell which I expected fo the first few times out, but I also noticed a bit of smoke coming from the brakes after parking. I used brake cleaner on the rotors when...
  4. 9

Thanks guys. I did a lot of research on these boards (as mypos mounty knows from the rotors thread :)) and couldn't have gathered the nerve to do this without everyone's help in the first place. And thanks for the suggestions, mypos. I should've mentioned I have after-market wheels on my...
  5. 9

With the help of my buddy who's done them before, I changed my brakes last night in my '02 Eddi Bauer for the first time. I just got tired of the ridiculous shop prices for what I've heard was a relatively beginner's job. It wasn't all that difficult, but I had some problems putting the new...
  6. 9

Rotors

Again, some great info for me to go on here. Another question if I may... If I go with some premium rotors/pads in the front, do I need to go as high quality for the rear?
  7. 9

Rotors

You mentioned NAPA before. I found these two and really don't know the difference between them. The specs are virtually the same with the only difference being the "Maximum Lateral Runout" = .002 for the premium one compared to .004 in the ultra premium. The warranty is lifetime for the ultra as...
  8. 9

Rotors

Well that's good to hear before buying them. There's a NAPA right around the corner from my work too. There's also a bunch on ebay, but I'm not sure about the quality. Any experience with the following?... Brake Motive...
  9. 9

Rotors

Thanks for the quick response Curtis! And it's good to know AZ will rent the C-clamp for free. I'll make sure to ask. I think I'm going with the ceramic pads with the basic rotor. Like I said, I'm not doing any crazy driving so I don't see why these won't last as long as I have the truck.
  10. 9

Rotors

Hey guys, I'm bringing this thread back b/c I have some questions pertaining to the topic at hand and didn't want to start ANOTHER brake/rotor thread... I'm looking to replace mine on my own for the first time with the help of a friend who's done it before. I'm in the process of buying rotors...
  11. 9

2002 Explorer Transmission Problem..Need Help

If it can drive around for a month or so as is, then maybe think about getting an extended warranty? They tend to kick in around 30 days or 1000 miles after purchase.
  12. 9

To anyone with extended warranties...

Based on my brief conversation with the dealership, I was able to purchase whatever warranty was available for my car. The prices differ based on the vehicle for obvious reasons, but it's definitely an option. The kicker is that you have to go to them for all repairs you want covered, but if...
  13. 9

I'm experiencing the tranny leak repair as we speak. I'm just praying the torque converter isn't damaged, limiting my despair just a bit. I wish I pondered a warranty about a month ago.
  14. 9

Thanks for the info M. Another question...when you got your warranty, did you still have to go tr hrough a dealer to get it, or could you call up an independant company and deal with them directly?
  15. 9

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty through Ford for my 2002 EB. A couple questions regarding buying a warranty since this is the first time I'm considering an extended... 1. Can I only go through Ford for one of these? 2. I have 20" wheels. Ford told me, not to...
  16. 9

Bearings and 20"+ rims

West Philly...right around Overbrook if you're familiar with that area.
  17. 9

Bearings and 20"+ rims

Hye everyone, I looked at a bunch of threads around wheel bearings and the need to replace them (I have a 2002 EB Explorer V8, 59xxx miles), but I never ran into a bearing problem until I put my 20s on this summer. The tires are the standard 275/45/20, and everything seemed ok until my ABS...
  18. 9

I'm being followed by jets, everywhere I go

Shrooms are a powerful drug, huh? :)
  19. 9

ABS Light and new brakes

I ended up taking the truck back to the guys who did my brakes...and it's not great news. I need a new wheel hub assembly, an easy couple hundred dollars. I have been hearing a loud winding noise for a little so I should've checked on it before, but the hub assembly is bad, which throws off...
  20. 9

ABS Light and new brakes

Well it didn't come on today, so maybe something just jarred loose? I have no idea. I'll have it scanned next time it shows up then take it from there...maybe reposting in this thread. Thanks!
  21. 9

ABS Light and new brakes

Hey everyone...I did a search and found some information but nothing specifically related to my issue so I figured I'd give a new thread a shot... I just got all 4 brakes and rototrs replaced over the weekend. I also had my e-brake repaired since it pretty much crumbled apart like most 2002's...
  22. 9

275/55/20s - Will they rub??

Hey everyone, I did a search on this and the only thing that came up was something a few years back but not very many replies... I have an '02 Eddie Bauer and want some 20's. I've done extensive research as far as which tire size to get, and the 275/45/20 seems to be the most popular on this...
  23. 9

Can 305/50/20s fit on a 2002 Eddie Bauer?

Basically what the thread title says... Is there any way to check other than literally rolling the tires next to the truck (which I did) and eyeballing it up? The reason I'm asking is b/c I have a set of 20s with these tires for a good price but I want to cover all my bases first. Thanks...
  24. 9

Bass Blocker/Speaker Questions

OK, the speakers are in, but I don't think my HU is accurately controlling the High Pass Filters for the speakers :( From what I can hear, it doesn't sound as if the speakers are louder than the stock ones at all. If anything, they crackle a little more. I remember something in another thread...
  25. 9

Bass Blocker/Speaker Questions

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm doing my speakers today and I guess I'll play around with the settings to see what sounds the best. I just wasn't sure if the HPF should've been lower or higher. Lots of good info here though. Thanks again!!
Back