Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

obd2 code--how to repair

obd2 code The light comes back on after second start. When they hook up to the obd2 port at the inspection station, the history comes up and they will fail it. Also, they restart the car just to be sure you didn't clear the codes just before bringing it in. The inspection is statewide so no...
  2. D

obd2 code--how to repair

obd2 codes Well, I replaced the gas cap with a Dealer purchased unit and it didn't solve the problem. Any further thoughts on how to get rid of this code to get this car through emissions? I love the car but at 175k miles it's really become the family beater that I allow my teenage son to drive...
  3. D

obd2 code--how to repair

I replaced it a few years ago with a locking version. No need for a locking cap now that fuel is affordable. I'll invest in a new one.
  4. D

obd2 code--how to repair

Anyone had to deal with the error code 0453 for a 2003 4.0? Code reader identifies it as fuel tank high pressure sensor. Access is by dropping the fuel tank. Has anyone changed out this unit with success? I think cutting a hole in the floor would be the easiest way to go but I'm not certain my...
  5. D

coolant getting into valve cover?

thanks for clearing that up-- but I was hoping that was it--looked like replacing an intake on the 4.0 would have been a fairly easy DIY
  6. D

I checked the link you sent. Thanks. This could also be the reason for check engine light and other issues I've had. One question though, the threads I read were dealing with the 4.6. Is it the same for my 4.0?
  7. D

No oil in the cooling system that I can detect. I did notice, upon closer inspection, that there is a small external coolant leak at the rear of the thermostat mounting block. Coolant is being blown back between the heads by the fan and evaporating before dripping on to the ground. I can see...
  8. D

I have noticed that the coolant level has been dropping and there is a thick milky goo inside the filler neck and oil filler cap. Dipstick looks to have clean oil. No apparent external leaks and no smoke from tailpipe. I'm guessing head gasket or cracked head or block. There has been no...
  9. D

How many miles on original 3rd Gen Tranny?

133k--never touched--still shifts smoothly--knock on wood
  10. D

obd2 code--how to repair

My 03 xlt with 4.0 with 133k obd has triggered the code of po453--EVAP sensor switch/high. Does anyone have experience with this? My local emissions station has failed me and upon investigating this switch, I found that removal of the gas tank to get to it is necessary. Whooh, don't really want...
  11. D

02 explorer ticking when stopping.

It would be worth your time to pull the left rear rotor off and look at the emergency brake shoes--it sounds to me like that is where the noise is coming from
  12. D

How to: How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

High Order, Got some good chuckles on your experience with the front bearing. I replaced mine and discovered I'm not as young as I used to be. Those three hub bolts were a muther....I strained my out of shape forearm muscles turning those bears one little bit at a time with lots of colorful...
  13. D

transmission squeak

Thanks for the replies. The trans is original with no fluid or filter changes, so I will try a new filter. It shifts smoothly with no slipping and except for this occasional oozing sounding squeak only when shifting from reverse to drive, it functions well. I'm hoping to get another 50k out of...
  14. D

transmission squeak

Hey everyone, my 03 with 100k has just started making a soft slow squeaking sound when I shift from reverse into drive after backing out of my driveway.It seems to be coming from within the transmission. Is this the beginning of the end, or something easily repaired?
  15. D

At faster speeds the lining is rubbing continuouly--at slower speeds it is bouncing around inside the rotor causing the ticking sound. Pull the rear wheel on the side that is ticking, remove the caliper, remove the rotor, (the emergency brake shoes are hidden inside the rear rotors) most likely...
  16. D

RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix

It was the fix for my 03....cruise will not work if that switch is defective
  17. D

RE: ABS/Cruise Control problem. Might have a fix

Its a screw in switch mounted on the top of the brake master cylinder--only costs about $25 at the dealer--it's an easy do it yourself job.
  18. D

It is probably the ebrake shoe linings that have fallen off INSIDE the rear rotors--this happened to my 03 around 87,000 miles. It made the ticking sound you describe.
  19. D

Miles Per Gallon?????

A fresh set of spark plugs helped for my 4.0
  20. D

Miles Per Gallon?????

A fresh set of spark plugs helped for my 4.0
  21. D

Please Help me....Fron end squeaking and back clicking

Also, I sprayed lithium grease (comes in an aerosal can) into my front sway bar bushings to quiet the front end squeak over bumps--lasts longer than WD-40
  22. D

Please Help me....Fron end squeaking and back clicking

Now for the other easy one...your ebrake shoe lining has come off it's backing plate and is bouncing around inside your rear rotor and causes the clicking sound when moving slowly. Had this happen to my 03.
  23. D

P0455 code

03 4.0 check engine light just came on--read the generic code as P0455--EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)--anyone got a clue what to look for here?
  24. D

Clutch Pack replacement by other than the dealer?

What's the best source for instructions for doing it yourself?
  25. D

AC Problems

It sounds like the "max ac" fresh air intake door may have come off and fallen down onto the top of the blower motor. This happened to my 03. You would notice a significant reduction in air flow from the front dash vents because it is now blocking the flow from the fan, but it would still be cold.
Back