Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Can I cut an access panel to access fuel pump in 96

I agree... the only reason I can see for doing that is if you really can't get the truck up on jackstands (which everyone should have, especially for a 4,000+ lb truck) or you don't have the proper tools for dropping the tank (I have no idea what tools are needed)... but, seeing as you need some...
  2. P

After market theft avert removal

Best bet would be to follow the wires leading from the button and figure out where they go... if they go to a box, it'll likely be the alarm brain. If you're lucky, it'll be under the dashboard somewhere and fairly easy to get to, and will have markings on it telling you what it is. If you're...
  3. P

Took off the upper intake - 94 4.0L

Replacing the FPR is pretty easy... you could probably do it in about 15 minutes... But it's 15 minutes that will likely make a huge difference in performance. I just replaced my FPR and it seems to be running better than it was when I bought it 9 months ago...
  4. P

How to: Diagnosing Rough Idle - Suspect: IAC Valve

Old thread, but I figured I'd check to see if the problem was sorted... if so, maybe someone else can use this info... I think I may have had a similar problem in my truck... It was running rough, bogging under acceleration, not burning all the fuel, low idle, and black smoke coming out the...
  5. P

Took off the upper intake - 94 4.0L

This is probably somewhere in this section of the forums, but when you're cleaning the valves, what do you use? Can you use a spray-on carb cleaner or something of the like, or is there an actual way to do this? Also, $50 each for valve cover gaskets sounds a bit steep... I went to Lordco this...
  6. P

How to: $32 Spring Over Axle Conversion - SOA

I was considering doing this and then getting a Superrunner (or something similar) 5.5" lift for the front, with all new brake lines all around... I priced a full 5.5" lift from a local offroad shop up here, and they wanted about $1500 CAD for the whole thing - lift, brake lines, and steering...
  7. P

mods

I'd love to get front leaf springs... if I ever get around to doing a SAS, that's what I'm going with...
  8. P

HELP Dead Ex...

Alright I checked the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, and I'm getting about 10 ohms resistance across the terminal, like the Hayne's suggests, but only about 2 volts across the wires with the ignition on, engine off... Hayne's says 10.5 to 12.5 volts... I suppose that means that the IAC is good...
  9. P

mods

I remember reading the rule of thumb about car mods somewhere... Fast, cheap, reliable: Pick two. Same applies here... take your time and do it right. I'm trying to work on mine too, but I'm still trying to get it in decent running condition before I put too much money into it.
  10. P

Things I learned from my 4.0 ohv engine rebuild

Well, it certainly is bright... not my style, but that's a clean engine. Looks good.
  11. P

fender flares

I've heard that the 2nd Gen flares work really well, both front and back... But, if you're going to put them on a 4 door, you've gotta get the ones from a 4-door...
  12. P

What to do... BII - Explorer....

Go with the Ex... I'd parked on the street the other day, and as I was walking back to the truck I noticed a Cherokee next to it... I didn't realize until then how big the Explorer actually is. It's a good couple inches taller and a few inches longer than a Cherokee, or at least that's what it...
  13. P

HELP Dead Ex...

Six spark plugs: $16. Vacuum hose cap: $4. Fuel Pressure Regulator: $116. Having a running truck: Priceless Thanks for the help with the FPR... I never would have figured it out myself... however, it's still running a little rough. The idle seems a bit low (about 6/700 RPM) and there is a lot...
  14. P

List your Explorer and the NOISES it makes!

Ticking (I'm suspecting bad lifters) that increases in frequency as RPM's increase, a constant power steering pump whine, squeaky door hinges, and rattling rear door panels when I run too much bass through my speakers... If you can ignore the P/S whine, it has a great exhaust tone... I <3...
  15. P

HELP Dead Ex...

Alright, I pulled all the plugs to check them... they were all black. A couple were in slightly better shape, but they were definately dead. I replaced them with new ones, and I've checked to see if they're all getting spark... as far as I can tell, they are. I've also replaced the cap on the...
  16. P

HELP Dead Ex...

Alright, I never thought I'd have to make one of these threads, but here I am... My truck has been running a little rough the past couple weeks. It wasn't getting all the power it used to, but it was only a subtle difference. Two weekends ago, I was driving up a slight incline when I noticed...
  17. P

Recommended Off-Roading Mods

Mmm, I don't have much (read: any) experiance with lockers, but judging by Bloodbane's last post, I do somewhat agree... But, I suppose it ultimately depends on what kind of off-roading you plan on doing. If you're doing a lot of mud/dirt/fairly level runs without any major rocks/roots/dips...
  18. P

Can I replace conventional with synthetic

I switched over from the dino oil to full synthetic (Royal Purple) a few months ago, back in about Feb or so. I'd just bought the car in December, and the PO had done maintenance on it a week prior, so I didn't see the need to replace the fluids. Now, because I drive so much, I can't afford to...
  19. P

How do i take a driverside door panel off my 1994 Explorer?? Please Help

When I was removing mine I just yanked... hard... it popped off fairly well, and I didn't break any clips... just make sure you've undone all the screws... I don't know about the XLT, but some of them can be sneaky...
  20. P

Mass Air Flow swap

Original housing: 55mm 5.0 housing: 70mm You decide... ;)
  21. P

explorer vs. nissan truck

Do it! Videotape it as well! And then post it up... it'll be scientific... ^_^
  22. P

how accurate is a speedometer

Just to get this straight, all that needs to be done to get the speedo to the proper speed is to replace the gear for the speedo cable? Also... maybe I'm a complete idiot here, but it's the differential that affects the gearing, correct? Would the shop that sells the differential/locker/etc sell...
  23. P

Help?

A toggle would work, but ideally you should either track down the original wire, or run a wire down to your main ignition wire and splice into that. That's also good if you've got an alarm with a stealth install... it'll confuse people trying to cut the power to the alarm. Other than that...
  24. P

Deleted

Ah, I see, I didn't realize that the MAF had to be a certain distance from the TB... Looks pretty good though. Bit outrageous for me, but looks like you put some work into it.
  25. P

Deleted

Now that is an intake... Although, wouldn't it be better to run a 90 from the TB, slant it up, and then another 90 to run the MAF under the front of the intake and the K&N facing the back? That would eliminate about... a foot and a half of piping, plus about 2 bends...
Back