Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

A4LD drops out of gear?

Does it feel like it's gone into neutral ????? Does it "grab" a gear after slowing down a bit or does it go back into gear after you bring the vehicle to a stop???
  2. B

5R55W/E/A4LD comparison coming

I think the guts of a W would fit into a A4LD case but the 1st to 2nd gear ratio would be a concern of mine. The W has a 1st gear ratio of about 3.25 while the E is more like 2.75. 2nd gears are the same so I would think the engine RPM drop would be alot.
  3. B

92 explorer no forward in OD but fine in D

O/D sprag failure. Coast clutch comes on in reverse ( engine braking )so a failed sprag won't effect that.
  4. B

Calling All Brains

I'm Back !!!! Anyway, it is possible to have a bad direct clutch operate in reverse and not in 3rd due to higher pressures in reverse. If that is the case here, there should be a slip or a more than normal delayed reverse engagement. The sealing rings on the center support for the...
  5. B

5R55E 1st gear only -- long post

You need to get the codes pulled first . That will get you in the right direction. I would suspect that the VB gasket has failed. Pull the valve body off and confirm that the VB gasket has failed-which it likely has.
  6. B

Help diagnosing 4R70W shudder

Don't overlook the possiblity of a bad spark plug or wire. Feels very similar. But if the shudder went away for a short time, I think you're on the right track.
  7. B

96 Explorer Transmission Blues

That air may be cold but it's sooooo fresh,eh??:o
  8. B

Another Reverse no forward gears

I think you have a few problems. I suspect that you missed or cut one of the o-rings on the filter.That explains the engagment issue. There is a very good chance that you missed engaging the manual valve with the shift linkage. Pull the pan off and have a look.
  9. B

Another Reverse no forward gears

Did you have the trans apart or just the valve body?? I am curious about your statement that it would not go into reverse or park. That is screaming shift linkage problems to me.
  10. B

96 5.0 tranny problem

Just a small warning,a 4R70W in an Explorer is a very,very tight fit. I'd rank it as one of the more difficult Ford trannys to remove.. Once out and on the bench, it's one of the easiest trannys to overhaul.
  11. B

96 5.0 tranny problem

Looks like a converter clutch problem. Either the converter itself or valve body/solenoid issue. Be prepared to overhaul it.
  12. B

Query

97 is the break between Merc 5 and Mercon. Could have either. If in doubt, put Merc 5 in.
  13. B

transmission 4R70W problem.

Easy to find out. V6= 4R55E V8= 4R70W What is the trans doing other than throwing codes ????
  14. B

'97 Ford Ranger, 3.0L, V6, Auto Trans Problems?

I have been thinking about why the TR is mentioned as a possible cause of no forward. It's not the electrical issue that the engineers are after, it's the phsyical failure of the TR. What if the TR seized solid?? You wouldn't be able to move the shifter, possibly can't move it into Drive...
  15. B

Because I do this for a living. Ford factory trained and very good at what I do.
  16. B

Keep in mind that like any other reference manual that there is a chance of errors. I am thinking that this one of those cases. Section 201 says "no electrical concerns yet ,like you said, it lists the TR further down. I can say from experiance that the TR will not cause a no engagement...
  17. B

Make sure the wire harness, connectors, dipstick tube and vent tube at the top of the bellhousing are out of the way. It is very easy to stuck between the trans and flexplate.
  18. B

Well I'm embarrased to admit this but my dealer does not have that blue book, it should but somehow it has gone missing. I am looking under the diagnosis by symptom section. Which section are you looking at?? The service manual and the blue book use the same diagnosis info.
  19. B

My service manual clearly says "no forward" or "no reverse" or " no forward or reverse" --- no electrical concerns. Are you sure you are not looking at harsh/soft forward or reverse?? Tucson-girl, forward and reverse functions use different clutches that are controlled by various valves in...
  20. B

Let me clarify the role of the range sensor a little bit. The Trans Range ( TR ) sensor simply tells the PCM what gear -- range-- you have selected. It also serves as the neutral safety switch and reverse lamp switch-- all separate circuits. The PCM uses that information for line pressure -- by...
  21. B

Stuck governor

Get a bottle of LubGuard and dump it in. That stuff works.
  22. B

Transmission Issues

Sooooo true. And by all means, call or write Ford customer service and complain about the crappy service. We do hear about it and are rated among the dealers within the region. The better dealers do do something about it. Corporate Ford lost over 12 BILLION US dollars last year. They are...
  23. B

Dunno. Try it and find out:cool: I honestly don't know.
  24. B

Back to basics first. Check the ATF fluid level. If that is low,top it up and find the leak. There are o-rings on the filter that can fail and cause the pump to suck air. A quick way to find out is to overfill the trans by about 1 or 2 liters.If it fixes the engagement problem then a trans...
  25. B

I have looked into that before and concluded that yes, a 5R55E will work just fine in place of a 4R44E. The bulkhead connectors are indentical and all terminals serve the same function in both trannys. As long as the bellhousing is the same you're good to go. Keep in mind that you will...
Back