Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Map sensor location

On my 87 the MAP is mounted on the firewall just to the pass side of center. I've seen some later model Rangers where the MAP is partially embedded into the firewall, same location.
  2. C

Scaner Code 41, 89 Ranger

The code certainly indicates an O2 sensor problem, so you might want to re-check the wiring and connector at the O2 sensor. The wiring could be broken, burnt or bare and the connector could be burnt or corroded. If you want to check the voltages of the wires (assuming there are 3 ), with the...
  3. C

Weird Idle

I would look for a vac leak, possibly re-torque the intake manifold bolts. If no change, try to get some fault codes if you haven't already done so.
  4. C

Solved Engine Bogging Problem

Thanks for your reply. This very tiny vac tube, was it rubber or hard plastic ?? Also, I did mean that I made the TPS adjustable to solve the bogging problem. I drilled the TPS mounting holes out to a larger dia so that the TPS could be adjusted ( rotated ) on it's mounting screws.
  5. C

Solved Engine Bogging Problem

I drive an 87, 2.9, A4LD pickup....daily driver. The engine bogged (hesitated) every time you took it just off idle. You could even make it bog by moving the throttle while under the hood and in Park. It would catch in about 1 sec and then run normally. I tested/changed/cleaned many things...
  6. C

What would you do?

Just my experience but I've found that it's better to repair the existing motor than put a different motor in....fewer complcations. If you didn't develop any bottom end problems so far because of oil contamination, then chances are good IMO that the bottom end will be OK. You obviously like...
  7. C

2.9 Rough Idle/Stall During Warm-Up

Go to The Ranger Station site, Tech Library, Computer, EEC-IV Diagnostics. Read the Analog Voltmeter Method (I use a test light instead of a voltmeter). Click on Test Hook-ups.
  8. C

EGR problems... HELP ME PLEASE!

Check the code carefully. On my 2.9 the EGR has several codes representing several different problems with the EGR system. The valve proper can be one problem but the EGR system cosists of more than just the valve. There is usually some kind of actuator, a position sensor, possibly a vacuum...
  9. C

89 ranger starts but wont idle

Best thing to do is have the fault codes read. It should point you in the right direction.
  10. C

stuck in 4 wheel drive

Go to the forum on Transmissions, Transfer Cases & Differentials and have a read on the sticky thread about 4WD, AWD and Transfer Case Information & Operation. It describes your problem and talks about jacking the truck up to unlock it. The comments apply to older trucks but it might get you...
  11. C

Help Please...New Idle Problem

Definitely see if it's showing any codes.
  12. C

Purchasing: '02 Ranger

I have an older Ranger but just browsing the posts in this forum I spotted the following problems that seem to be common: - Slip yoke binding, last post 02-19-2007, 3:34pm - faulty fuel pump/sensor, last post 01-28-2007, 11:14am - 4x4 & Hub problems, last post 01-27-2007, 12:03am...
  13. C

4.0 major water leak 92 Ranger

The freeze plugs are located on the side of the engine block. There are 3 on each side (or bank), all in a horizontal row. They are about 1 1/2" in diameter. You can best see them when looking up at the motor from underneath. If you have a leaker, and you can get a good line of sight to it, it...
  14. C

4.0 major water leak 92 Ranger

Most likely a freeze plug.
  15. C

New axles tomorrow(3/7/07)

Wow ! Looking forward to your posts on that project.
  16. C

oil pressure problems

What is indicating no oil pressure, the factory gauge ??
  17. C

Higher overdrive gear on a manual?

Unless you can find the same make/model transmission that has the gear sets you want, you are probably out of luck. As an example, for 60's Chevy's you could get an M21 Muncie with 2 different 1st gear ratios. One was a 2.20 to 1.00 "close ratio" for road racing use and the other was...
  18. C

Do they make an A pillar guage pod for 89-90 Ranger?

Checked AutoMeter and Stewart Warner with no luck. Seems to be lots for F-150's, and some later Rangers, maybe locate a source, measure and see if you can adapt.
  19. C

manuel transmission well not go back in

Usually my problem with manual transmissions not wanting to go back in, has been caused by the clutch disc being slightly out of alignment in relation to the pilot bushing in the flywheel. If you don't have a dummy input shaft to stick in there and align the disc while the clutch pedal is...
  20. C

1999 Ranger has a small jerk when I stop and take off.

Your truck does not have an external striker and switch on the door and door post. The switch is inside the door, attached to the latch mechanism. There's an excellent replacement procedure at: www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/DoorContactPin.html
  21. C

'88 Ranger hard starting

The Idle Air Contol valve (IAC) is located on the pass. side of the upper intake manifold at the front of the manifold. It's main body is cylindrical in shape, and is about 3" long. Two screws hold it on. #1 cylinder is also on the pass. side of the engine and is the front-most cylinder. The...
  22. C

95 Ranger Turn Signal problem

Well IMO you did OK. To come away from a garage with a bill less than $500 is pretty good these days.
  23. C

The proper name for the signal module I refered to is the "Multi-Function Switch". I found a thread that seems somewhat related to your problem. It's "2000 Ranger Electrical Problem" on page 16 of this forum with a last post of 05-12-2006. It might give you some ideas or things to check before...
  24. C

This may not be your problem, but I had a 94 F-150 that had what felt like a loose signal lever and I was having problems getting it to signal at all. The solution was replacement of the signal module behind the steering wheel in the steering column. May be your problem too if the signal lever...
  25. C

2.9 Rough Idle/Stall During Warm-Up

Quick update: Tightened the 12 intake manifold bolts. Got 1/4 turn out of about 6, 1/2 turn out of about 5, and 3/4 turn out of the lower intake bolt near the fuel press. regulator. They are quite easy to get at. This did improve the engine's smoothness and the 1/2 warm rough idle is less...
Back