Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Top end rebuild, '91 OHV, 95TM heads?

After 270k miles of faithful service, my head gaskets have given up the ghost. The oil pan gasket is shot, and the clutch (original) needs replaced, so I'm going to pull the engine to clean up the gaskets and address the heads. I've run Mobil 1 for the past 19 years and the motor, other than...
  2. M

Rancho 2.5 inch lift install directions

Packrat that I am, I still have the installation instructions for the Rancho 2 1/2" lift (kit #8990 ) that I installed 16 years ago. Someone asked about it, so here it is for all to enjoy.
  3. M

Rear Fog Lamps

Hello, I need the rear fog lights and bezels/surrounds for a 1997 Ford Explorer. I believe these were the same from 1996 to 1999. Thank you.
  4. M

Explorer Rear Fog Lamps

I'm trying to find a source for some rear fog lamps for a '97 Explorer. These are standard on '95 through '01 European Explorers, but I'm having a tough time finding someone that will sell to me and ship to the States (there's one on eBay, but the seller won't even respond to my inquiries)...
  5. M

Rear disc swap, front Ranger swap, stopping not that fabulous

The brakes in my '91 4 door have been unimpressive for longer than I can remember. 7 or 8 years ago I swapped in a '99 Explorer rear with discs, but noticed no difference in braking (I didn't do the MC or the adjustment of the rod, which at the time was all the rage). I just completed another...
  6. M

New Complete Leaf pack, 2.5/3" lift

The 14 year old Rancho springs on my Explorer are shot. I've really liked the on-road ride with the Rancho springs, but they don't make the kit or the springs anymore. Duff doesn't sell their parts individually, so they're out as a replacement venue. Since my stock rear springs are 22 years...
  7. M

Rancho Radius Arm Bushings

I have a Rancho 2.5" lift on my '91 Explorer, and the radius arm bushings are shot. Rancho apparently discontinued this kit in '99, which coincidentally is when I bought the kit, and they have zero bushings. I've tried searching the internet for anyone with old stock (part numbers 566 and 567...
  8. M

'97 V8 with 4406 and problems...

So the wife's ride now has an electronically switched 4406. Sooo nice driving that thing in the snow now. However, it has a few problems. First, the speedometer is way off. It reads much faster than the truck is actually moving. The tags on the 4406 read D 10 7 3 which I assumed matched the...
  9. M

AWD driveline bind

Patient is a '97 Limited with a V8. Long story short, replacing the front axle and half shafts (CVs, whatever you want to call them) alleviated the issue of dragging the front wheels across concrete when trying to reverse. Replacing the rear axle alleviated the issue of the truck sounding like...
  10. M

3rd brake works, mains do not?

On my newly acquired '97 Limited, the neon tube brake light works, but the two main taillights do not. The running lights work, the bulbs themselves are fine (handy having another Explorer to swap parts to/from) and when I put the voltmeter to the brake light socket, I have a constant 4 volts...
  11. M

'97 V8, 4406 swap, plus vaccuum disconnects?

Last night after a short tow from Westminster to Littleton, I became the proud new owner of a '97 Limited with the 302, a missing front driveshaft and a completely shot front axle. Perfect project vehicle. If I hadn't promised it to the wife, it would be the perfect candidate for a solid axle...
  12. M

What changed in 1998?

So I'm shopping for a "new" X for the missus, and like the prices of the '95 - '99 Explorers with the 302. I've seen many times that '98 to '01 is the way to go, but I'm having a hard time discerning why. What changed in '98? Same motor, slightly different heads (external EGR). The '95s had...
  13. M

Rancho, James Duff and Skyjacker combo lift

I've got the Rancho 2 1/2" lift installed on my '91 4 door, and it's starting to sag (been on there 8 years now) and I'm sick of replacing the front left shock every 6 months when it pulls out of its upper mount. I don't want to replace the radius arms or the drop brackets, but am looking at...
  14. M

Offset of American Racing Type 26 Directionals?

Does anybody have the specs on the old American Racing Directional (I think they were Type 26, could be wrong) rims? The sawblade style. I found a set for sale, but they're on the car (wrecked '91 Explorer) and the owner has no idea of the size or offset. I'm assuming the size that American...
  15. M

Disc Brake Conversion, Parking Brake...

I put the rear axle from a '98 X under my '91 a few months ago, but ran out of time & didn't install the parking brake cables. This weekend I finally attempted to install the cables I'd bought several months ago, yet they don't fit. I've replaced every cable on the thing (both rear, the...
  16. M

The Sayre trail in Colorado?

I'm trying to track down a trail in Colorado, but don't have very much to go on. I've been told it is between Boulder & Estes Park. There was (may still be) a sign at the entrance to the trail warning about the bridge, which was rickety at best fifteen years ago. The pictures I have are quite...
  17. M

Ranger front axle into an Explorer?

The early 90's Rangers use the Dana 35, as do the 91-94 Explorers. Anyone know if these are the same axles? I'm considering purchasing the front axle out of a '93 Ranger, but I need to know if it's going to work in my '91 Explorer. I'm talking the whole thing, not just the gears out of it...
  18. M

Help!! Manual Transmisison Woes

Obviously I'm not the only one having transmission problems, guess it's just that time... I've got a '91 4 door XLT with the Mazda 5 speed. The first transmission lasted 150,000 miles before she blew, when I bought a new one from the dealer. Spec'ed for a '99 they told me it would be fine...
  19. M

Front mounted tow hooks?

I want to install some front tow hooks but can't see any really good place to mount them. Anyone got ideas on this? I've had a recomendation of a clevis thru the crossmember, which would certainly work, but I'd like something a little more, well, bolted on... The stock bumper on the X leaves...
  20. M

2.5" Rancho lift Ripping out Shock Absorbers

I have a 1991 4 door Explorer XLT that runs a 2.5 inch Rancho lift and RS 9000 shocks at each corner. I installed the lift about three years ago, and continue to have a problem with the front shock absorbers. The front shock absorbers will pull all the way thru the top mounting hole in the...
Back