Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

son 1, Explorer 0

my son's been driving my Explorer for school, he has about 10k miles under his belt and well, got ****y.. took a corner to fast, in the first rain after about 3 weeks of good weather and rolled the Explorer.. wearing his seatbelt, he walked away with a sore arm..
  2. C

Need more stopping power

I tow a 26 ultra light travel trailer behind my Explorer Sport, it had trailer brakes on all 4 wheels and I have a brake controller in my Ex.. no way would I pull a load behind it without having trailer brakes.. you definitely need to get trailer brakes on your trailer....
  3. C

2011 Explorer.

who cares.. it's WWD.. Wrong Wheel Drive.. I'll never buy it.. besides my winch would look stupid on the front of that..
  4. C

How close have you been to running out of gas?

hmmm, last time I "ran out of gas" was planned.. I was driving with my son from Elko Nevada to Cascadia Oregon (about 600 miles) I filled my 03 Cobra up with as much fuel as I could get into it, it was all the way up the filler tube, then filled up a 5 gallon can that I stuck behind the drivers...
  5. C

How close have you been to running out of gas?

well, filled up my 03 Cobra till it couldn't get any more fuel in it, and drove till the engine started to sputter.. made it 349 miles, from Elko Nevada to the outskirts of Burns Oregon (had a 5 gallon can of fuel with me, wanted to see how far I could go) I havn't tried that in the Explorer...
  6. C

Explorer vs steel gate

Last fall I was out playing around in the woods, driving off the hill at night when I came across a locked gate.. #1 don't drive off a hill with your headlights turned off, or this can happen... damage was buckled hood, busted grill, both fenders are crinkled about 2" back a bit, and...
  7. C

Winch Sizes.

I have a 01 Sport 4x4, and Warns 9.5ti on a mulitmount.. considering that it will pull the vehicle straight up a tree with 5 wraps on it, I'm not too concerned about not having enough pulling power.. AND if I don't, I always have a very nice snatch block and 3 chains in the back..
  8. C

4.56 or not 4.56...that is the question!

well, what I'd do is consider the size of the original tire, and the size of what you have now.. I'm going to guess that you originally had a 235 75 15 on it, and now have a 33" tire.. by going to the 4.56 gears, your probably back in the ballpark of of where you were stock as far as tire...
  9. C

-Your Explorer-

I've had 2 Explorers 1st one 2001 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 SOHC 5r55e $26,000 15 miles 65,000 miles (wife wanted Nissan Murano, she has it) 2nd one 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC 5r55e $11,000 44,000 52,000 both 100% reliable, the Sport is in my sig, future mods are 4" lift...
  10. C

BFG All Terrain

I've had my 31X10.5X15 All Terrain's on my EX Sport for a few thousand miles now, and though I'd say what I though of them. On the highway they are a decent tire, not too loud (actually IMHO not loud enough). On gravel roads, do quite nicely, (of course any tire will do fine on gravel). In the...
  11. C

4x4 to 2x4 conversion Parts and help needed

I've never heard of anyone wanting to change a 4x4 into a 4x2.. it's just STRANGE.. the ONLY advantage I can see, is a slight increase in fuel economy, and IMHO that's not justified..
  12. C

Offroading, lift and tire question. HELP?

I have an 01 Sport, with 31" BFG A/T's.. (didn't need a TT or any other lift to fit them) they are ok in the snow, but when your in 12" or more of mud, they just clog up and your stuck.. of course you can get a come-along and some chains/cable to get you unstuck, or pony up and get a nice winch..
  13. C

01 Sport on 31x 10.5's

so far 31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich Comp TA All Terrain Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Hidden Hitch receiver 2 ga rear wiring with solenoid cut off for winch removed nerf bars wants 4" Superlift
  14. C

new tires on the X..

not yet(for pics) I'm on duty so I'll get the pics tomorrow(friday).. from what I've read on here the largest you can get without rubbing is the 31x10.5 tires without a tt lift etc.. also, they are BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A ko's..
  15. C

whats faster, explorer or civic?

have you raced already? (kinda wish that I'd get someone that wanted too race me in my Explorer, if they beat me I'll ask if they want to go double or nothing, but let me get my other vehicle) :D :D
  16. C

new tires on the X..

well, I decided that I needed new tires, the Wrangler RT/S in the 235/75/15's just weren't cutting it in off road conditions(getting stuck in less than 10" of snow) So went today and at discount tire got some 31"/10.5/15's and replaced them. WOW what a difference in the snow, even the slush...
  17. C

never too be stuck again.. Warn to the rescue

well, where I go, (backwoods of Oregon) too play off road, there's approximately 1 gazillion trees around, and the same number of stumps, but your right about making sure there's something to hook the winch up to..
  18. C

Where can i get cobra wheels?

www.tirerack.com had Cobra rims(replica) not sure of their price though..
  19. C

action pics

where's the winch at?
  20. C

never too be stuck again.. Warn to the rescue

Well today, I bought for my 01 Explorer a hidden hitch front receiver and Warn mulit-mount kit that are on order, have in my posession a Warn 9.5ti and rear wiring kit that will be installed on the Explorer Saturday.. should make going off road alot more "safe" knowing that if I get stuck, which...
  21. C

Best model/year of the 98-01's?

I had an 01 Explorer XLT 4x4 with trailer tow package and 4.10 gears.. it was plenty of truck to pull a uhaul trailer 5x8 fully loaded and the back fully loaded for Seattle to North Carolina at 80+ mph (including up the Rockies) now I have an 01 Explorer Sport with 3.73 gears and limited Slip...
  22. C

Towing 2500 lbs

talking with the wife today, and for our next tow vehicle, we won't have any of these worries.. going to get in about a year, either a F150 King Ranch or the Lincoln Mark LT(dressed up F150) with the 3 valve 5.4 SOHC..
  23. C

Towing 2500 lbs

Re: Re: Towing 2500 lbs Didn't have any problems in OD.. when I had to slow down to under 60(not too often) I'd take it out of OD, but normally just left it in..
  24. C

v8 or v6???

from what I understand the AWD applies about 30% power to the front and 70% to the rear at all times, using some type of differential in the transfer case. I don't know if it can lock up sending 50/50 power evenly, and it dosn't have the low range that I've grown accustomed to in a 4x4 which is...
  25. C

Towing 2500 lbs

mileage was horrid, between 12 to 15 mpg. U Haul said it was a 4 door Taurus that towed it(in reality we used my brothers Ranger to rent the trailer then hooked it to my Ex for the trip across the country) it was a 5x8 single axle that was completely filled, and the back of the Ex was full with...
Back