Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Console Vault for Explorer

I've got a ConsoleVault in my Expedition and love it. My mom had me pick one up for her '15 Explorer after seeing mine, but then she lost her job. Maybe I'll just hold onto it in case I go back to the Explorer. I really can't live without the ConsoleVault now. :p
  2. D

Thinking of Ditching the Explorer

Regarding the peeling paint, the only permanent solution is to get entirely new panels or have the existing ones completely stripped, properly prepped, and re-painted. You're looking at thousands of dollars to do it right and have it last. I've also noticed the various creaks, clunks, and...
  3. D

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

There have been multiple TSBs on this issue. TSB 04-25-1, 06-25-15, and most recently 16-0028, which expands the problems to model years all the way up to 2016. Ford has been aware of this issue for 17 years, but has failed to correct it because it would put a dent in their profits. It's...
  4. D

Front Parking Sensors

It wouldn't matter much to me on an Explorer, but I wish I had them on my Expedition EL. My truck doesn't fit in most parking spots as it is, so I try to pull up as close as possible to the other vehicle/wall to minimize the amount my a** hangs out. I generally get within 2" of whatever is in...
  5. D

Auxiliary backup lights relay question

OK, thanks. That's what I was thinking, but wanted to confirm due to my lack of electrical knowledge. Since I'm already tapping the reverse lights with 3A, I'll probably just tap the taillights with the second relay.
  6. D

Sorry, to clarify ... Position #1 : Manual On Position #2 : Off Position #3 : On w/ reverse I would like to add a relay so position #3 is instead "On w/ reverse and headlights/tailights."
  7. D

I picked up a set of Rigid SR-Q backup lights (kit version). By default, these lights have a 3 position switch on/off/on with reverse lights. I would like to wire in a second relay so that in position #3 the lights only come on with my headlights/taillights. Can someone explain what...
  8. D

2016 Sport to Replace 2002 XLT 4wd 4.6 V8?

I agree, though a 2014 with 30K miles runs closer to $40K. NADA clean trade-in value for a 2014 Sport w/ 30K miles is $36,700; retail is $39,925. You should have no problem finding one somewhere in between those 2 values and if you shop around a bit, I'm sure you can find one closer to...
  9. D

OBDLink MX, PLX KiWi 2 or UltraGuage

Yep, I purchased one within the last couple weeks for my 2011 Expedition EL. I ordered it pre-programmed for "Ford with CAN (~2008+)," which has the trans temp option built into it. They have several other pre-programming options for Ford listed on their page as well. If you already own one...
  10. D

OBDLink MX, PLX KiWi 2 or UltraGuage

The UltraGauge MX 1.3 allows you to read trans temp.
  11. D

Interior window guards for an '00 Mountaineer?

Yeah I did consider making my own as well since it's such a simplistic design, but I hadn't quite figured out the framing around the mesh.
  12. D

K9s officers use them to keep the K9s from taking a bite out of anyone dumb enough to try and pet the dog. I'm looking to use them for the same purpose. I travel with my dogs often and two are naturally very protective of the vehicle and its occupants. While most people have enough common...
  13. D

Does anyone know where I can find a set of interior window guards for an '00 Mountaineer? Havis doesn't have any products in their current line for an '00. Also, has anyone ever tried to fit these in a non-police vehicle? I'm wondering how easy/difficult that would considering I'll have...
  14. D

Rear liftgate interior disassembly for '00 Mountaineer?

Thanks again fellas. I got this sorted the other day. Total cost of repair: 58 cents
  15. D

Thanks to you both. :thumbsup: I'm going to tackle this job this week.
  16. D

Does anyone have a diagram, video, or anything of the sort to guide me through disassembly of the rear liftgate interior on an '00 Mountaineer? I need to re-mount the rear window and would like to know what I'm in for plus I would like to minimize the chances of breaking any clips. TIA for any...
  17. D

Heat is ALWAYS on :(

My '00 Mountaineer is constantly blowing hot air, regardless of whether the climate control is set to 60F, 90F, Max A/C or even OFF. Once the car really heats up (e.g. after driving for a couple hours), the center console and dash get very hot to the touch. My first thought was the blend door...
  18. D

Terrible radio reception .. help!

The s*itty radio reception in my Mountaineer is driving me nuts. :( I live in a pretty rural area, but my wife gets crystal clear reception in our Mazda 6 with the stock headunit. I've got a JVC headunit and I can only get a couple stations, neither of which is my favorite station. New...
  19. D

Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tire P235/75R15

I had them on my 1992 Explorer years ago. Mine didn't wear evenly either despite religiously rotating them. I couldn't really tell you how many miles were on them but I had to ditch them because they started breaking down at the sidewalls. Hopefully they've improved them since then.
  20. D

Economical replacement for Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo?

I'm on my 2nd set of Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos and am well overdue for replacement. I wasn't impressed with the treadwear but I loved the grip on these. I'm not looking to spend that much on a set of tires right now though. Anyway, I do mostly highway driving, with the occasional use in a...
  21. D

2009 Mazda6 - changing how things work?

You guys have always been a big help with my Mountaineer so thought I'd ask here about the Mazda too. There are a few things I'd like to change with my Mazda and I wondered if any of them could be done easily or not. I'd like to connect my automatic headlights to my rain sensing wiper feature...
  22. D

Change my own plugs? (V8)

It could be something else but as these plugs/wires were done 67K+ miles ago, I'm hoping for a simple solution. Everything was definitely reachable and without taking off a wheel. I just pulled the splash guards. Just turned the wheels all the way left and I can reach easy. The driver's side...
  23. D

Change my own plugs? (V8)

The other day the old girl started acting up and a scan shows cylinder 4 misfiring. I checked my records and the last time the plugs were changed was Feb. 2007 ... about 65K miles ago. Anyway, the plugs have a lifetime warranty but it's about $100 labor for the same shop to replace them. My...
  24. D

Should I replace my own window?

OK so I did it all, hit some snags but I got it done. On day 2, the epoxy cracked and due to frustration I gave in and took it to my friend. The guy who owns the shop ended up redoing the epoxy for free as he said the hard part of the job was done. Nice guy. :) So it's done and I got a...
  25. D

Should I replace my own window?

The right side is not an issue but I can't see any way to access the rivet on the left side.
Back