Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Well I finally changed mine out last night. I still had the original at 90K. I put a Wicks filter in. It was a PIA to get those lines off. First the chinese puzzle to unlock the safety clips. Then to get it to release the lines was a pain. Release the plastic clip first. ulock it at the...
  2. M

Why change plug wires when changing plugs?

So I'm at 90K and getting ready to change my plugs out. Do you think it's really worth it to change out the plug wires while I'm at it? I don't know anyone that does this. Would this be part of a regular maintenance by Ford if I took it in for 100K tune up? Do you think I'm better off just...
  3. M

Charge light is blinking on and off

Layinhp called it. Wrong Alternator. I don't know how they did it but they gave me the wrong one. They changed them in 2004 but I clearly told the guy that it was a 2004. The way to tell the difference is that there is 3 electrical connections instead of two. Mine has a round connection...
  4. M

Paint Corrosion TSB...

That sucks. 5 year old truck. Paints bubbling and popping off the leading edge of the hood. I lost a spot this morning about 1 inch by 3 inches. I'm afraid if I get it fixed it will keep happening.
  5. M

Ok so I went to O'Rielly Auto Parts this morning and had it tested. As the light seemed to be coming on constantly now. His little tester thing said the alternator was bad. So I picked up a remanufactured one for $170. Tax and core charge out the door for $200 but I get $15 back...
  6. M

So tonight the charge light seemed to come on when I accelerated. When I took my foot off the accelerator the light would turn off. Does this still point to the alternator for sure? It seems to come on more consistently now.
  7. M

So if my Alternator goes out will my truck immediately stop working or will I be able to limp home 10 miles on just the battery?
  8. M

My battery or charge light on my dash blinks on and off intermittently. I don't see any other problems. The engine starts fine and everything works fine. When the light comes on and off I don't see the headlights dim or anything. The light comes on and off pretty quick and keeps doing it on...
  9. M

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

Actually I would use Trevor at Pacific Audio http://home.comcast.net/~pacificaudiotech/ He fixed mine quick and for $50 a while back. That was the smartest way I can think to fix this problem. mikeh
  10. M

Can I use a 98 Stereo in my 04 XLT

Power. Standard XLT seat. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
  11. M

No but I have a grey cloth one if you want it. Might not match too well but it would make a good conversation started with the chicks. :D
  12. M

I have a 98 XLT which I'm parting out. It's got a factory head and separate factory 6 disk unit in the console. Can I put this unit in my 04 without much trouble? My 04 has a pretty basic single CD and no tape and I would like to have the 6 CD player in the new one. Is this possible?
  13. M

AC fan control switch

I replaced the switch last night. It was pretty easy. Now I have 4 speeds on my fan!! Here are the steps: 1. Pull the switch nob off just by pulling on it. 2. Get a 1" putty knife and wedge it between the carbon fiber looking cover plate and the vynal at the bottom right below the AC...
  14. M

Tail light replacement

Yep easy as pie. I pulled the two screws, removed the bulbs, and popped the new taillight assembly in. Took about 5 minutes.
  15. M

Tail light replacement

I broke out my tail light when I hit something the other day. I ordered a new tail light assembly. To replace the tail light assembly do you have to just remove the two screws on the inside behind that hatch or do you have to take apart the interior to get to the tail light assembly? If I...
  16. M

What's your gas Mileage?

I have an 04 4.4 XLT V6 3.55 rearend SOHC totally stock. I got 18 on one tank and 17 on the other with a bit more city driving. I think the 3.55 vs. the 3.73 rearend is an important factor. When you post your milage please check the following items. V6/V8 2WD/4x4 3.55/3.73 rearend...
  17. M

AC fan control switch

I just ordered this one. If it works I'll let you know. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213787&chapter=DP2170&appSectionid=9&groupid=10074&subgroupid=60143&make=10&model=Explorer&year=2004&catalogid=1
  18. M

AC fan control switch

Thanks man. I found a happy middle between 3 and 4 yesterday. It's nice to have that third speed. I'll look for the switch and change it out. Thanks again.
  19. M

I just blew up my Explorer!!! Ahhh!

So who wants to come over for some beers and help me change out an engine? :p The new X is running great. I'm not exactly excited about digging into this project. Maybe I should just part it out.
  20. M

Well I'm buying a new engine from a guy for $500 with 64K here locally to drop in the Explorer. We'll see if I can do a better job changing the engine than I did changing the oil. :confused: Thanks everyone for the kind words. ;) I'm passed being steamed. I've also bought a 2004 X...
  21. M

I just drove my Explorer 2 miles with no oil in it and I toasted the engine I think. I changed the oil and the filter ended up threaded wrong. I dumped 5 quarts in and I never noticed it all drained onto my driveway!!! My wife drove off in my Explorer this morning and got two miles before she...
  22. M

Door Locks

Here is a link to a thread that should help. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113217&page=1&pp=20
  23. M

'98 XLT Wont start believe its the fuel pump, need some advice.

Check the inertia switch and the fuse before moving on. Check the wire if you are getting 12 volts to the fuel pump. See if you hear the fuel pump fire up when you turn the key to on but not engage the starter. Is there gas in the tank? Is the fuel cap on?
  24. M

Door locking problem

I'd guess you need a new latch. It's about $50 from Ford and a real pain to install. I had the same problem with mine.
  25. M

Help rodent in my dash!!!!

I say take off and nuke it from space. It's the only way to be sure. :D
Back