Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

REPLACING a 4.0 sohc &trans

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c1528018ec84 thats a link to removing the engine. autozone has free online guides for a lot of cars if you dont want to drop money on the haynes/chilton manual. i've only ever pulled the engine on my explorer (98 SOHC 2WD) and...
  2. S

Recoding a door lock cylinder (95 ranger, manual locks)

blah, i was afraid of and was expecting that, oh well, maybe i can do it without mangling them
  3. S

Recoding a door lock cylinder (95 ranger, manual locks)

I have a 95 ranger and wanted to recode the locks. I lost the key a few weeks ago and bought a cylinder kit at autozone for 20 bucks to replace the ignition cylinder. So now my ignition and door locks arent the same key. I've got the cylinder out of the door and sitting here on the desk, i...
  4. S

timing gear recall-cut off dates?

hmm, never heard of a twin cam in the explorer, all data doesnt even show any service procedures for a twin cam, whats the engine vin code?
  5. S

timing gear recall-cut off dates?

first off, its a single overhead cam, or SOHC, not a dual overhead cam. secondly, to answer you question, the extended warranty for the cam cassettes is 7 years or 100,000 miles, which ever comes first. the 7 years is from the date the original warranty started (should be delivery date if...
  6. S

Its out! Replacing my SOHC Cassettes, one question

Well, i started the repairs last week at work. was only able to work on it off and on, but i finally got the engine out thursday night, and its on the stand right now. Pulled the left side chain guide out and found it broken in two places. will post pictures later when i can get a chance to...
  7. S

Question about Hydraulic tensioners...

although i still dont have an answer for you, i do have another question. I started teardown this week, almost ready to pull the engine out. one thing i cant figure out is where to bolt on the hoist eyelets so i can pull the engine out. alldata doesnt really show where to bolt them on, just...
  8. S

SOHC question

absolutely. i had my tensioner replaced under the recall a long while ago to address the rattle noise at 2500-3k, they replaced it, then told me that if the noise came back, that it was a normal noise. at the time, i took their word for it. the noise was back about a month or so later, but...
  9. S

95 explorer won't start

my 98 has an inertia switch, its under the carpet in the passenger side front floorboard area, i think its up under the dash. not sure what exactly it shuts off but that would be a good place to start. if it wont scan codes, then maybe the ecm is toast. check fuses and look for shorts. i...
  10. S

i am more than qualified to do the job, im a tech at a dealership, just never really done ford work. i have access to alldata but i never saw a kit number in the TSB, will have to check it again. i found the tool kit for 169 from an online distributor, so im gonna buy it from there when i can...
  11. S

anti theft, alarm

is it immediate, or after 30 seconds or so? if its after 30 seconds, on of your doors may not be closing all the way or the sensor is not tripping. when you lock your doors, press the lock button on the fob twice, if it honks once, all doors are closed, if it honks twice, there is a door ajar...
  12. S

unsure about the tensioner question, but i had a few questions of my own. I am going to be doing this soon, and i had that same problem, where the noise just recently got worse, so i parked it and am gathering the parts to work on it. one of the things i need to know, do you have to remove the...
  13. S

New respect for SOHC plug changers

typically, its best if you do not use the universal joints. if you try to turn sparkplugs from an angle, you risk snapping the plug. when you can, always get it straight on.
  14. S

How to replace the tail light in a 98 explorer?

2 screws, and a kind of ball stud that fits into a socket, when you remove the screws, you just grab the tail lamp and pull straight out to release the assembly from the car.
  15. S

Those little bitty instrument panel lights

even though the bulbs are there and look like they can be changed, they may not be offered as a replacement part. now i dont know this for sure, but its a possibility, they may want you to buy the whole control asm. If i were you, i would pull off the gauges and check and see if any of those...
  16. S

Miss at low RPM and heavy load...solved!

120k miles, had you ever replaced the fuel filter before? if not, it could have been your problem. I doubt it was the o2 sensor, as it plays no roll in engine performance, only emissions monitoring.
  17. S

SOHC Timing Cover

In a couple of weeks, I will be pulling the engine to service the front and rear timing chains on my 98 Explorer. When removing the timing cover, do you have to remove the water pump? All data doesnt say to but im not sure if the bolts go through into the block or if they just go into the...
  18. S

Downstream O2's

bank 1 pos 2 would be the post cat, so maybe they do need to be replaced.
  19. S

Expired warranty issue

i understand your argument, however, from what i understand, they didnt know about the failure until they took it in recently. based on what the OP has said, i think it should be factory coverage. we arent talking about a part that is known to go out after 2 years. we are talking about a part...
  20. S

Expired warranty issue

ya, that doesnt make sense. if the dealer is claiming it was a factory defect from day one, when they bought it back in 98, and they are just now seeing the problem, its not the customers fault. the engine only lasted as long as it did because of how few miles were on it. the engine would...
  21. S

Anti-theft lock down??? Mechanic says

i believe you need to wait at least 10 minutes after the anti-theft system has gone off and is preventing starting. after that time period, you should try starting again with a master key, or a known good key. i had a problem with my x that cause a no start condition where it would crank but...
  22. S

Downstream O2's

the post cat o2 sensor does not affect performance. it is only there to monitor oxygen leaving the catalyst. however, if they are severely fouled to the point where they do not read correctly, the engine computer will know this and will throw a code. and since it is an emissions related part...
  23. S

Windshield Washer - Fuse keeps blowing

could also be the pumps themselves. when electric motors are getting close to burning out, they tend to draw significantly more amperage. if they are cheap enough, personally, i would start with just replacing the washer pump motor.
  24. S

Locked Drivers Dor

i had a similar problem a year or so ago, i had found that a spring or something had broken on the outer door handle, that caused something else to bind up and i ended up braking the inner door handle as well, i believe the spring had to do with the locking part of the door latch. i bought a...
  25. S

Head gasket kit or replace it by itself?

internal or external leak? i was losing the reservior tank in about a weeks time as well, but it was going into the oil, but the oil level stayed the same. only way i knew it was in the oil was from they dye i added to the coolant and then had the oil sent in for analysis, wasnt even expecting...
Back