Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Varying front end howl, bearings already done

The front end of my '03 V8 AWD 101k miles start to howl again. Its most definately coming from the front not the center. Its odd when it does it, only from 40-45mph then subsides, then is noticeably loud at 70+mph. I replaced the wheel bearings last year and just replaced them again this...
  2. R

OD light flashing, no fault codes

Picked it up last nite finally, since the Manager wanted to drive it all weekend due to slow gear engagement when cold out of park. Guess what went to go to reverse this morning after sitting outside all night, and would not move until I gave it gas so back to the dealer it goes.
  3. R

Transmission Help

I doubt the fluid did it, it will usually cause a chatter. The solenoid packs are known to fail.
  4. R

I took it to the Ford dealer we bought our last 2 vehicles from today andl it ended up being a slipping torque converter. Total for the repair ~$1700. - 550 for the converter - 215 to rebuild the valvebody - 175 for trans flush - 660 for labor 12 month 12K warranty from Ford and 2...
  5. R

actron CP9180, that was my guess also, if it could actually read them.
  6. R

So my OD light decided to start flashing tonite. Just about a year ago I replaced the solenoid pack (Ford repalcement) along with filter and Amsoil ATF to fill it up. I hooked up my scanner tontite no codes stored or pending. The OD light will not come on until you get past 50MPH after...
  7. R

Solenoid pack PN check

According to their catalog, the W/S solenoids are interchangable and there are 2 part numbers as one supercedes another. The N is not interchangeable with the W or S transmission. It looks like the 04's and up had the 55S trans so those PN's I listed above should be OK for the 55W...
  8. R

Solenoid pack PN check

I have a 2003 XLT V8 AWD, which I believe has the 5R55W. I've got about 70K on the vehicle and will be dropping the pan and filter for the 2nd trans fluid change (with Amsoil fluid and Ford filter), and after reading a few posts on here I believe my pack is starting to show some signs of...
  9. R

HELP!!! CV shaft won't budge from pumpkin..

Its an '03 Explorer rear half shaft. They have a circlip that gets compressed as they slide on the bevel thats machined into the spider gears when removed. My 8.8 Tbird half shafts are the same design.
  10. R

There is no place to swing a hammer to knock it out. IF I yank hard on the axle, will that not just rely on the inner boot to pull it out? I had 2 30 inch prybars on at the same time at 2 spots and wouldn't budge. It didn't even start to compress the cirlip. I finally started to damage the...
  11. R

I was going to replace my leaking axle seal today. But I cannot get the axle to come out of the pumpkin. I had the knuckle off and detatched from the axle. I tried for an hour with prybars on many different spots and still wont budge. I cant get the circlip to go past the bevel on the gear. I...
  12. R

Going to be joining the family soon, got questions

I've had my '03 XLT V8 AWD for just over a year now, and love it. Just turned 50k on the odometer, bought it with 34k. I did get the chatter from the rear diff, but after changing the fluid with Amsoil and some friction modifier it hasn't come back since. I have since changed all fluids to...
  13. R

40,000 Mile Service Recomendations

AWD 40,000 Mile Service Recomendations Well, my 03 XLT V8 AWD, is about to turn 40,000 miles. I am just trying to see what everyone is doing to keep these things going. I am planning on changing all the fluids,diffs,transfer case, and trans. What oil is recommended for the diffs, 75-140? I...
  14. R

white paste under oil cap and in fill tube, '03 V8

took it to the dealer this afternoon, they said it is just common moisture build up from short term driving.
  15. R

I called and talked to the service manager and they are going to look at it today. He thinks it is probably just condensation also.
  16. R

First off, I am new to the Explorer just picked up my first one on Saturday, and ran across this forum. It is an "03 XLT V8 AWD. I went to check the oil today and notice it was a little low, so I figured I would add some. When I took off the oil cap there was white paste under it and in the...
Back