Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

1993 Ranger Auto shifter cable replace procedure

Roadrunner 777- You nailed it !! Thanks. The end of the cable assembly in the engine compartment had popped off the ball connection on the shift lever. I pushed it back on with a pair of channel locks... and so far so good.... Can shift in and out of gear..... It's pretty rusty down there...
  2. S

Arco777- Have you ever done this cable replacement ? Does the steering column have to come down to get to it ?? Thanks...
  3. S

Anyone know if this is written up anywhere? I believe it broke at the steering column end. Under truck is still intact. What do I hjave to do to replace this cable ? 1993 Ranger 4.0 liter, Automatic, 4wd...... Thanks...:D
  4. S

'93 Ranger 4x4 needs new rear brake lines..

Couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me on ... I have not done the brake lines on this trucj before and want to be sure I get the right parts, etc.... 1. Are rear lines 3/16 inch ? 2. What fittings are used at the wheel cylinder and splitter block? Metric ? 3. The...
  5. S

'93 Ranger wants to idle at 2000 rpm

It was a vacuum leak MrShorty - Thanks !!!! I checked one more time and I found one of those small diameter vacuum tubes had fallen off the rubber boot that mounts it to the vacuum port ...... :thumbsup:
  6. S

MrShorty- Thanks for the tip... but I did not find any vacuum hoses or fittings that looked like they were damaged .... any other ideas ?? Trunck runs fine on the road, other than the high idle......
  7. S

Hi- My Ranger just started idling high, either 2000rpm in neutral or 1200 to 1500 rpm in gear. This is even after warming up and driving. Could it be the Mass Airflow sensor ? Otherwise, it runs great. What else might I check ?? Thanks..:us:
  8. S

1993 Ranger AC system refrigerant

What was used on this model from the factory? R-12 or R-134a.... I can not find anything under the hood that shows this... Thanks....
  9. S

Head Gasket change on '93 Ranger 4 liter 4wd automatic

I bought complete new heads for about $220 each delivered from King Cylinder Heads in Oakland, CA. They are on since October and working fine thus far.... I am not in the Ariz area, so I could not recommend a local shop to try ..... Good Luck....
  10. S

1993 Ranger Wheel Bearing Problem

I've been hearing a noise from the front left wheel of my 4wd Ranger. I thought that it was the auto hub going and went out and got the conversion kit and a set of manual hubs... I took the left front wheel off but before I did I noticed that it was lose !! Like a wheel bearing that was not...
  11. S

1993 Ranger 4wd with auto hubs

So... a new noise has surfaced ..... I can be riding along in 2wd at high or low speed... then all of a sudden a hear and feel a thud from what sounds like the front end. It happens randomly.. may do it a couple of times in quick succession and then stop ...... only to come back some time...
  12. S

NEoffroad .... Not sure if I will have a problem again with mine or not... I just replaced both heads last month. My problem was twofold... first lost compression in #4 cylinder due to cracked or burnt exhaust valve and had a blown head gasket between #1 and #2cylinders .... I could not see...
  13. S

Maniak, Thanks..... I should turn the engine to bring the piston up to TDC to do the carbon removal right ? No problem with turning the engine over ? Thanks ..... last engine I did this on was a 60s vintage big block with a good old points distributor..:rangerred:
  14. S

I don't have a die grinder, but I do have a Dremel tool. Has anyone used a Dremel to remove the carbon buildup on the tops od the pistons ? What type of disc or pad should I use ?? What type of pad have you been using to clean-up the gasket surfaces without doing any damage to them ?? Thanks...
  15. S

I bought the heads, with new valves cut in, spings, and seals from King Cylinder Heads in Oakland, CA.... $229 each delivered. They look really good... but the test will be when I get them on.... For a '93 with over 150K miles on it,,, wasn't worth buying new ones from Ford for much more...
  16. S

I have not separated the fuel rail from the lower intake yet, took it all off as one assembly.... I hear good and bad things about taking the fuel rail off if you don't have any reason to... Aligning the 6 injectors properly ro re-sandwich the wole thing together can be tricky.... I have the 6...
  17. S

What to coat gaskets with ?????

I am putting a 4.0L back together after taking the heads off. Any advice on which gaskets to coat with sealant and what sealant to use ? Especially on the valvecover gaskets.... RTV ??? Sticky stuff ?? How about intake gaskets ? Nothing ?? What has worked best in the past for those that...
  18. S

SysInteg8tor -I agree. Wipe away what you can get at of course, but change the oil... run it for a short period ( 30 minutes) ... re-check the oil and coolant.. Hopefully you do not see any mixing evident... then run for 25 to 50 miles and even if you do not see anything mixing,,, change the...
  19. S

'93 4.0L , Fuel rail to Lower intake gasket

Thanks Tony H !! That pointer of lining up the rear injectors by tilting the manifold is a good one .... BTW,,, you do need a torx socket to tighten the studs that attach the fuel rail to the lower intake ... not sure of the size, but it is a small one...
  20. S

Right, the last pass on the head bolts is the 80 - 85 degree turn, about a quarter of a turn on the bolt..... But the lower intake and the heads should be torqued on at the same time, in the proper sequence to get the correct crush on both the head gaskets and the lower intake gaskets...
  21. S

Has anyone taken the fuel rail off the lower intake ?? I am changing the heads on my 4.0L and I have the intake off. Just wondering how difficult it is to line up the injectors and the gasket if I take the fuel rail off...... Thanks..
  22. S

'93 4.0L Radiator Fan removal

Currency- I just replaced my waterpump and fan today. With the right tools it's a piece of cake. I got the free rental tool from the local Autozone. That caught the 4 bolt heads on the pulley and that's how you keep it from turning while you loosen the nut that threads the fan assembly onto...
  23. S

Thanks everyone.. got the free rental wrench set from Autozone last night. will be using it today.... I'll let you know how I make out .... This is part of a much larger joj on this engine ... I have both heads off... Cyl #4 had a cracked exhaust valve and between Cyls # 1 and 2 was a blown...
  24. S

How difficult is it to change this gasket ?? I have the lower intake off the engine with the fuel rail still attached to it.. How hard is it to remove and replace this gasket ?? Thanks.. :rangerred:
  25. S

I am going to take this off the waterpump since the plastic blades are all cracked at the hub..... What is the best way to remove it ??? From what I can see looks look the big hex nut close to the water pump has to be turned off and I hear it is reverse thread ..... Is that right? What is...
Back