Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Alternator bolts shearing off?

The way I see it is that even though I made this blunder, by doing the work of installing my own intake gaskets and then replacing the intake manifold later, I still saved myself about a $1000 as taking that intake in and out twice is a pricey job. Even with this blunder having to get fixed twice.
  2. B

So after reading jpopper's post last night I racked my brain trying to remember a bracket. I thought, " if this hasn't happened before the first time, then there had to be a bracket on top to deter the downforce." I specifically remember telling my wife," I must have done it right, I didn't have...
  3. B

jpopper, I don't recall there being a supporting bracket for the alternator. I pulled the intake manifold off twice, replacing it the second time. That would make perfect sense seeing that it is the downforce of the belt pulling on the alternator that is making this happen.
  4. B

I honestly don't know. I didn't think all of those pulleys could get out of line. I guess I will find out once I get it towed. With 186K miles I should just cut my losses.
  5. B

I've had all sorts of problems with my 4.6 4x4 XLT. I've replaced my intake gaskets and the intake manifold. I had a new A/C system put in last year. Then after all of that the alternator bolts just sheared off sending the thing into the fan. I had the fan replaced and I had someone remove the...
  6. B

Intake manifold gaskets! What have I done?

No worries. I'm gonna bite the bullet and do it. Now that I have done it once I am sure I can cut down the time it takes to get it off and on in about half. In the time it took me last time to remove and replace I should be able to remove, replace and if necessary remove and replace again. Hell...
  7. B

pet575 - I want to thank you for al of your help pet. That thread gave me the opportunity to do something I have never done before and the fact that i did it and had no left over parts after reassembly made me very proud. I would hate to spend the $160 just to find out that Ford did some tiny...
  8. B

So I got it back from shop and it ran pretty good for a week. Then it was right back to crap. In looking at some other posts I think the problem is that the Thermostat housing is leaking coolant into my plug wells and fouling out plugs and or coils. However, that still doesn't change the high...
  9. B

I have sprayed three cans of carb cleaner around every square milimeter of that engine and not a fluctuation of any kind in engine running. I replaced all gaskets involved with manifold and throttle body. I replaced hoses from MAF to throttle body. I did not replace all plugs and coils as coils...
  10. B

The intake itself is fine. not a crack in sight. If you go to the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=361187 in his picture you will see how the piece that is all cracked and messed up is actually just an insulation sleave. It has nothing to do with the actual operation of...
  11. B

Yup That was the thread that I used to figure out how to do it. I saw the link, but when I saw the age of the thread I thought surely it can't be that cheap any more. I should have went and looked. It's all history now anyway as I am taking it to a shop today to figure out what is really wrong...
  12. B

@ JoshMcMadMac - O'reilly quoted me $900+. They had three different people trying to pull it up in their system. I saw on here where several people said they got one on-line for about that price, but I don't have that kind of luck. I am sure I would go to the same place and they would say, " oh...
  13. B

The intake itself was not cracked. It is the insulation housing that slips around the lower intake that was all crakced. That wasn't it. I discovered the the P0201 was my stupidity in not plugging one of the injector relays in all the way. That is corrected now. However, the truck still revs to...
  14. B

So after deliberating on whether I had the testicular fortitude to attack replacing the intake manifold gaskets I decided I couldn't take the 3000rpm rev on start up any longer. I bought the gasket kit and got to work. Really wasnt as difficult as I expected. However, I was hoping that Ford...
  15. B

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

Thanks! Thanks Brooklyn! I have pondered it for two weeks and watched the same video instructions on how to do it three times, but I needed someone with more sense than me(other than my wife) to tell me not to do it.
  16. B

Found a way to stop high RPM start up

Hmmmm... I'm not sure if I want to jump in this or retired thread. However, my '03 revs to about 3K rpm every single morning for the past two months. Temp outside has ranged from 50s to 97. So am I to understand that when my truck cranks up in the morning and its 70 degrees that 3000 rpm s...
  17. B

5R55W Solenoid Block Replacement

Hope not too little too late I have found several posts and videos on YouTube about popping the caps off the back of each solenoid and removing the slides(?) and cleaning them. Can that really be as easy as it looks? How do you reattach the caps? One video said "glue them back on." What type of...
  18. B

Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED

I never said what kind of elbow I used. I went to NAPA and got a hard plastic elbow and attached 5/8 fuel line on either end to slip over existing lines. It fixed it and I am hoping that I won't have to replace that hard elbow for a long long time.
  19. B

4.6L Engine Problems Galore!

the fix I had the same problem. I went to NAPA and they had a hard plastic elbow that I attached about a 2 inch piece of 5/8 fuel line on either end and fixed the running bad. Service Engine Light will not go off by unhooking negative battery cable on 3rd gen. You must go to someone to get...
  20. B

Usually that works, bur Ford has truly dropped the ball on the 3rd gen X's. No tranny dipstick, 4 wheel independent suspension, push button woman's 4 WD. Remember the good ole' days when you could work on your own trucks with a simple set of standard sockets and combo wrenches. I tell you...
  21. B

broke both rear coil springs

Oh yeah - You wonder why our financial markets and everything else is going to crap. Because you foreign car lovers are supporting their economies and not ours. Make sure you don't whine too much about how the U.S. is now in debt to China and Japan for $6 billion dollars. Sorry - don't mean...
  22. B

broke both rear coil springs

You've gotta loe NAFTA. Thanks Bubba Clinton for that genius idea!
  23. B

Am I the only one who does this?

I would acknowledge other 3rd gens if they weren't driven by a bunch of women. I sware I really need to toughen up my X. I want to get a bul bar for the front, but can't find one for 03'. I also want to put round steps on and get rid of the crappy plastic steps. Sound advice - plastic steps will...
  24. B

You are the man... I had the same exact problem. I pulled that shroud off and located the elbow and sure as all there it was. All deteriorated and cracked. Saturday afternoon and of course all dealership parts depts. close at noon. I went to NAPA and asked the sales person for 1 foot of 5/8...
  25. B

Gex-p10xmt?

I think I had that once. The doctor gave me some ointment and it went away
Back