Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Greg_DonWindsor

Popping sound on cold starts

Hi all, Searched around looking for a potential cause for a minor issue I’ve developed, haven’t found anything conclusive. 4.6L V8 has developed a mild “popping sound” from the engine bay upon cold starts. To me I think it may be detonation or some sort of timing issue. The engine also seems...
  2. Greg_DonWindsor

Rear coolant leak, what parts needed?

Hi everyone, Experienced a bit of a coolant leak in the rear near all the hoses/fittings that presumably feed the rear heater core. These lines are visible underneath the truck behind the driver’s side rear tire. Aside from the obvious rear heater core, does anyone have any insight as to...
  3. Greg_DonWindsor

4th gen build - front speaker issue

Hey guys, this is my 2nd explorer and second aftermarket stereo build. Started out with the installation linked at my post over in the modified 4th gen forum: New 2008 Limited project truck Basically, I’ve installed a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX headunit with PAC harness, and JL C2-570x coaxial...
  4. Greg_DonWindsor

Best exhaust manifold studs?

I have the known issue with the 4th gen Explorer, an exhaust manifold leak on driver side. Will need to get a new one installed. Of those who’ve done it, what are the recommended studs to use to ensure this never happens again? Thanks for any help here, I’ve considered getting a complete...
  5. Greg_DonWindsor

Steering problem under weight

Hey all, Fairly new 4th gen owner here. My truck has developed an odd steering problem, wherein the wheel gets kind of stiff and hard to move through the radius every quarter turn of the wheel (so at 3, 6, 9 o clock). Power steering fluid level is fine, and i jacked up the front of the truck to...
  6. Greg_DonWindsor

Roof rail removal

Hi everyone, looking for a few pointers from anyone who has removed the roof rails on their 4th gen. I’ve already and easily removed the factory cross bars, as well as the black plastic caps on the front and rear of all the “landing pads” that anchor the chrome rails to the roof itself. All T20...
  7. Greg_DonWindsor

SOLD: K&N intake kit 4th gen 4.6L

For sale: brand new, in unopened box, K&N cold air intake kit for the 2006-2010 Explorer V8, and similar model year sport trac. It’s the kit with the metal intake tube, currently selling for $350USD on summit racing. Make me an offer, I was shipped two of these kits in error and can’t return it...
  8. Greg_DonWindsor

For Sale Superchips Cortex Tuner

For sale: Superchips cortex 1950 computer programmer. Will scan and clear DTC’s, display engine parameters, and tune for either 87, 89, or 91+ octane fuel. Max hp gain +20, max torque gain +28 when used on 1999-2010 Explorer SOHC 4.0L. $200 Canadian or best offer. Works with other Ford...
  9. Greg_DonWindsor

High Amp alternators

Found a few posts regarding alternators. I’m looking for a high amp output, of about 250amps+ in order to equip the charging system to handle my eventual electric fan and stereo upgrades. Found this one on Nations starter and alternator: 11026-250 High Amp Alternator for Ford F-150 Trucks and...
  10. Greg_DonWindsor

SOLD: Yakima Whispbar roof rack

Bought a new 2008 V8 4th Gen, and unfortunately my Yakima Whispbar locking roof rails don’t transfer over to the new truck. One of the only pieces I’m parting out from my old rig is the roof rack setup. Silver Yakima Whispbar roof rails, lockable, complete with a set of 2 keys. I would take $250...
  11. Greg_DonWindsor

New 2008 Limited project truck

Hi everyone, After 9 years of owning my 2000 Limited SOHC project V6, I’ve finally come around to parting ways with it and beginning a new project. I’d been posting in the modified 2nd gen forum for many years, and learned a lot about the truck there and used other owners’ helpful advice and...
  12. Greg_DonWindsor

Anyone still making/selling coilover brackets?

Growing very tired of annual LCA swaps and the poor feel of the torsion bar based front IFS. I know there was a thread about this long ago, I checked in the history and searched to the best of my abilities, is anyone still fabricating these conversion brackets? It was a guy on another Ranger...
  13. Greg_DonWindsor

DRL fix for ballast powered aftermarket projector headlights

I recently installed an add-a-relay kit from TheRetrofitSource to correct a long time issue with my aftermarket headlights. The HID projector low beams will often not function as DRL’s. This became in issue during safety inspections, and required manual switching of of the headlights during the...
  14. Greg_DonWindsor

Installed Powermaster 200amp Alternator

Hi everyone, I've been admittedly inactive around these parts for a little while, life can get hectic and work on my truck had taken a backseat to everything else. I've been experiencing electrical issues for some time now, not to mention an extemely annoying belt squeal upon initial startup...
  15. Greg_DonWindsor

Help me trick autolamp to produce DRL, need to pass inspection!

Hey guys, so a long time ago I'd installed one piece CCFL front headlights with HID low beams. My truck is a 2000 limited that has the auto lamp option, so that the headlights automatically come on when the vehicle senses that its dark out. My problem is because HID's do not come on at...
  16. Greg_DonWindsor

Wiring questions for electric fan install

Hey guys, Finally getting around to installing my flex a lite black magic 180 electric fan. I've studied the other threads by those of you who have also installed the unit, as well as my Haynes manual and the instructions included with the unit, and I'm left with a few wiring questions, as I...
  17. Greg_DonWindsor

4.0 SOHC Bad cold starts: A Theory

Living in Eastern Canada, My truck is often subjected to very cold winters, with temperatures sometimes plummeting to -25 to -30Celsius (-22F) for weeks at a time. My 4.0L SOHC engine during these temperatures experiences very poor cold starts. Upon startup in the morning, the engine will chug...
  18. Greg_DonWindsor

Morana's sohc V6 conversion intake manifold

http://www.moranav6racing.com/i.php?f=/img/Products/pictures/right%20side.JPG&d= Who will be the first to guinea pig this piece? I'm very intrigued!
  19. Greg_DonWindsor

Rear diff symptoms, fix recommendations needed

A strange minor rumble has begun emitting from my rear axle. It is only noticeable upon switching from Reverse to drive, usually on a hill when the drivetrain is under load. When I lightly roll onto the throttle after switching to Drive, I can feel a slight vibration coming from the rear end...
  20. Greg_DonWindsor

My 2000 Limited Build

I used to own a 1996 OHV 4.0 Explorer, that was unfortunately taken from me due to unaffordable insurance after an accident that I was wrongly blamed for. Many years later, I decided I wanted to buy another Explorer, as I always had plans for my original one, but it was taken from me too soon...
  21. Greg_DonWindsor

HID foglight install with pictures.

Hey guys, since I had so much trouble getting this HID foglight installation to work, dealing with several bulb and kit compatibility issues, and after having searched several threads on the topic, I decided to document my own experience due to all the hurdles I encountered, just in case anyone...
  22. Greg_DonWindsor

For those who've installed HID fog lights, how the heck do you plug them in?

I have a question for those of you who have installed HID fog lights on your second gen. I've searched the topic, read that the 9006 bulbs are supposed to be a direct fit, but I am having a problem connecting the HID bulbs to the stock foglight connector, pictured below. The part of the...
  23. Greg_DonWindsor

Traction bars for 2nd gen?

Has anyone ever outfitted their 2nd gen with a set of traction bars? I know there's that 5th shock designed to prevent axle wrap, but I feel like a set of traction bars would be better suited, especially when running bigger tires. I can't seem to find a set for this application, but does anyone...
  24. Greg_DonWindsor

Rear Sway Bar Link & Poly bushing assistance needed

Hey guys, bought some new Proforged rear sway bar links, and also the energy suspension rear poly bushing set. The new end links came with rubber bushings already installed, what's the best way to punch them out and install the new poly set? Thanks for any of your help with this. -Greg
  25. Greg_DonWindsor

Old exhaust tip removal difficulty

Hey everyone, Bought a new exhaust tip to replace my old one, which has become fairly tarnished looking after a few years. It's a Gibson slash tip, 8" long, 2.5" exhaust pipe diameter with a 3" exit, the exact replacement for my old one. I didn't expect the old one to come off easily, and...
Back