Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

My cooling fan won't shut off.

Kind of a weird problem I've got here. Yesterday I went on a short 60 mile (one way) road trip with 4 people in the Exploder. Halfway on the way up, I floored it to pass a van going at the speed of smell. The tach hit about 6k. Shortly after, my fan started going along with my...
  2. M

Painted XLS bumper cover?

Nice job! Now you just need to get on washing that truck. :p: How many coats did you use?
  3. M

Painted XLS bumper cover?

I was always a bit skeptical of using Krylon Fusion on the exterior for durability reasons. I ended up using the Duplicolor Bumper Paint. It's holding up pretty well. When you guys painted with Fusion, did you use a primer? Did you use a clear coat on top? How is it holding up?
  4. M

Squeak of death Windshield wipers

I hear ya man. The Earth yearns for the day of the compact midget. But let's think of some other options: A 400 degree windshield to dissolve water upon contact, good idea. Maybe that wizard guy from the Lord of the Rings telling the water "You shall not pass!", superb idea. But the best...
  5. M

98 SOHC tick, rattle; running with no belt?

Well I decided to just put the old one back in. The SOHC V6 must be God's gift to Explorers, because I only found 2 in the largest Junkyard in my state. I guess the bearings were shot in those, too. They both jiggled out about 1/8", So I guess I'm going to wait it out until the pump dies.
  6. M

Pity Bump. I got the pump out completely and it's at this point I'm deciding: new pump or rebuild the current. As I said before, the pulley slides back and forth slightly enough for it to create a ping. Other than that, no problems. Would it be worth it to get the $12 rebuild kit from...
  7. M

Replacing Power Steering Pump Pulley: 4.0 SOHC

Al, did this end up resolving the tick?
  8. M

Thanks for the input BIGHVM, but I pulled the belt off, started it, and there was no rattle. Like I said before, it would rattle prominently at both high and low engine temperatures. So I may have dodged a bullet, yet. After checking all of the pulleys, the Power Steering pulley pulls...
  9. M

Well from how it's been going, it rattles all the time. Sooo, that could either be a good thing (pulley) or a bad thing (anything but pulley). I just need to get around to doing this. From the little reading I've done, I pray that it's not the timing chain. My college, eating only off the $1...
  10. M

98 Sport, 4.0 SOHC, no mods Ok somebody is going to kick my butt with a previously started thread, but I wasn't able to find it with the search. So here goes: From the second my X starts to the second she shuts down there is a constant ticking, borderline rattle coming somewhere from...
  11. M

button on rearview mirror?

I take it your speedometer is broken. Either that or I wish my Explorer could do 120!
  12. M

Getting more HP out of my X with this set up

I'm still kinda shocked to find out a 351 can fit in that cramped little hood :eek: .
  13. M

Two Explorer Problems

I'd have to go with what fixxxer said. Go check if your sway bar bushings are worn, snapped. Give the suspension a couple bounces to see if any side is weaker than the others. About ball joints, well, idk the test for that.
  14. M

Your Choice of Trim and Bumper Paint (Photoshop Pics)

Should I use 400 grit sandpaper? What are some good prepping procedures? Ok I just got back from Advance. $8 for a can of truck bed paint :eek: . I've heard that I may need a couple cans to get the job done. I was thinking along the lines of 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint on the...
  15. M

Actually Charlie, the grille on my 'ploder was just $20 on ebay. It came black and unpainted. The fllat color was the basis for everything else on the truck that I'd like to do. I really thought about bringing the paint up like you did there, but it just takes away from that semi-stock look...
  16. M

anybody know why?

Maybe they aren't on the 05-01 models. Hmm, I had a '94 and the reflector popped off. Haha.
  17. M

Well it's about that time that my bumper and rocker panels are starting to just look plain nasty, so I figured I would take it all off and just paint it black to match my grille. A lot of people on here seem to recommend the duplicolor spray-on truck bed liner. Others prefer herculiner/rhino...
  18. M

anybody know why?

I thought they were reflectors.
  19. M

I regret getting rid of my ex

I regret getting a newer one. The '94XLT was a tank. I could have lifted it so much easier than this new one. Somehow it got better gas mileage.:confused: . And uh, the trunk was a lot more "spacious" (especially when the seats were folded down), seeing as it how it was a four door. All...
  20. M

How To Remove Stock Grille...??

The bottom of mine is pretty loose. There's no difference really.
  21. M

Finally installed my hook.

Looks nice. An after picture would be cool too. :)
  22. M

Rate of Tire Wear from a Torsion Twist

Are you saying I may need new camber adjusters to lift it higher, or I might need new ones based on the stress of the lift?
  23. M

new, and have a question

Most people here use the Warrior 1.5" Shackles. I recently did exactly what you just asked about (tt, shackles (Copperhead(sucks)), 31" tires) and the ride is a heck of a lot stiffer than before. I actually like the stiff truck handling, so to each his own. At some point, I believe it's...
  24. M

Rate of Tire Wear from a Torsion Twist

Alright, I just finished up the lift and took it for a quick test drive. Now I hear a little chirping. I sure hope the alignment will clear that up. I measured it from the base of the wheel to the bottom of the fender at 35". Then I got it up to 36" after all that work... One of the...
Back