Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Troubleshooting / Chugging, stalling, Fuel pump?

Hrm, Check the relay for the fuel pump... see if it is getting hot, and pull it out to see if the plastic on the bottom near the relay's terminals are melted at all. If so, could be the relay going bad, or a good sign that your fuel pump is going bad. If you haven't had it replaced, you...
  2. M

4x4 broken, help!

Thanks, I appreciate it! I'll have to google my way through some of the terms used, but it's better than anything else I've found. Thanks again! :D
  3. M

4x4 broken, help!

I hate to bring my old thread back to life ... but does anyone have good resources on how to replace the front passenger axle? (It's the Slip Yoke that is broken) I've scoured this site, and there's no step-by-step for how to do it that I can find. I'm still trying to sell my Explorer. I have...
  4. M

4x4 broken, help!

yea, i finally found out what it was two weeks ago. it's not worth it in my case to fix it so i plan to sell the explorer this summer. The mechanic said it was the spline joint? in the center of the front axle on the pasenger side. it's had play in it for a few years (i dont drive it much), and...
  5. M

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I've got a 1994 (1st gen) Ford Explorer EB edition... 190,000+ miles on it. My last trip (1,000 miles round trip), I got about 21mpg on the way there, and 23 mpg on the way back. Though, The only way I was able to even get above 19mpg was because I finally fixed my EGR valve and tube, and the...
  6. M

4x4 broken, help!

Okay, so I did the test that was suggested... it only makes noise during sharp turns when the front passenger hub is locked and it's in 4x4 (driver side unlocked). I was trying to avoid anything too labor-intensive, as I have to do it all outdoors (no garage, cold weather), and didn't really...
  7. M

4x4 broken, help!

Last night I tried locking the hubs again, and it still made that noise ... it sounds like gears grinding against each other - the best I can describe it. I'll try the turning thing later today! Can't exactly jack it up right now... still lots of snow on the ground (but finally melting! -now...
  8. M

4x4 broken, help!

interesting theory. i'll have to try locking them up again to see if something was frozen. it's been above freezing lately for once. i'll try that tonight actually and get back to ya. i doubt its the case ... never had the issue before.
  9. M

4x4 problem and bad mileage on 1994 Sport

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=11520 Driving style does have a lot to do with gas mileage as well, and the 'type' of city driving you do - mine usually always involves really steep roads and the explorer usually isn't running more than 2-5 miles at a...
  10. M

4x4 broken, help!

Yea, it had the auto-hubs, but the previous owner switched it over to the WARN hubs so I didn't have anything to do with it. Last time I took it in to the shop, they replaced the notched-ring thingy (lol) that helps keep the wheel bearings, etc, tightened... so I'm hoping the wheel bearings are...
  11. M

4x4 broken, help!

Hey guys (and gals): I've searched the forum and wasn't able to find any info on my specific problem... I just want to confirm what I think is wrong, is in-fact wrong. My WARN Manual Hubs are generally locked all the time in winter, as I use 4x4 a lot up here. I had them unlocked for a...
  12. M

4x4 problem and bad mileage on 1994 Sport

I agree with MayJan on the gas mileage! I usually get 9-11mpg city, and before a recent repair got ~18-19 highway. My EGR Valve&Tube AND DPFE (I believe... the sensor for the EGR) were bad, and I replaced them myself - I now seem to be getting an amazing 22-23 highway, going 55mph (speed limit...
  13. M

The only reason I haven't replaced it is because it's so rusted, if I tried to remove it, I'd bust the exhaust manifold (most likely). Having a shop do it would cost well over $200 cuz of the labor. Parts alone are like $150, last I checked ... for a new EGR valve and new EGR tube (because that...
  14. M

Any suggestions for mufflers to increase fuel economy? I have a '94 Explorer, and don't think my muffler will last through this winter. It's completely rusted on the outside, but still functioning ('cept I tore the muffler-guard off last week when I went over a metal pole in my yard, but that's...
  15. M

Belt squeel i cant get rid of

I replaced the idler today and the tensioner pulley, and the same squeal was there. The engine still runs cool, so how would I go about seeing if it's the water pump?
  16. M

Belt squeel i cant get rid of

Hey all... I have the same problem with my explorer. Unfortunately I don't have the time nor equipment to take everything off and sand blast it to fix the problem :) When the engine is cold, something squeals like crazy, but is fine once the engine is warm. I've replaced the Tensioner...
  17. M

Unfortunately, I live in the boonies and the nearest Advance Auto is... too far away (we're talking like a 2+ hour drive). Shipping would take too long, as snow is on its way here and I need the 4-wheel drive to get around. If it weren't for the steep hills I have to climb every day, I'd...
  18. M

So, after my XplorR sat in the drive for about a month, I finally was able to get it towed to the Ford Dealership to have the problem diagnosed and fixed. Turns out the wires are 100% A-okay. They determined the problem to indeed be the fuel pump. I called Deforge Auto that had installed the...
  19. M

Heh, Found the paperwork for my Fuel Pump. I've only driven 4,000 miles!!! Talk about pissed... It's been a year and 4 months since it was replaced... it's my winter vehicle, so it doesn't see much driving. My entire Fuel Sending Unit was replaced because it rusted out and was leaking gas out...
  20. M

I replaced the fuel filter... Though simply connected, it was horrible to replace. First tool I bought worked like crap, and the second I bought (the plastic kind) worked great... but still took a while. Long story short. It still won't run. When turning the key on (KOEO), I don't hear the...
  21. M

After letting it sit for a few minutes (enough time for me to come in and use the computer), I can turn the key and see the pressure gauge go up to 20psi again... maybe the relay had to cool down? I'm going to check to see if maybe the wires got damaged and are shorting out. Any other ideas...
  22. M

devilboy222: I didn't "replace" it but switched out a relay with another one in the power distribution box that was the same. Supposedly, the mechanic replaced the entire fuel pump/sender assembly as it had rusted through and I was leaking gas and/or gas vapors from the top of the tank (could...
  23. M

okay... I was just out playing around with it making sure my previous post was correct. Everything was correct, but this time the engine kept running for a good 20+ seconds with the fuel pressure at Zero before stalling. When I tried to prime the fuel pump again, nothing happened. ($%#$). Read...
  24. M

Okay, so I borrowed a Fuel Pressure Gauge and got a reading. I also pulled the codes. The only code that came up was "565", which has been the cause of my check engine light for quite a while. With the fuel pressure gauge, 'priming' the fuel pump would get me around 20PSI. While running it...
  25. M

Would that be feasible, though? For a fuel filter to go bad after ~2 years of use and less than ~15,000 miles? I had a Fram fuel filter put in... by a trusted mechanic.
Back