Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Rebuilding a 2004 Sport Trac 8.8 axle

Cables from East Coast Gear Supply showed up today, got them installed and the fit is so much better. The hole where the actuator slides through fits and it does not try to slide down to the base. Also I don't have to screw the adjuster for the spot where the 3 cables come together to the max...
  2. S

BTW: here is a picture of the final product...
  3. S

I TV turns out this is a common problem wh ed n putting an 8.8 in a Jeep. East Coast Gear Supply sells a pair of cables to re as love the issue. Ordered a set yesterday, should be here tomorrow. Thanks for you r.c input, you are correct they are too long and the hole is too big.
  4. S

See attached picture, been fighting this since installing the 8.8 in my Jeep. As you can see, the cable wants to slide down towards the backing plate. A couple of thoughts I have had... The cable is off of a Cherokee and was recommended for this project, can someone look at the cable on...
  5. S

Anyone running 15" rims on their SportTrac

I would like to run ProComp 7069 15x8 rims on a SportTrac axle from a 2003. I know in 2003 15" rims where not an option on the Sport Trac, but is anyone running them? A little more details... I pulled a SportTrac axle from a boneyard and put it into my 2005 Jeep Wrangler. I did this using...
  6. S

Was able to read the tag... Line 1: EHP OIL ONLY Line 2: Y75W900FEHP However, also read the instructions for the install of the carbon fiber clutch kit M4700C, who needs instructions when you have YouTube (obviously, I do). It lists in parts not included in the kit F3TZ-4121-AA which is a new...
  7. S

Again, thanks for everyone's advice as I move through this. Plan to pull Dana 35 out on Friday and install 8.8 on Saturday. Any recommendations on gear oil for the 8.8 with the TracLok?
  8. S

Completed the TracLok rebuild last night. Use of the needle nose pliers to insert spring was easier than I thought it would be. Went better than I expected. I will be adding the remainder of the friction modifier tonight and the gear lube. Cleaning up and painting calipers tonight as well...
  9. S

Thanks, I will try that, saw that in a YouTube video as well. The thing looks dangerous, vise grip on the spring will help slow it down if it goes flying. Here are my latest pics... Thanks. John
  10. S

Pulled the TracLok out today, definitely the right choice to replace. 6.300mm on one of the stacks well out of tolerance, no material left on the friction discs. New disc should be her on Tuesday, hope I can get the spring clip back in. John
  11. S

You know that feeling when you realize you screwed something up real bad... For the first time since getting the brackets welded on and the tubes welded to the diff, I tried to load up the axles. Passenger side slid right in, Drivers side slid right in and then stopped about an inch short...
  12. S

Time for an update and a question... First the question, looked at a shop manual for a Ford F150 and noticed that the bolts holding the cailper bracket to the axle have the nuts on the brake side of the bracket. Looked back at pictures of my axle from before I took the bracket off and the nuts...
  13. S

AppleTech, can't argue with you on that one, but, need to consider my budget. With a kid in college and another to start soon gotta watch the bottom line. My plan is to run it with the LSD while possibly adding a lunchbox locker to the front. At a later date, I will probably open the rear...
  14. S

Will be replacing the axle bearings and seals, what brand do you Ford guys recommend for the 8.8? Should I go with Ford parts? Model numbers would also help. Thanks, John
  15. S

Who is your go to for Ford supplies. Looking for a good price on the M-4700-C Carbon Fiber TracLok rebuild kit. I have dealt with Summit Racing before, looks like they want $112 for the kit with free shipping. Anyplace else I should look? Thanks, John
  16. S

Took a little break, got back to it tonight. Pulled axles out, seen videos of people doing it, but surely mine won't be that easy, pleasantly surprised took just a few minutes. Put everything in the diff back together and removed everything bolted on the ends of the axles. Will need to do a...
  17. S

See anything I should be concerned about? Got the brackets removed and ground down level with the tubes.
  18. S

Got the brackets removed and ground down, removed some rust, still have some to go.... Photo by John Larsen Photo by John Larsen Photo by John Larsen http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/sn95gt50/88%20Upgrade/Pass%20Side.jpg
  19. S

I would love to stumble upon a Dana 44 front I can afford, bonus would be the 4.10s.
  20. S

Here is the kit I'm probably going with, probably without the Truss. I do like how the truss lines everything up. Got a litle more work done last night, ground what was left of the brackets down to even with tubes.
  21. S

What are you installing yours on?
  22. S

Are you planning to weld the axle tubes to the diff?
  23. S

My cut off discs are from Harbor Freight, need I saw more :). Not sure on prepping the diff, as porous as it is, I don't think it will take much. I plan to put a base down of POR-15 with a rattle can top coat. Plan to finish the bracket removal this weekend and get the axles pulled and...
  24. S

Made some progress the last couple of days. pulled the cover and everything looks good, no spare metal floating around. Diff fluid was pretty dark. Confirmed the gears are 4.10s . Cut off the two passenger side brackets, need a grinding disk to remove the remainder. Did a little sanding to...
  25. S

What material is the factory clutches? I've seen ceramic and now carbon fiber. What are the advantages/trade-offs of each. Thanks, John
Back