Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

New FORD SUV : ESCAPE ( with pics )

This is what year???!!! Oh crap! I guess I'm still stuck in the late 80's and early 90's. I like a classic look. Although- it's neat looking. I'll stick to my 91 Explorer. Thanks though- Ford.
  2. S

Third shock?, or strut in '95 explorer?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the rear shock that you are talking about is a result of the infamous vibration problem of the 19-94 explorers. Ford redesigned the motor mounts and added that shock to help with after shake of the rear end. It is supposed to tighten things up a bit. I have...
  3. S

Shock Lengths

tiessen,Your gas mileage will not really be any better with a 4" lift and skinnier tires. I have the 4" Skyjacker lift with 33x12.5's. The main reason your gas is down is because of the gearing in your axles. If you still have the 3.55 gears in there your mileage is going to be crap. You need to...
  4. S

Bent Drop Down Brackets???

Boy- I don't know what I would do if I didn't always have a problem with my Explorer! Anyway, I have been trying to figure out why my truck's left tie-rod end is maxed out. I think I have found the problem, but I need you guys help! I have the 4" Skyjacker suspension and I think the bracket's...
  5. S

Solid Axle Swap??

I'm going to have to totallt agree with you on the 35 and 44 TNexplorer! I had started to think the same thing about a year ago when I compared the bearings with my dad's 78 full size pickup 4x4. Once he decides to trash his truck I'm going to swipe the front axle. I think he's getting rid of it...
  6. S

Solid Axle Swap??

Sounds excellent! I think you may have a part time job developing!!! Hint! I can't wait to check your truck out! It sounds like it's gonna be a billy goat on the trails! Spike
  7. S

Solid Axle Swap??

TNExplorer- Hey I see that you live in Tennesse. I'd be interested in popping by some time in the spring or summer. I live in Hampton Virginia. My brother-in-law and his wife live near Fort Campell. I'd really like to get a hands on look at your truck. I'm tellen ya' the '91-'94 Ford Explorer is...
  8. S

Solid Axle Swap??

Man, I'm glad to hear somebody has done it! As far as I'm concerned with the Dana 35 it already feels like my buddies solid axle truck. I have been doing research all day today finding every photo I could and I also came to the conclusion to use a 77 Bronco Dana 44 axle. I went to alot of the...
  9. S

Changing my Explorer into a 4WD

I just noticed in my last reply that I can't spell worth a crap! Must be all the coffee I'm drinking! Sorry about that Stew. I hope you can figure my mess. Take care.
  10. S

Changing my Explorer into a 4WD

Hey Stew. The 4 wheel drive Explorer and 2 whee ldrive are two totally different beasts. The cost of performing this delicate operation on a 98 no less would far outweigh saving up money to but a 4 wheel drive version and selling you 2 wheel drive. I'm not trying to sound like a butt or...
  11. S

Solid Axle Swap??

Would it be more cost effective for me to have one custom made or go to a junk yard and get a Dana 44 Solid Axle and have it sized correctly? Would my original gears fit in the pumpkin? Should I go with leaf springs or track bars and springs? Sorry to hear about the rear end. I know that hurts.
  12. S

Solid Axle Swap??

Hello. I have been thinking about swapping out my Dana 35 TTB front end on my '91 Explorer 4 door with a solid front axle. I need ideas as to wheather it is possible and if it is what axle to go with. I already have a 4" SkyJacker suspension lift in place with 33x12.5" tires. Would a old Bronco...
  13. S

Ken White, Virginia

Year: 1991 Model: Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4 door, Green & Tan 4" SkyJacker Suspension lift. 33x12.5" B.F. Goodrich Tires on 15x8" rims State: I'm in Virginia City: Hampton E-Mail: kennywhite@erols.com
  14. S

How do you tell if Mounts are Broken???

How do you tell if the engine mounts need to be replaced? I was told that if a pin is sticking up or something that it was broken. Is this true? If so then one pin is sticking up and the other one on the other side isn't. Anyone have any clue? I have read all my manuals and they don't say...
  15. S

How do you tell if Mounts are Broken???

How do you tell if the engine mounts need to be replaced? I was told that if a pin is sticking up or something that it was broken. Is this true? If so then one pin is sticking up and the other one on the other side isn't. Anyone have any clue? I have read all my manuals and they don't say...
  16. S

MINI-SHOCK

Hey, The bar is there to get rid of the vibration problems that plaques all explorer but specifically the 91-94 explorers. At speeds of 60 on up these year Fords prduced a vibration problem that shakes you to death. I have a 91 and am having a terrible time with the shakes. Ford egineered a...
  17. S

VVVIIIIBBBRRRAATTTTIIOOONNN!!!!

Hey, Would all of you that have a 4 or 6" lift please take some closeup photos of your suspension. Of particulat interest is the pivot points and the center crossmember. Mine is sitting kinda ****wise and the alignment shop stated that my right axle is sitiinf 2 degrees back and they can't...
  18. S

I have replaced ALL of the front end on my truck. When I say ALL I mean ALL of it! I just replaced the steering ball joints up front. What a pain in the butt!!!! Haven't had time to align it yet so I'm all over the road! LLOOKKKK OOOUUUUTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
  19. S

Hey Rick, I was just wondering if you have this vibration problem with your explorer, or if any of the people with photos on this site have this problem?
  20. S

I thought I had gotten rid of the vibrations, but I haven't. They are back. I'm beginning to really dislike my ride. From what I have heard each and every explorer is a hit or miss. Must be the maufacturer.
  21. S

I found that the problem isn't my tires or balancing. I found a terrible stress crack on the flange inside the right side radius arm bracket. I replaced it, new bushings from Auto Zone (the red ones) and got a realignment. No shakes anymore. It seems the crack has been there since before I even...
  22. S

Vibration Help

I have found the problem! After 2 years I have found the vibration that not even the ford experts could find! My right side radius arm has a crack in it! I had never looked really close and examined the flange where the radius arm comes through. It it a stress crack. I obviously was in an...
  23. S

My tires are practacally brand new. Like I said though, it did this even it its stock P225 tire form sitting low to the ground. I've been reading some other sections and they state that some explorers do it and some don't. I sure wish ford would back the products they make.
  24. S

Vibration Help

The shocks that are on it are the Hydra shocks that come with the Skyjacker system. I originally had Rancho 5000's when I had a body lift, but it still vibrated. HeeHeee. It's frustrating alright!
  25. S

Pulsating voltage gauge and headlights.......

I just went through the same thing. When you install a new alternator you also have to install a new wiring harness that goes into the alternator or it will eventually catch on fire. TRUST ME! I KNOW! Also, you have to change the voltage regulator on the back of the alt. It's the grey box...
Back