Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

http://www.pbblaster.com/
  2. O

Picking up a used tranny tomorrow

For anyone who finds this thread while searching the same thing: The tranny was exactly the same and works perfectly. Well, exactly the same except that it works :). Fluid was clean and bright. No shift flare, works great.
  3. O

99 vs 2001 5r55e-- any differences?

As it turns out, the transmission works beautifully. Happy about that.
  4. O

Thanks for the info and advice, guys. I'll update with the end results once it's in. Hopefully they'll get it done today. Then my wife gets to figure out how to clean up all the tranny fluid in the back. :P
  5. O

Yes, it was part of it. I had thought of that so I made sure they included it.
  6. O

The black plastic piece behind the shift lever in the bottom middle of the picture? It didn't look broken. If it is, hopefully the one on the original tranny isn't.
  7. O

What/where is the DTR sensor?
  8. O

On it's way home: After I moved it to the back of my wife's Mountaineer, it tipped over on the way to the tranny shop, and dumped about 1/2 gallon of tranny fluid. It was dripping out of the tailgate when we got there. Lovely.
  9. O

But everything else is the same, so the ISS can just be left disconnected? The place I'm getting it from has some from 99's as well, but they're all much higher miles.
  10. O

It's a 4.0l, and I do have the 5r55e. The 2nd and 5th gear ratio incorrect codes it threw at one point proved that :). I posted over in the tranny section too, we'll see what I get. Thanks!
  11. O

I am picking up a used tranny for my 99 Mountaineer tomorrow (4.0L 4WD). THe one that I have selected at this point is from an '01 Explorer with 75k miles on it. Are there any differences between the years that might make this anything other than a direct swap? Also, is there anything that...
  12. O

So I'm picking up a used 5R55E from a yard about an hour away (75k miles so I hope it'll be good). I'll be having a shop put it in, but just was wondering if there's anything I should maybe do to it while it's in hand (hehe)? Also, about how much do those things weigh? Do you think a friend...
  13. O

Slow shifts out of first, flashing OD light

I brought it in today to get the codes read and have a trans tech test drive it. The codes were 2nd gear ration wrong, and 5th gear ratio wrong. It also is having trouble engaging the forward clutch (both first and reverse don't always have much right away) and often when you coast the clutch...
  14. O

I did not end up dropping the pan, as the jug of fluid I got was not Mercon V compatible. I did notice that now it does not shift into overdrive anymore. This seems to point to the overdrive servo. Is this something that can be replaced with the transmission in the truck? Is it part of the...
  15. O

I'm going to drop the pan, change the filter, and get some fresh fluid in it tonight. Gonna be a week or so before I can get a solenoid pack, so I figure it can only help until then. Hopefully I don't find any ominous metal chunks lying in there...
  16. O

I can't seem to find a part number for the solenoid pack-- looked on fordparts.com and the Tousley ford websites. Can anyone help with that?
  17. O

That actually looks pretty easy. Thanks!
  18. O

I don't seem to be having any luck finding that how-to thread. Anyone have it bookmarked by chance?
  19. O

Nope, didn't fix it. Time to search out the how-to for replacing the solenoid pack.
  20. O

Replaced the TPS tonight since 24.99 and 5 minutes is better than the alternative, and it might work. It still seems to be shifting late into 2nd, though, but seems better. I've disconnected the battery and am letting it sit for a while. I've wasted 25 bucks on a lot worse. I'm not expecting...
  21. O

Can either of those fixes be accomplished lying under the vehicle in my garage w/o removing the transmission? How complicated is the job? My most complex thing that I've done was a lower intake gasket on a 2000 Grand Am-- involved removing pretty much all the accessories, upper intake, valve...
  22. O

1999 Mtneer 4.0 SOHC 4x4. 158000 miles. A few weeks ago, it started doing a thing where it would occasionally free rev in drive unless you put it in 2nd or neutral and back in drive. At that point, I checked the transmission fluid, and it was about a quart low. I topped it off and forgot...
  23. O

Front diff pinion seal replacement

Oh, you get to it from the side and not the front cover? That'll be better. I picked up a gear lube pump tonight, and I'll probably top it off tomorrow. Can't have it running dry and toasting itself before I get this fixed.
  24. O

Front diff pinion seal replacement

My '99 Mtneer 4.0L 4WD is dripping fairly steadily from the pinion seal on the front differential. I was thinking of taclking this myself. What's all involved with this job? Is there a how-to somewhere? I've had both driveshafts off before to replace u-joints, so removing it won't be a...
  25. O

Are the fuel rails on a 97 SOHC the same as a 99?

I rolled the dice and went out there-- the fuel rail is actually the same. The only difference is what connects to each end of it. After the PITA 1 hour removal job in the 15* temps and wind, I'm glad for that. Now to get the thing buttoned back up and on the road...
Back