Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

98 AWD wont move :(

Check the TC is not in neutral Before you think of swapping the TC, you can verify it is not in neutral. If the shift motor failed, for whatever the reason, during a 4L to 4H shift, the TC could have stopped when in neutral. You can take out the shift motor and check where the shift shaft is...
  2. P

How to: 2nd Gen 4wd Troubleshooting Guide

I absolutely agree, shift motor is responsible for range selection ONLY. I would contend, however, that many people searching trough Explorerforum can confuse 4x4 with low range. Having myself experienced the problem subject of this post, and after reading lots of threads to understand my...
  3. P

4x4 & low 4x4 flashing

Check if the TC is unplugged Ben, The 4x4 high and 4x4 low flashing lights (they flash 6 times every two --exact- minutes) might be indicating you that the connector to the Transfer case (actually the shift motor) is unplugged. That would be enough reason for your X not engaging in 4x4. Crawl...
  4. P

5th to neutral (downshifting) and O/D blinking

Just for future reference: I crawled under the X this weekend. This is what I found: There were two missing bolts in the TC/rear driveshaft bride. The remaining two bolts were already loose. --> Learning here: do never forget to use thread lock whenever you tight your driveshaft bolts. The...
  5. P

2001 ST stuck in 4x4 high

Tap the shift motor, but be careful about how hard you tap... I read somewhere here somebody broke the magnets inside the motor because of tapping too hard... G.
  6. P

98 explorer gearbox or tranny nosie

I was experiencing some symptoms very similar to yours recently, just after I serviced my transfer case. I also had that sort of vibration in the steering wheel and that thump thump noise. A long story short, I happened to forget to put thread lock in the bolts that match the rear driveshaft...
  7. P

Dug myself into a hell of a hole, need help

I'm not a beast, and this is what I did: I went thru all of this about 3 weeks ago, know your suffering... I also tried to make craddles to it, but it's not only the TC shape what doesn't help, it's mainly the unevenness of the weight distribution what makes it harder. This was my setup...
  8. P

TC rebuilt, and NEW PROBLEMS This is a very late reply... I worked on the TC about 3 weeks ago. It had one arm of the hi-lo fork broken, so the hi-lo collar was able to move somewaht freely from H to N to L. That very much explains why the shift shaft could be moved "softly", and why the car...
  9. P

looks like problems in the Transfer Case Thanks Brooklyn, I scanned the X this weekend, and got no code stored for the O/D blinking light. It is shifting OK 1st to 5th, but over revved. I'm afraid it's engaged in 4H (I did some further tests accelerating suddenly in grass). I had the shift...
  10. P

Hi guys, Last weekend I had this situation with my 98 5r55e X: As I was highway driving at about 63 mph (the X was already in 5th gear), I released the gas pedal for a little while, and when tryed to gas it back, it went neutral and whine a bit. I let it continue (no whining) and after...
  11. P

My Hydrogen Cell Works

spark delay Hey, very interesting job! I'd like to ask only one question: what did you do to adjust the delay of the sparkplugs firing? I've read before that H2 boosters were easier to install in old-style carburator cars, as delaying the firing of sparkplugs was just a matter of turning a...
  12. P

Greetings from Colombia

Hi! I'm new to the forum and to my recently bought Explorer XLT 98. It's a 4.0 SOHC with an (from the gear change count, I guess 5r55) Automatic tranny; assembled in Venezuela and bought with only 105.000 Km on the clock --65.625 mi--. It's what is called here the "elite" version: leather...
Back